Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Re: ps4 backwards compatibility

Apr 23, 2013

Ming_Dragon wrote:

don't remember everyone making this big a deal out of the PS3 not being able to play PS2 games. Why is it such a biggie that then PS4 can't play PS3?

Just keep your PS3, its not like it becomes an obsolete piece of garbage the moment you rip open the box of the PS4. You are getting the PS4 to play NEW games. If you want to play old games, when why is hooking up the PS3 that big of a deal?

You're kidding right? PS3 launched with backwards compatibility, which is why it wasn't a big deal then. When they took B/C away, it rapidly became the most requested feature fore the PS3 (and still is).

Message 41 of 112 (167 Views)
Wastelander
842 posts

Apr 23, 2013

CyberOcelot wrote:

Ming_Dragon wrote:

don't remember everyone making this big a deal out of the PS3 not being able to play PS2 games. Why is it such a biggie that then PS4 can't play PS3?

Just keep your PS3, its not like it becomes an obsolete piece of garbage the moment you rip open the box of the PS4. You are getting the PS4 to play NEW games. If you want to play old games, when why is hooking up the PS3 that big of a deal?

You're kidding right? PS3 launched with backwards compatibility, which is why it wasn't a big deal then. When they took B/C away, it rapidly became the most requested feature fore the PS3 (and still is).

Oh, I see. I did not get the ps3 right at lunch, I wanted somewhere around 3 weeks to get it, by then, the feature for it was gone. I never really minded myself because I still had my PS2 and could hook it up whenever I wanted to play it.

My mentality is that you buy a new console to play new games, and if you want to play old ones you go back to the old console. But its just an opinion, not everyone thinks that way :s

Message 42 of 112 (165 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Apr 23, 2013

CyberOcelot wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

No, they did not, but they re-introduced it and made it popular. That is what I meant. lol

And just like gamers do, they got it backwards and believed it was the main selling point, and not a bonus.

It was a main selling point for the PS2. 

The PS2 launch line up was not impressive (to say the least). Backwards compatibility was heavily marketed at the time while the competition didn't offer backwards compatibility. It classified PS2 as an upgrade to your hardware with a library of hundreds of games at launch, which made the purchase logical for most. 

Backwards compatibility is not something Sony is giving you out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a strategic move for the purpose of marketing. The PS3 launched with backwards compatibility as well because, it too, had a very limited appeal in it's launch library.

The PS4 simply doesn't need backwards compatibility to drive console sales, because they have multiple AAA titles to be available at launch.

It's a win/win for Sony in the long run, of course. They get to move forward from the mistake that was PS3's architecture w/o sacrificing a strong launch install base thanks to the AAA titles planned. At the same time, they don't have to worry about Emotion Engine emulation supported by hardware, which will help keep the cost of hardware down and make it more attractive to possible launch day impulse buyers. And better still, they can follow in the footsteps of their big N rival and charge for the same software multiple times.

A "bonus" is a matter of opinion from a consumer perspective. Businesses call that "Buyer Incentives" and is used to attract more buyers. BUT, those "incentives" are only given when there's concern related to sales. PS4 presents no concerns in that area at the moment.

To be honest, one of the biggest selling points of the PS2 when it came out was that it was a DVD Player and could play DVD movies.  At the time, the DVD was a new "item" for the general public, and was a HUGE step up from the VHS days for watching movies.  With the PS2 being able to play movies, in addition to playing videogames, it became a VERY attractive item for people. 

It's ability to play PS1 games was, as you've stated, partly due to the small lineup of games available for the system at the time.  Also, the PS1 is a VERY simple system hardware wise.  Hell, when the PS1 was a relatively new console there were already 100% compatible emulation programs out there allowing people to play PS1 discs on their PCs.  (Do a search for BLEEM! and how Sony hated it for more details). 

With the PS3, Blu-Ray was the new "thing" out there.  Sony wanted people to go and pick up a PS3 to play games and watch Blu-Ray movies.  Something a lot of people did.  Again, the games lineup at the start wasn't that spectacular, so to coerce people into buying the console for Blu-Ray viewing, Sony included PS2 backwards compatibility to further coerce the consumer into getting their product. 

For the PS4, there isn't some new disc technology out there, so Sony's directors obviously feel that there's no need to go and jack up the production cost, and final end cost, of the PS4 in order to get people into it.  They are simply relying on the games and the hopefully abundant set of titles for it at launch. 

