Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013

Deadly_Rabbit123 wrote:

Backwards compatibility is on its way out for consoles.  I buy new systems to play new games...  However, There is plans to stream old ps3 games to the ps4 BUT you will most likely have to repurchase them.


Not entirely, just mostly on Sony consoles it seems. There are rumors that the other console might be backwards compatible( I don't think we are allowed to name non PlayStation consoles here). I guess we will just have to wait and see, I buy new consoles so I can play the new games as well, but I want my old games to be supported on it as well.  I wonder how Gaikai will work but your right, people may have to re-buy those games again if they want to stream them.

Message 11 of 112 (244 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28982 posts
 

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Apr 21, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

Deadly_Rabbit123 wrote:

Backwards compatibility is on its way out for consoles.  I buy new systems to play new games...  However, There is plans to stream old ps3 games to the ps4 BUT you will most likely have to repurchase them.


Not entirely, just mostly on Sony consoles it seems. There are rumors that the other console might be backwards compatible( I don't think we are allowed to name non PlayStation consoles here). I guess we will just have to wait and see, I buy new consoles so I can play the new games as well, but I want my old games to be supported on it as well.  I wonder how Gaikai will work but your right, people may have to re-buy those games again if they want to stream them.


I know that's what the gamer cognoscenti believs, but it's not entirely true. Shortly after Sony removed PS2 playback from their console, Microsoft stopped "adding games" to their's. Yet we don't see the same kind of rancor over this descision, probably because everyone seems to think Bill Gates is a "swell guy" for fixing their console for free, even though I would have been ticked at him for selling me a bum machine that broke out of the box.

Message 12 of 112 (239 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Deadly_Rabbit123 wrote:

Backwards compatibility is on its way out for consoles.  I buy new systems to play new games...  However, There is plans to stream old ps3 games to the ps4 BUT you will most likely have to repurchase them.


Not entirely, just mostly on Sony consoles it seems. There are rumors that the other console might be backwards compatible( I don't think we are allowed to name non PlayStation consoles here). I guess we will just have to wait and see, I buy new consoles so I can play the new games as well, but I want my old games to be supported on it as well.  I wonder how Gaikai will work but your right, people may have to re-buy those games again if they want to stream them.


I know that's what the gamer cognoscenti believs, but it's not entirely true. Shortly after Sony removed PS2 playback from their console, Microsoft stopped "adding games" to their's. Yet we don't see the same kind of rancor over this descision, probably because everyone seems to think Bill Gates is a "swell guy" for fixing their console for free, even though I would have been ticked at him for selling me a bum machine that broke out of the box.


Well I don't like discussing about other platforms here, but I just wanted to say that, yeah, it's true Microsoft did stop adding games to their list, but Microsoft never took away what they already gave. They simply stopped adding, where as Sony took away the entire thing after they added the feature, Secondly, the competition hasn't even announce their new system yet so it's too early to say "backwards compatibility for consoles is dying". 

 

 In fact, there are rumors that the next Xbox will backwards compatible. It's still a rumor so I won't treat it as fact. The Wii U is backwards compatible so if the next Xbox is indeed backwards compatible, then the PS4 will be the only console with no backwards compatibility.

 

 The point is that Sony only removed backwards compatibility to encourage PS3 sales, which in my opinion. was not a good way to go about it. They admitted that backwards compatibility was not that expensive. What is confirmed is that backwards compatibility is currently dead with Sony consoles, like the PS3 and PS4 although the Vita is backwards compatible so Sony backwards compatibility is not entirely dead.

 

 

Message 13 of 112 (236 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 08/07/2009
Online
13611 posts
 

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Apr 21, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Deadly_Rabbit123 wrote:

Backwards compatibility is on its way out for consoles.  I buy new systems to play new games...  However, There is plans to stream old ps3 games to the ps4 BUT you will most likely have to repurchase them.


