Message 31 of 112 (812 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Well I don't like discussing about other platforms here, but I just wanted to say that, yeah, it's true Microsoft did stop adding games to their list, but Microsoft never took away what they already gave. They simply stopped adding, where as Sony took away the entire thing after they added the feature, Secondly, the competition hasn't even announce their new system yet so it's too early to say "backwards compatibility for consoles is dying". 

In fact, there are rumors that the next Xbox will backwards compatible. It's still a rumor so I won't treat it as fact. The Wii U is backwards compatible so if the next Xbox is indeed backwards compatible, then the PS4 will be the only console with no backwards compatibility.

The point is that Sony only removed backwards compatibility to encourage PS3 sales, which in my opinion. was not a good way to go about it. They admitted that backwards compatibility was not that expensive. What is confirmed is that backwards compatibility is currently dead with Sony consoles, like the PS3 and PS4 although the Vita is backwards compatible so Sony backwards compatibility is not entirely dead.

Actually, the 360 has been backward compatible with a total of 0 xbox games since 2010 (which is why Gamestop no longer sells Xbox games, except the few that remain in the bargain bins).  B/C on the 360 was a feature of XBL, which was discontinued shortly after Sony released the PS3 slim.

If the NextBox is B/C, then it is due to the fact it is using compatible hardware, which realistically means 'not much of an upgrade from the current generation'.  All you have to do is look at Nintendo's last 3 generations.  They've all used basically the same hardware, and there's not been much of an increase in quality of their graphics.  The WiiU added HD (which is 7 years late) and a new spiffy controller that looks uncomfortable as hell to use for any length of time.

I just put in an Xbox 1 game in my brother’s 360  slim and it works fine, where did you hear Microsoft took away backwards compatibility for the 360? I know they stopped updating the list but they never took away what they gave, unlike Sony.

Anyways, I understand that the PS4 is not capable of playing PS3 games but Sony should have gone with X86 hardware to begin with. The Cell processor was a huge mistake. It is what it is I guess...

Message 32 of 112 (802 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8285 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

I just put in an Xbox 1 game in my brother’s 360  slim and it works fine, where did you hear Microsoft took away backwards compatibility for the 360? I know they stopped updating the list but they never took away what they gave, unlike Sony.

360s have native backward compatibility with a small number of games (I think it is roughly 5-10%), much like early 60GB PS3s are compatible with 100% of PS2 games.  Sony never took that away (if you have a 60GB PS3, you can still play 100% of PS2 games).  With the XBL/online encoders/decoders/however they did it, the 360 was about 70% backward compatible.  There was no defined 'list'.  Basically, a game worked, or it didn't.  That support is what was termintated in 2010.

Anyways, I understand that the PS4 is not capable of playing PS3 games but Sony should have gone with X86 hardware to begin with. The Cell processor was a huge mistake. It is what it is I guess...

Actually, the Cell was not a mistake.  Without the Cell, there would really be nothing about PS3 exclusives that differentiate themselves from the other guys' games.  Dynamic camera angles, zoom levels, etc, certain lighting and shading effects, looking at your game list on the XMB and having several different gamess' icons show video instead of a static icon...  that is all the Cell processor.  It is not possible to do those things on an X86 chipset. At least, not easily.  Which is the main reason the PS4 will not be backward compatible.

Message 33 of 112 (794 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 22, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

360s have native backward compatibility with a small number of games (I think it is roughly 5-10%), much like early 60GB PS3s are compatible with 100% of PS2 games.  Sony never took that away (if you have a 60GB PS3, you can still play 100% of PS2 games).

Actually, the Cell was not a mistake.  Without the Cell, there would really be nothing about PS3 exclusives that differentiate themselves from the other guys' games.  Dynamic camera angles, zoom levels, etc, certain lighting and shading effects, looking at your game list on the XMB and having several different gamess' icons show video instead of a static icon...  that is all the Cell processor.  It is not possible to do those things on an X86 chipset. At least, not easily.  Which is the main reason the PS4 will not be backward compatible.

If the Cell can do all of that, then wouldn't they be downgrading then?

Message 34 of 112 (787 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8285 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 22, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

In a lot of ways, yes.  But the PS4 is being designed from the ground up by the people who will be developing the games for it.  The Cell was extremely difficult to write code for, so they made the tough decision to abandon it pretty early on in development.

The team at Quantic Dream (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls) has basically written the textbook on compensating for the loss of most of the Cell's functionality in the x86 architecture (this is mainly on the new Radeon GPU).

Message 35 of 112 (785 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 22, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

In a lot of ways, yes.  But the PS4 is being designed from the ground up by the people who will be developing the games for it.  The Cell was extremely difficult to write code for, so they made the tough decision to abandon it pretty early on in development.

The team at Quantic Dream (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls) has basically written the textbook on compensating for the loss of most of the Cell's functionality in the x86 architecture (this is mainly on the new Radeon GPU).

I see, that is pretty interesting!

Message 36 of 112 (764 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Apr 23, 2013

YES IT'S CALLED MAKEING MONEY FOOL !!

Message 37 of 112 (735 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Apr 23, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

No, they did not, but they re-introduced it and made it popular. That is what I meant. lol

And just like gamers do, they got it backwards and believed it was the main selling point, and not a bonus.

It was a main selling point for the PS2. 

The PS2 launch line up was not impressive (to say the least). Backwards compatibility was heavily marketed at the time while the competition didn't offer backwards compatibility. It classified PS2 as an upgrade to your hardware with a library of hundreds of games at launch, which made the purchase logical for most. 

Backwards compatibility is not something Sony is giving you out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a strategic move for the purpose of marketing. The PS3 launched with backwards compatibility as well because, it too, had a very limited appeal in it's launch library.

The PS4 simply doesn't need backwards compatibility to drive console sales, because they have multiple AAA titles to be available at launch.

It's a win/win for Sony in the long run, of course. They get to move forward from the mistake that was PS3's architecture w/o sacrificing a strong launch install base thanks to the AAA titles planned. At the same time, they don't have to worry about Emotion Engine emulation supported by hardware, which will help keep the cost of hardware down and make it more attractive to possible launch day impulse buyers. And better still, they can follow in the footsteps of their big N rival and charge for the same software multiple times.

A "bonus" is a matter of opinion from a consumer perspective. Businesses call that "Buyer Incentives" and is used to attract more buyers. BUT, those "incentives" are only given when there's concern related to sales. PS4 presents no concerns in that area at the moment.

Message 38 of 112 (729 Views)
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Apr 23, 2013

I Kind of feel the same way but the reason why ps3 got in so much trobule is because the build it on old technology and tried to patcg on top of it. with the ps4 they are starting fresh AND NEW 

Message 39 of 112 (726 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
841 posts

Apr 23, 2013

don't remember everyone making this big a deal out of the PS3 not being able to play PS2 games. Why is it such a biggie that then PS4 can't play PS3?

Just keep your PS3, its not like it becomes an obsolete piece of garbage the moment you rip open the box of the PS4. You are getting the PS4 to play NEW games. If you want to play old games, when why is hooking up the PS3 that big of a deal?

Message 40 of 112 (724 Views)
0 Likes