I would LOVE IT if the PS4 could natively play all of my PS3 titles, but once they announced that the new console would not be using a Cell processor I knew that B/C would not be possible.  I have moved on.  Sadly, many others who won't take the time to actually understand WHY it's not B/C haven't.

Message 43 of 112 (164 Views)
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Jdurg wrote:

CyberOcelot wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

No, they did not, but they re-introduced it and made it popular. That is what I meant. lol

And just like gamers do, they got it backwards and believed it was the main selling point, and not a bonus.

It was a main selling point for the PS2. 

The PS2 launch line up was not impressive (to say the least). Backwards compatibility was heavily marketed at the time while the competition didn't offer backwards compatibility. It classified PS2 as an upgrade to your hardware with a library of hundreds of games at launch, which made the purchase logical for most. 

Backwards compatibility is not something Sony is giving you out of the goodness of their hearts. It's a strategic move for the purpose of marketing. The PS3 launched with backwards compatibility as well because, it too, had a very limited appeal in it's launch library.

The PS4 simply doesn't need backwards compatibility to drive console sales, because they have multiple AAA titles to be available at launch.

It's a win/win for Sony in the long run, of course. They get to move forward from the mistake that was PS3's architecture w/o sacrificing a strong launch install base thanks to the AAA titles planned. At the same time, they don't have to worry about Emotion Engine emulation supported by hardware, which will help keep the cost of hardware down and make it more attractive to possible launch day impulse buyers. And better still, they can follow in the footsteps of their big N rival and charge for the same software multiple times.

A "bonus" is a matter of opinion from a consumer perspective. Businesses call that "Buyer Incentives" and is used to attract more buyers. BUT, those "incentives" are only given when there's concern related to sales. PS4 presents no concerns in that area at the moment.

To be honest, one of the biggest selling points of the PS2 when it came out was that it was a DVD Player and could play DVD movies.  At the time, the DVD was a new "item" for the general public, and was a HUGE step up from the VHS days for watching movies.  With the PS2 being able to play movies, in addition to playing videogames, it became a VERY attractive item for people. 

It's ability to play PS1 games was, as you've stated, partly due to the small lineup of games available for the system at the time.  Also, the PS1 is a VERY simple system hardware wise.  Hell, when the PS1 was a relatively new console there were already 100% compatible emulation programs out there allowing people to play PS1 discs on their PCs.  (Do a search for BLEEM! and how Sony hated it for more details). 

With the PS3, Blu-Ray was the new "thing" out there.  Sony wanted people to go and pick up a PS3 to play games and watch Blu-Ray movies.  Something a lot of people did.  Again, the games lineup at the start wasn't that spectacular, so to coerce people into buying the console for Blu-Ray viewing, Sony included PS2 backwards compatibility to further coerce the consumer into getting their product. 

For the PS4, there isn't some new disc technology out there, so Sony's directors obviously feel that there's no need to go and jack up the production cost, and final end cost, of the PS4 in order to get people into it.  They are simply relying on the games and the hopefully abundant set of titles for it at launch. 

I would LOVE IT if the PS4 could natively play all of my PS3 titles, but once they announced that the new console would not be using a Cell processor I knew that B/C would not be possible.  I have moved on.  Sadly, many others who won't take the time to actually understand WHY it's not B/C haven't.

Agree with all of that. I don't personally care for B/C myself. I have the shelf space for both consoles, and kinda like preserving the feel myself. 

To be honest, my response was mostly out of agitation because I saw someone dismissed because of another users "love" for a console. No matter how cool the console or company, it's business as usual. Fanboyism is silly. I know. I used to be one. Smiley Wink

Message 44 of 112 (158 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 23, 2013

Ming_Dragon wrote:

Well it's a big deal to some us of because many of us want fewer devices. It has nothing to do with shelf space; I want fewer devices that can do more rather than more devices that do less. Clogging up my entertainment center with all of these consoles, controllers and wires makes my living room look messy. Not to mention I don't want to go out and buy another PS3 after my PS3 breaks which will happen eventually. Basically, to sum it up: I would rather have 1 device to play all of my PlayStation console games. lol 

I know the PS4 will have an entirely different architecture so it's impossible but that does not make it any less annoying that the PS4 is not backwards compatible. I can keep my PS3 hooked up along side my PS4 but when my PS3 breaks I won't buy another one. This is my opinion about it so if others disagree, we can agree to disagree! Smiley Happy