Not entirely, just mostly on Sony consoles it seems. There are rumors that the other console might be backwards compatible( I don't think we are allowed to name non PlayStation consoles here). I guess we will just have to wait and see, I buy new consoles so I can play the new games as well, but I want my old games to be supported on it as well.  I wonder how Gaikai will work but your right, people may have to re-buy those games again if they want to stream them.


I know that's what the gamer cognoscenti believs, but it's not entirely true. Shortly after Sony removed PS2 playback from their console, Microsoft stopped "adding games" to their's. Yet we don't see the same kind of rancor over this descision, probably because everyone seems to think Bill Gates is a "swell guy" for fixing their console for free, even though I would have been ticked at him for selling me a bum machine that broke out of the box.


Well I don't like discussing about other platforms here, but I just wanted to say that, yeah, it's true Microsoft did stop adding games to their list, but Microsoft never took away what they already gave. They simply stopped adding, where as Sony took away the entire thing after they added the feature, Secondly, the competition hasn't even announce their new system yet so it's too early to say "backwards compatibility for consoles is dying". 

 

The point is that Sony only removed backwards compatibility to encourage PS3 sales, which in my opinion. was not a good way to go about it. They admitted that backwards compatibility was not that expensive. What is confirmed is that backwards compatibility is currently dead with Sony consoles, like the PS3 and PS4 although the Vita is backwards compatible so Sony backwards compatibility is not entirely dead.

 

 


Well it's not hard to be "dead" for consoles, when you only have 3 consoles anyway, with 1 more on the way.

 

Besides, as has been pointed out, PS3 B/C is much costlier than PS2 B/C ever was, and pushingg PS3 sales is a perfectly reasonable move by any business.

 

You don't buy a PS3 to play PS2 games. Sure, it's a nice bonus, but the whole point was to get people to play the new games.
 And I don't recall people complaining that "But my PS2 will die if they remove B/C" and all that, since by the time B/C was removed, PS2 trade-in value was like $20 so no one would bother.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 14 of 112 (227 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Deadly_Rabbit123 wrote:

Backwards compatibility is on its way out for consoles.  I buy new systems to play new games...  However, There is plans to stream old ps3 games to the ps4 BUT you will most likely have to repurchase them.


Not entirely, just mostly on Sony consoles it seems. There are rumors that the other console might be backwards compatible( I don't think we are allowed to name non PlayStation consoles here). I guess we will just have to wait and see, I buy new consoles so I can play the new games as well, but I want my old games to be supported on it as well.  I wonder how Gaikai will work but your right, people may have to re-buy those games again if they want to stream them.


I know that's what the gamer cognoscenti believs, but it's not entirely true. Shortly after Sony removed PS2 playback from their console, Microsoft stopped "adding games" to their's. Yet we don't see the same kind of rancor over this descision, probably because everyone seems to think Bill Gates is a "swell guy" for fixing their console for free, even though I would have been ticked at him for selling me a bum machine that broke out of the box.


Well I don't like discussing about other platforms here, but I just wanted to say that, yeah, it's true Microsoft did stop adding games to their list, but Microsoft never took away what they already gave. They simply stopped adding, where as Sony took away the entire thing after they added the feature, Secondly, the competition hasn't even announce their new system yet so it's too early to say "backwards compatibility for consoles is dying". 

 

The point is that Sony only removed backwards compatibility to encourage PS3 sales, which in my opinion. was not a good way to go about it. They admitted that backwards compatibility was not that expensive. What is confirmed is that backwards compatibility is currently dead with Sony consoles, like the PS3 and PS4 although the Vita is backwards compatible so Sony backwards compatibility is not entirely dead.

 

 


Well it's not hard to be "dead" for consoles, when you only have 3 consoles anyway, with 1 more on the way.

 

Besides, as has been pointed out, PS3 B/C is much costlier than PS2 B/C ever was, and pushingg PS3 sales is a perfectly reasonable move by any business.

 

I am aware that PS B/C is more costly than PS B/C, that's not the point. The point is that it is too early to say console backwards compatiblity is dead. It's only dead on Sony consoels right now.

