Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 22 2012
By: Arron_Rift Uncharted Territory 1240 posts
Accepted Solution

"Superweapon" game mode (My suggestion for a DLC)

[ Edited ]
68 replies 398 views Edited Feb 24, 2014

Hi everyone!

I just had an awsome idea for a game mode that would hopefully fix many of the complaints people are having.

Note: this is heavily inspired by Celsus's "airship" thread here

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4699971?start=0&tstart=0

Now I realized that I went kind of long, so feel free to post comments without reading the full thing. I hope to add pictures of my ideas soon, but I don't have time right now so I'll just describe it.

Each team would start off with a huge, indestructable base. The inside would be hollow but filled with several layers of catwalks and machery, with weapon rooms and enclosed garages for safely deploying vehicles. These garages would exit the base through indestructable gates similar to the B&B ones. Only infantry could enter the base, and so this would provide people with the "close corridors" combat they have been wanting while still leaving most of the map open for vehicles and as a "blank canvas" for B&B like LBI wants. This would also eliminate "base raping" as it would provide the home team with plenty of cover, spawning protection, and permanent vehicle depos.

The main purpose of the base, however, is to build a giant airship capable of destroying the enemy's base. The base would have a giant hanger, and next to it would be lots of machery and a huge rift energy container. Pressing triangle when accessing this machery would transfer one unit of your rift energy into the machine's energy reserve. Once this energy reserve reached a certain amount (it could be set in the sever options at 50, 100, 250, 500, 750, or 1000), the factory would open the hanger and launch the airship. However, the enemy team could delay the launch by infiltrating the base on foot and damaging the rift energy container, causing it to leak and lower the base's energy reserve. More damage would cause it to leak faster, however the base's team could reverse this damage with the wielding torch. They could also defend their base's interior on foot or by using spending rift energy at various terminals to deploy/replace auto turrets mounted on walls and catwalks.

Once one team deploys an airship, this should be the point in the game where one team is laughing maniacally while the other team is wetting themselves as they organize a desparate counter attack. As the airship ominously drifts towards the enemy until it gets its super laser in range of their base, the enemy should either make a final push to get their ship in the air or start trying to take down the enemy ship. Gameplay wise, the only way to destroy one of these ships should be to either destroy it with your own ship, or to land on it and destroy its power core, BF2142 style. However, the ship itself would be a flying fortress, studded on the outside with all manners of flak cannons and energy turret as well as launch pads for hawks. It would probably be best that all external turrets would require a driver and couldn't fire themselves, so that the ship would be defenseless with players on board. External turrets should probably be mounted on the sides and bottom of the ship, be accessable from within the ship, and should require repair if they withstand enough damage. Players would be able to land their drop-pods onto the top of the ship as it crosses the map, or perhaps could be some way of getting to the ship from the base, like a giant drop-pod cannon or something. The interior of the ship should be much like the bases, with lots of cover and hallways, and enough automated defenses that it would take a team of at least 3 skilled players to make it to the power core on the first attempt. However, it should still take a lot of effort to defend the core and keep the defenses maintained during the siege of respawning enemies.

It should probably take about 5 minutes for the ship to reach the enemy base once produced, and about 30-60 seconds of constant firing for its laser to destroy the enemy base and win the match. However, enough damage to the laser by hawks, tanks, and energy turrets should probably cause is to cease firing momentarily. I'm thinking that constant fire from 2 energy turrets should be enough to pause it indefinitely.

What I'm not sure about is how the rift energy should be acquired to build these ships. Perhaps you would just get rift energy from being near the base, as you do in other game modes. This would create a delima over whether you should stay to defend the base while putting rift energy towards building the ship and fortifying, or if you should go on the attack and try to deminish the other team's reserves. An alternate idea is for the energy reserves to instead be filled based on your teams dominance over a rift extractor place in some central area of the map, adding a king-of-the-hill component to the mix.

Also not sure if people should be able to drive the ship. As cool as it would be to drive one of these bad boys, it is probably best that it just be programmed to automatically go attack the enemy base, as this is its only target and having people drive it would probably just mess up the pacing.

What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions? And if anyone from LBI is reading this, please post a comment cause I'd love to hear what you think too

Edit: Added label. Please click here to learn more about labels. -Super_Nova2k13

--------------( Semi-official Starhawk Suggestion Central (Updated 09-05-12)-----------------

----------------------------------------------------Built to Destroy----------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 69 (398 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1062 posts

Re: "Superweapon" game mode (My suggestion for a DLC)

Jun 22, 2012

this is the most craziest, maddest, unbelievable piece of suggestion i have ever seen....

and i love it, it is the most amazing well thought out game mode suggestion i have ever read could use a few changes hear and there but its still bau5.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 69 (398 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1240 posts

Jun 22, 2012

Aw thank you (not quite sure what bau5 means, but I assume it's a compliment)

Also, if you guys like this idea, try repeating it elsewhere and maybe LBI will hear about it eventually,

I imagine that they could use all of the suggestions they can get as they try to follow-up a game like Warhawk

--------------( Semi-official Starhawk Suggestion Central (Updated 09-05-12)-----------------

----------------------------------------------------Built to Destroy----------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 69 (398 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1062 posts

Jun 22, 2012

Bau5 is just another way to say boss

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 69 (398 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Jun 22, 2012

This idea is simply brilliant.

Anyways, for the rift distribution, have the base rift obsorbtion be 2x less than the middle area while also having random rift barrel hot spots appear two at a time throughout the map.

"Once one team deploys an airship, this should be the point in the game where one team is laughing maniacally while the other team is wetting themselves as they organize a desparate counter attack"

That is also awesome and terrifying at the same time.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 69 (398 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

Jun 22, 2012

very creative! reminds me of CivRev and the travel to Alpha Centauri...

I like the idea of destroying the enemy base. that could be a new game mode.

on the subject of superweapon: there is/was a rumour of a rift bomb capable of doing serious damage. the catch is the opponent team can disable it within a certain time (like CS, I guess). maybe that'd be easier to implement than your gigantic airship: not as spectacular, but the same idea.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 69 (398 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1062 posts

Jun 22, 2012

bump....because this is an awesome idea, though maybe hard to make,but still nevertheless awesome

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 69 (398 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48434 posts

Jun 22, 2012

Wow arron well thought out.

I wouldn't mind trying this mode out

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 69 (398 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1170 posts

Jun 22, 2012

That is awsome man i would love to play that map.  I was hoping for a DLC map like this, that would be cool air ship against air ship until one was destroyed.

GIfreakyevil
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 69 (398 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
747 posts

Jun 22, 2012

What in the world did I just read.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 69 (398 Views)
0 Likes