Message 45 of 112 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
842 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

Ming_Dragon wrote:

Well it's a big deal to some us of because many of us want fewer devices. It has nothing to do with shelf space; I want fewer devices that can do more rather than more devices that do less. Clogging up my entertainment center with all of these consoles, controllers and wires makes my living room look messy. Not to mention I don't want to go out and buy another PS3 after my PS3 breaks which will happen eventually. Basically, to sum it up: I would rather have 1 device to play all of my PlayStation console games. lol 

I know the PS4 will have an entirely different architecture so it's impossible but that does not make it any less annoying that the PS4 is not backwards compatible. I can keep my PS3 hooked up along side my PS4 but when my PS3 breaks I won't buy another one. This is my opinion about it so if others disagree, we can agree to disagree! Smiley Happy

Well yeah, that makes sense so I can understand that. You want a console that does it all. Im pretty neutral with the fact that I have to connect the ps3 to play my old games. but as you said: "This is my opinion about it so if others disagree, we can agree to disagree!" Smiley Very Happy

Message 46 of 112 (142 Views)
Gaming Beast
2026 posts

Apr 23, 2013

I remember buying ps2 at launch. I thought it had a good launch with several good games more advanced than ps1. I still have the games in my library and play them every now and then.Same with ps3. Still have the games. A good launch. Fun games and yes that is why I stuck with playstation because of the BC. The thing is that people want this. Sony depends on there customers buying there product to servive. I think a lot of this now has to do with the fact that it is being requested from there customer and sony is ignoring that fact. As of now, it is to late in the game to incorporate BC in ps4 probably. But from scratch it could have been done. Electronics is advanced enough to where you would have to be very narrow minded or one sided to not think so. But the fact is that this is like a lot of other things of late, it is being requested by a whole lot of custormers that are dissatisfied because it is not there. I think customers are gitting tired of this type of company attitude with a hobby that can be easly be walked away from. The decline in gaming in the last several years I beleave have shown this. The question is, is this a wise decision for sony to do in a time where gaming is dropping in numbers as repidly as it is and more people could leave because of this choice of there's. I for one have been in gaming from the beggining and after all these years like  others I have talked to, may finish up what I have and get out myself. I am the customer. I want certain things. If they are not there and I know it could be, it aggravates me and  I do not buy. If this makes gaming decline more, than sorry but they should have listened to my requests to make me want to buy.

Message 47 of 112 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Apr 23, 2013
I'm pretty sure the 360 is still backwards compatible, I can still play old Xbox games on mine. It is not a feature that has been discontinued.
Message 48 of 112 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12313 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Ming_Dragon wrote:

CyberOcelot wrote:

Ming_Dragon wrote:

Oh, I see. I did not get the ps3 right at lunch, I wanted somewhere around 3 weeks to get it, by then, the feature for it was gone. I never really minded myself because I still had my PS2 and could hook it up whenever I wanted to play it.

My mentality is that you buy a new console to play new games, and if you want to play old ones you go back to the old console. But its just an opinion, not everyone thinks that way :s

Your are funny, and inaccurate, LOL.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 49 of 112 (123 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
12313 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Jdurg wrote:

Its a risk vs reward situation.

If they spend money getting PS3 games working on PS4 they risk not recouping that money.

But it seems to me, if you took the top 50 selling PS3 games and made them playable on PS4, they would continue to sell.

Same for PS2 games.

Then the money you make off the first 50 you use to make the next 10 or 20, and see how they sell.

Gotta spend money to make money, and some of these are guaranteed sellers IMO.

I get that Sony is in financial ruin and are not keen to take many risks these days, but the Sony of old was all about that, I think many of us expect that old Sony is still lurking behind the curtains ready to make take the next big leap for the good of all like they have soooo many times in the past.

But your post makes me consider all the advanatges other Sony system have had at launch, and the lack of any of this for PS4 launch.  Unless you consider the share facebook button next level tech, I'm not a teen so have little use for it.

So they are not selling consoles as less expensive Bluray players, or DVD players, and apparnetly the PS4 will not even play CD"s!!!

All it does to set it apart from anything else is play PS3 exclusive games, and it makes me worry immensely about its future.

You think I want to not have the next Playstation in my house?  I do, as long as it remains the top teir gaming system brand I have known since PS1.  Only except the best has always been my gaming motto amd has always meant Playstation to date.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 50 of 112 (122 Views)