Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 18 2013
By: Heisenberg513 First Son 1 posts

rip off

55 replies 346 views Edited May 18, 2013
I was just on playstation store and seen so many overpriced games, Uncharted:drakes fortune was $29.99 for the downloadable version,I just bought a NEW copy from gamestop for $13.99, so if you buy downloadable games you're asking to be ripped off, it can't be sold or traded in.Sony treats in customers like crap!
Message 1 of 56 (346 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25480 posts

Re: rip off

[ Edited ]
May 18, 2013

It's called "competition". Retail stores compete to give you the best price to get you in the door to spend money. If you download, who are they competing against?

The whole gamer logic myth of digital distribution passing on the savings to the consumer is an outright FALLACY. They aren't going to be swell guys, no matter what the gamer cognoscenti kept convincing themselves of.

Message 2 of 56 (339 Views)
MVP Support
2432 posts

May 18, 2013

Are you absolutely sure it was a new copy? Looking at GameStop's website Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is also 29.99 (http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/uncharted-drakes-fortune/90761) with used copies being 9.99. You are correct as to the PlayStation Store copy being 29.99 as well. I'm sure prices vary from each GameStop store as well, but from what I can see they are the same exact price at both stores.

Message 3 of 56 (332 Views)
Welcoming Committee
6946 posts

May 18, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

It's called "competition". Retail stores compete to give you the best price to get you in the door to spend money. If you download, who are they competing against?

The whole gamer logic myth of digital distribution passing on the savings to the consumer is an outright FALLACY. They aren't going to be swell guys, no matter what the gamer cognoscenti kept convincing themselves of.

I think the OP`s main thing was the retail store price was lower then the PSN store price, I agree digital doesn`t mean more savings, but it does mean same price. Although as the other poster already said the game the OP bought is the same price at gamestop as it is in the PSN store. Also I agree there is no competition with digital sales, but I guess you can say they compete against the physical sales.

Message 4 of 56 (325 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

May 18, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Well if they want to push digital sales they should be more competitive and lower the prices for these games...

Message 5 of 56 (317 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11243 posts

May 18, 2013

Retail shopping is preferable when it comes to the advantage of items like resale value and the opportunity to purchase the physical item cheaper than its digital counterpart. That's not to say that there aren't digital steals out there. In the last few weeks, for example, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time was available for $20 through PlayStation Plus while at retail copies still retained their $40 value. If you can manage to comparison shop and find the right prices for the items you want, wherever they may be sold, then that's all for the better.

Message 6 of 56 (310 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

May 18, 2013

I also took advantage of those deals. There should be more deals like this more often.

Message 7 of 56 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
6946 posts

May 18, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

I also took advantage of those deals. There should be more deals like this more often.

I agree, and also took part in that sale, I got Sly 2, 3, and 4 from that sale.

Message 8 of 56 (305 Views)
Fender Bender
2785 posts

May 18, 2013

I already have the Sly collection disc but  I would have loved to get them digitally but I only had enough money to buy Sly 4. lol

Message 9 of 56 (302 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4230 posts

May 18, 2013

scarecrowman175 wrote:

Are you absolutely sure it was a new copy? Looking at GameStop's website Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is also 29.99 (http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/uncharted-drakes-fortune/90761) with used copies being 9.99. You are correct as to the PlayStation Store copy being 29.99 as well. I'm sure prices vary from each GameStop store as well, but from what I can see they are the same exact price at both stores.

I've caught GameStop trying to sell me used copies passed off as a new copy, TWICE. Such dirty scam artists.

They said it was the "display" copy used on the floor, so it isn't considered "used." :smileysurprised: (What?!)

Most recently with Borderlands GOTY edition.

When I opened it up, it didn't even have the manual or map. I demanded a new sealed copy and they said they were out.

So, I took my money elsewhere.

I can't say ALL GameStops are the same, but the 4 stores around in my area are. So, I can only assume they are all the same, since their business practice seems to be identical, and all the employees appear to have the same training.

If they were not so conveniently placed around here, I wouldn't bother buying games at GameStop. It is absolutely a chore when I do.

"Want to pre-order anything else?" NO. "Are you sure, GTAV is coming out in September?" No thank you. "Do you want to sign up for power rewards program?" Not today. Uhhhggg... Every. Time.

/rant

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 10 of 56 (285 Views)