 

You don't buy a PS3 to play PS2 games. Sure, it's a nice bonus, but the whole point was to get people to play the new games.
 And I don't recall people complaining that "But my PS2 will die if they remove B/C" and all that, since by the time B/C was removed, PS2 trade-in value was like $20 so no one would bother.

 

Yeah, you don't buy a new console to only play old games, I never said that was why you buy a new console, however it's not unreasonable to expect old games to work on new consoles. Backwards compatibility gives a good reason for some people to stick a certain company. Considering most games are on multiple platforms, backwards compatibility could be a factor if they go for the next console from a certain company or not. Sony built PSN as an echo system with the whole trophie, PSN store, etc.  I think therewere  people who worried about their PS2 breaking, but also people like the PS3's ability to upscale PS2 games, wireless controllers and virtual memory cards,etc.

 

 

 


 

Message 15 of 112 (222 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/07/2009
Online
13611 posts
 

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Apr 21, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Deadly_Rabbit123 wrote:

Backwards compatibility is on its way out for consoles.  I buy new systems to play new games...  However, There is plans to stream old ps3 games to the ps4 BUT you will most likely have to repurchase them.


Not entirely, just mostly on Sony consoles it seems. There are rumors that the other console might be backwards compatible( I don't think we are allowed to name non PlayStation consoles here). I guess we will just have to wait and see, I buy new consoles so I can play the new games as well, but I want my old games to be supported on it as well.  I wonder how Gaikai will work but your right, people may have to re-buy those games again if they want to stream them.


I know that's what the gamer cognoscenti believs, but it's not entirely true. Shortly after Sony removed PS2 playback from their console, Microsoft stopped "adding games" to their's. Yet we don't see the same kind of rancor over this descision, probably because everyone seems to think Bill Gates is a "swell guy" for fixing their console for free, even though I would have been ticked at him for selling me a bum machine that broke out of the box.


Well I don't like discussing about other platforms here, but I just wanted to say that, yeah, it's true Microsoft did stop adding games to their list, but Microsoft never took away what they already gave. They simply stopped adding, where as Sony took away the entire thing after they added the feature, Secondly, the competition hasn't even announce their new system yet so it's too early to say "backwards compatibility for consoles is dying". 

 

The point is that Sony only removed backwards compatibility to encourage PS3 sales, which in my opinion. was not a good way to go about it. They admitted that backwards compatibility was not that expensive. What is confirmed is that backwards compatibility is currently dead with Sony consoles, like the PS3 and PS4 although the Vita is backwards compatible so Sony backwards compatibility is not entirely dead.

 

 


Well it's not hard to be "dead" for consoles, when you only have 3 consoles anyway, with 1 more on the way.

 

Besides, as has been pointed out, PS3 B/C is much costlier than PS2 B/C ever was, and pushingg PS3 sales is a perfectly reasonable move by any business.

 

I am aware that PS B/C is more costly than PS B/C, that's not the point. The point is that it is too early to say console backwards compatiblity is dead. It's only dead on Sony consoels right now.

 

You don't buy a PS3 to play PS2 games. Sure, it's a nice bonus, but the whole point was to get people to play the new games.
 And I don't recall people complaining that "But my PS2 will die if they remove B/C" and all that, since by the time B/C was removed, PS2 trade-in value was like $20 so no one would bother.

 

Yeah, you don't buy a new console to only play old games, I never said that was why you buy a new console, however it's not unreasonable to expect old games to work on new consoles. Backwards compatibility gives a good reason for some people to stick a certain company. Considering most games are on multiple platforms, backwards compatibility could be a factor if they go the next console from a certain company or not. I think there will people who worried about their PS2 breaking, but also people like the PS3's ability to upscale PS2 games, wireless controllers and virtual memory cards.

 

 

 

 


 


Yes but that was also at a time when such technology was just breaking out. The limits of hardware during the PS2 age were highly restrictive and we saw a huge jump from the 6th gen to the 7th.

 

However, with the change from this gen to the 8th, the gap is not as great.


Still wireless, bluetooth controllers. Still HDD. Wireless internet. No new jumps in terms of hardware besides processing speed and graphical capabilities.

