Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: rip off

May 18, 2013

^That's why I don't like to buy from Gamestop. lol

Message 11 of 56 (274 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 11/29/2007
Offline
10014 posts
 

Re: rip off

May 18, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

scarecrowman175 wrote:

Are you absolutely sure it was a new copy? Looking at GameStop's website Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is also 29.99 (http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/uncharted-drakes-fortune/90761) with used copies being 9.99. You are correct as to the PlayStation Store copy being 29.99 as well. I'm sure prices vary from each GameStop store as well, but from what I can see they are the same exact price at both stores.


I've caught GameStop trying to sell me used copies passed off as a new copy, TWICE. Such dirty scam artists.

They said it was the "display" copy used on the floor, so it isn't considered "used." Smiley Surprised (What?!)

 

 

Most recently with Borderlands GOTY edition.

When I opened it up, it didn't even have the manual or map. I demanded a new sealed copy and they said they were out.

So, I took my money elsewhere.

 

I can't say ALL GameStops are the same, but the 4 stores around in my area are. So, I can only assume they are all the same, since their business practice seems to be identical, and all the employees appear to have the same training.

 

If they were not so conveniently placed around here, I wouldn't bother buying games at GameStop. It is absolutely a chore when I do.

"Want to pre-order anything else?" NO. "Are you sure, GTAV is coming out in September?" No thank you. "Do you want to sign up for power rewards program?" Not today. Uhhhggg... Every. Time.

 

/rant


You could avoid by ordering online, but for the display games, they do that, both gamestop and ebgame (which is owned by gamestop) when they get their games in, they take the stuff outside of the case and put them in some sort or protective bag. By definition once a game is opened it's considered Used, even if no one used it. By retail standards it's still considered new because it was never sold or used. I know sometimes when I bought stuff from Eb games, they had no more copies, so they gave me the display game, and I really dislike that, which is why I actually try to avoid shopping in any Eb games store. If I order from Gamestop, which I do rarly, I order from online so I am guarenteed to get a new unopened copy.

Message 12 of 56 (269 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/18/2007
Offline
3209 posts
 

Re: rip off

May 18, 2013
Sony still treats YOU like crap and YOU still buy SONY PRODUCTS.......... YEAH THAT MAKES SENSE. .... Not
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 13 of 56 (263 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28994 posts
 

Re: rip off

May 18, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

It's called "competition". Retail stores compete to give you the best price to get you in the door to spend money. If you download, who are they competing against?

 

 The whole gamer logic myth of digital distribution passing on the savings to the consumer is an outright FALLACY. They aren't going to be swell guys, no matter what the gamer cognoscenti kept convincing themselves of.


Well if they want to push digital sales they should be more competitive and lower the prices for these games...


It might happen, and monkeys might fly out of my butt!

Message 14 of 56 (255 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: rip off

May 18, 2013

 

my opinion still stands.

Message 15 of 56 (251 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 12/10/2012
Offline
350 posts
 

Re: rip off

May 18, 2013
well for me , I like Gamestop , and yes I like to buy used games to try out the games first , and when I find a good game I know I want to keep , I return the used copy and buy new one , and I agree , most of the time I can get my games cheaper than buying them as digital copies.

somtimes when I'm looking for a used copy and they don't have it used, they sell me new one for a price of used one , and that happen alot at my local GS.

not only that , but GS saved me alot of money with that power rewards program , TBH I'm not a big games shopper lol , but every time I go to GS I get like 1000-2000 points and I can use them to get free membership at jamplay (guitar learning website ) and that's alone saved me from paying alot of money to learn the guitar Smiley Tongue .
Message 16 of 56 (239 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 09/13/2007
Offline
4404 posts
 

Re: rip off

May 18, 2013

zack2091 wrote:
I like Gamestop.

disgusted

 

 

(Just kidding, Zack. To each his own.)

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."


Message 17 of 56 (233 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 12/10/2012
Offline
350 posts
 

Re: rip off

May 18, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

zack2091 wrote:
I like Gamestop.

disgusted

 

 

(Just kidding, Zack. To each his own.)


LOL <3

Message 18 of 56 (223 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/18/2007
Offline
3209 posts
 

Re: rip off

May 18, 2013
I do think digital sales are priced to high compared to physical items because your not paying for the manufacturing of the disk, case, printed manuals . They should have digital games lower then physical and that's not just games but music and movies also. That's my issue but I still prefer to buy physical anyway so I know I OWN the item and not be limited to rules followed by digital items.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 19 of 56 (211 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28994 posts
 

Re: rip off

May 18, 2013

deaofly wrote:
I do think digital sales are priced to high compared to physical items because your not paying for the manufacturing of the disk, case, printed manuals . They should have digital games lower then physical and that's not just games but music and movies also. That's my issue but I still prefer to buy physical anyway so I know I OWN the item and not be limited to rules followed by digital items.

Here's the difference between the two; you have more competition in the digital marketplace for music and movies. Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, iTunes, for music Rhapsody, Google, again iTunes, etc. Where's the competition for digital games on the PS3? ...

 

 

 

 

 

I thought so. It's not as if Sony is going to suddenly allow Steam and Origin to set up shop on the PS3, and if you say "they should", then you probably believe that the Cubs are going to win the next five World Series in a row.

 

 

Furthermore, you're still paying for the same exact game. The game wasn't somehow cheaper to make during the development process.

 

This entire argument that the savings should be passed on to the consumer that has been perpetuated by the gamer cognoscenit, is in no uncertain terms, farcical. Why? Because it's predicated on the industry being "swell guys", and waking up one day and suddenly deciding to cut you a break. They never were going to. Especially considering that digital games are used as a means to an end by putting the used game market out of business. Then there's even LESS incentive to lower the price. I always say that the gamer community screams about how they don't want Sony or Microsoft to destroy the used game market, but they have no problem doing it themselves.

 

Now there's a camp within the gamer community that will say "but... Steam????". If you look at the price of NEW games, not five to ten year old ones, you'll see there's very little difference between retail and digital.

Message 20 of 56 (201 Views)
Reply
0 Likes