PlayStation MVP
4238 posts

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Apr 21, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

Well it's a feature that Sony started so it's something that will come up again and again until Sony can find some way to make the PS4 backwards compatible. It may not be a feature you used or care for but it's something others want. Indeed, no amount of complaining will make the PS4 backwards compatible, but since this is a forum, people want to discuss it and add their opinion. Nothing anyone here can do about it. I still don’t understand why people care if others want to have backwards compatibility. If people are bothered by these threads then the simple solution would be to ignore it.

Sony did not start backwards compatibility on consoles.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 21 of 112 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013

No, they did not, but they re-introduced it and made it popular. That is what I meant. lol

Message 22 of 112 (253 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25749 posts

Apr 21, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Well it's a feature that Sony started so it's something that will come up again and again until Sony can find some way to make the PS4 backwards compatible. It may not be a feature you used or care for but it's something others want. Indeed, no amount of complaining will make the PS4 backwards compatible, but since this is a forum, people want to discuss it and add their opinion. Nothing anyone here can do about it. I still don’t understand why people care if others want to have backwards compatibility. If people are bothered by these threads then the simple solution would be to ignore it.

Sony did not start backwards compatibility on consoles.

I remember the old commercials for the Atari 7800...

Message 23 of 112 (251 Views)
PlayStation MVP
25749 posts

Apr 21, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

No, they did not, but they re-introduced it and made it popular. That is what I meant. lol

And just like gamers do, they got it backwards and believed it was the main selling point, and not a bonus.

Message 24 of 112 (249 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8949 posts

Apr 21, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

Bulletpainpills wrote:

I'm sure Sony would have added Backwards Compatibility if it as easy. If Sony was against BC after they dropped PS2 BC in the PS3 then why does the Vita have PSP BC? If Sony truly hated the idea of BC then it makes no sense that the Vita would have PSP BC.  The fact that Vita does have PSP BC means creating an emulator for the PSP wasn't that hard at all, unlike with the PS4 where creating an universal emulator for PS3 games would be incredibly difficult due to the complexity of the Cell Processor.

It's not Sony who seems to be against the concept of backwards compatibility, rather it seems like the Sony fanboys are against it. 

Realist =/= Sony Fanboy.

I would welcome it if they made the PS4 B/C.  It simply cannot happen.

Message 25 of 112 (244 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4238 posts

Apr 21, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

I believe Nintendo re-introduced it before Sony. If I'm not mistaken. But anyway.. Not important.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 26 of 112 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

And just like gamers do, they got it backwards and believed it was the main selling point, and not a bonus.

I never said it was the main selling point, but it can be a reason to stick with a certain company. I want a PS4 but it not being backwards compatible is a huge sore spot. It was Sony's fault for going with the Cell processor in the first place.

Message 27 of 112 (238 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8949 posts

Apr 21, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

Well I don't like discussing about other platforms here, but I just wanted to say that, yeah, it's true Microsoft did stop adding games to their list, but Microsoft never took away what they already gave. They simply stopped adding, where as Sony took away the entire thing after they added the feature, Secondly, the competition hasn't even announce their new system yet so it's too early to say "backwards compatibility for consoles is dying". 

In fact, there are rumors that the next Xbox will backwards compatible. It's still a rumor so I won't treat it as fact. The Wii U is backwards compatible so if the next Xbox is indeed backwards compatible, then the PS4 will be the only console with no backwards compatibility.

The point is that Sony only removed backwards compatibility to encourage PS3 sales, which in my opinion. was not a good way to go about it. They admitted that backwards compatibility was not that expensive. What is confirmed is that backwards compatibility is currently dead with Sony consoles, like the PS3 and PS4 although the Vita is backwards compatible so Sony backwards compatibility is not entirely dead.

Actually, the 360 has been backward compatible with a total of 0 xbox games since 2010 (which is why Gamestop no longer sells Xbox games, except the few that remain in the bargain bins).  B/C on the 360 was a feature of XBL, which was discontinued shortly after Sony released the PS3 slim.

If the NextBox is B/C, then it is due to the fact it is using compatible hardware, which realistically means 'not much of an upgrade from the current generation'.  All you have to do is look at Nintendo's last 3 generations.  They've all used basically the same hardware, and there's not been much of an increase in quality of their graphics.  The WiiU added HD (which is 7 years late) and a new spiffy controller that looks uncomfortable as hell to use for any length of time.

Message 28 of 112 (223 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Apr 22, 2013

Just keep your PS3 going and get a PS4 because I'm sure all of your PS3 friends are not going to jump on the PS4 train the first go around.

Message 29 of 112 (200 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
17479 posts

Apr 22, 2013

dead-horse.gif

Message 30 of 112 (199 Views)