 

There's not much to improve on hardware wise now, only software based on stronger, faster hardware.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 16 of 112 (217 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

 

Yes but that was also at a time when such technology was just breaking out. The limits of hardware during the PS2 age were highly restrictive and we saw a huge jump from the 6th gen to the 7th.

 

However, with the change from this gen to the 8th, the gap is not as great.


Still wireless, bluetooth controllers. Still HDD. Wireless internet. No new jumps in terms of hardware besides processing speed and graphical capabilities.

 

There's not much to improve on hardware wise now, only software based on stronger, faster hardware.


 

True. but lets just say that the PS4 was backwards compatible, would PS3 games benefit from the PS4 hardware, like, would firmware upgrades be a lot quicker on the new system? I remember I spent 6 hours in 1 day waiting from Gran Turismo 5  to update. Aren’t firmware upgrades as slow as they due to PS3's memory? And maybe since the PS4 offers cross gaming chat. something you can't do on PS4 hardware, wouldn't you be able to use the cross gaming chat feature with PS3 games on the PS4? 

 

Message 17 of 112 (211 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 09/13/2007
Offline
4404 posts
 

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Apr 21, 2013

TalkingInCircles

 

No amount of complaining and "shoulds" will change the fact that the PS4 will not be B/C.

If you want to keep playing your PS3 games -- just keep your PS3! It's not the answer most people want to hear, but it's the best.

Nobody is forcing you to buy a PS4 and dump your PS3 behind.

 

I don't understand why this is such a difficult thing for these PS4-Needs-Backwards-Compatibility-Thread-Creating-People to do.

It's a nice convenient feature, but it is not a necessary one. I still own my PS1 and PS2. And when I bought my PS3, I still played games on my PS2. Even though my fatboy could do it, I didn't like how they ran/looked on it.

And I know for a fact my PS3 will still get used for another year or more, even after I buy a PS4.

 

If you feel that you will really be playing your PS3 games more often than PS4, here is what you should do:

Don't buy a PS4 right away. -- Simple, right? Play your PS3 until you are so sick, tired, and bored of it, that you are finally ready for a PS4, new games, and new features.

 

 

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."


Message 18 of 112 (205 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28982 posts
 

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Apr 21, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

TalkingInCircles

 

No amount of complaining and "shoulds" will change the fact that the PS4 will not be B/C.

If you want to keep playing your PS3 games -- just keep your PS3! It's not the answer most people want to hear, but it's the best.

Nobody is forcing you to buy a PS4 and dump your PS3 behind.

 

I don't understand why this is such a difficult thing for these PS4-Needs-Backwards-Compatibility-Thread-Creating-People to do.

It's a nice convenient feature, but it is not a necessary one. I still own my PS1 and PS2. And when I bought my PS3, I still played games on my PS2. Even though my fatboy could do it, I didn't like how they ran/looked on it.

And I know for a fact my PS3 will still get used for another year or more, even after I buy a PS4.

 

If you feel that you will really be playing your PS3 games more often than PS4, here is what you should do:

Don't buy a PS4 right away. -- Simple, right? Play your PS3 until you are so sick, tired, and bored of it, that you are finally ready for a PS4, new games, and new features.

 

 


Part of it is I think is "gamer entitlement". The other part of it is I think that so many have bought into the whole GameStop promise of a quick turnaround, that they believe there's no other way to fund the purchase of a console. Many others are under the impression that backwards compatibility actually is a money maker, when it's not.

Message 19 of 112 (201 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Apr 21, 2013

Well it's a feature that Sony started so it's something that will come up again and again until Sony can find some way to make the PS4 backwards compatible. It may not be a feature you used or care for but it's something others want. Indeed, no amount of complaining will make the PS4 backwards compatible, but since this is a forum, people want to discuss it and add their opinion. Nothing anyone here can do about it. I still don’t understand why people care if others want to have backwards compatibility. If people are bothered by these threads then the simple solution would be to ignore it.

 

Message 20 of 112 (198 Views)
Reply
0 Likes