Treasure Hunter
4424 posts

Re: rip off

May 18, 2013

Have you been into Walmart. They have The Matrix trilogy and the Anime film being sold for 9.99. Yet if you buy the first movie on the store it is like 9.99, I think for SD. Now this eludeds me? What is the better deal? If Sony was really about competition, than they would be  reducing the costs of these movies to match with Walmart 9.99 complete set of The Matrix.

It is like the itunes thing. Why would a person who has a bunch of CD's purchase songs from itunes that they all ready have?

Funny Sony just has a price drop on the Tomb Raider game for half off but now it is back to full retail price. So lets not just think Sony is stiffing you. 

Ever been to Safeway? They have a decent meat department but if you go across the street to Albertsons they have a lousy selection. Sometimes some items will be sold at a reduce rate and some are kept as is. Not all groceries stores have the same things on sale. It is set up that way so you are force to shop at several different stores to save money!

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

celebrity fashion gallery

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 21 of 56 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
32374 posts

[ Edited ]
May 18, 2013

FreshRevenge wrote:

Have you been into Walmart. They have The Matrix trilogy and the Anime film being sold for 9.99. Yet if you buy the first movie on the store it is like 9.99, I think for SD. Now this eludeds me? What is the better deal? If Sony was really about competition, than they would be  reducing the costs of these movies to match with Walmart 9.99 complete set of The Matrix.

It is like the itunes thing. Why would a person who has a bunch of CD's purchase songs from itunes that they all ready have?

Funny Sony just has a price drop on the Tomb Raider game for half off but now it is back to full retail price. So lets not just think Sony is stiffing you. 

Ever been to Safeway? They have a decent meat department but if you go across the street to Albertsons they have a lousy selection. Sometimes some items will be sold at a reduce rate and some are kept as is. Not all groceries stores have the same things on sale. It is set up that way so you are force to shop at several different stores to save money!

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

That highlighted part rings true with me Fresh, i pretty much do all our grocery shopping, I have two main choices here in my area in Sth Fl, Publix & Winn Dixie, Publix has the much better bakery, their bread is far bettter as are their cakes, but their meat, at least to us sub-par, burgers, steaks etc, just ok, but when I go to Winn Dixie, the bakery department is useless but the meats are so much better, I just wish i could get the both in the one place, oh well!

BRIT-KO

Message 22 of 56 (70 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12620 posts

May 18, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

scarecrowman175 wrote:

Are you absolutely sure it was a new copy? Looking at GameStop's website Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is also 29.99 (http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/uncharted-drakes-fortune/90761) with used copies being 9.99. You are correct as to the PlayStation Store copy being 29.99 as well. I'm sure prices vary from each GameStop store as well, but from what I can see they are the same exact price at both stores.

I've caught GameStop trying to sell me used copies passed off as a new copy, TWICE. Such dirty scam artists.

They said it was the "display" copy used on the floor, so it isn't considered "used." :smileysurprised: (What?!)

Most recently with Borderlands GOTY edition.

When I opened it up, it didn't even have the manual or map. I demanded a new sealed copy and they said they were out.

So, I took my money elsewhere.

I can't say ALL GameStops are the same, but the 4 stores around in my area are. So, I can only assume they are all the same, since their business practice seems to be identical, and all the employees appear to have the same training.

If they were not so conveniently placed around here, I wouldn't bother buying games at GameStop. It is absolutely a chore when I do.

"Want to pre-order anything else?" NO. "Are you sure, GTAV is coming out in September?" No thank you. "Do you want to sign up for power rewards program?" Not today. Uhhhggg... Every. Time.

/rant

Wow, your Gamestops suck.

The one near me gave me a 50% bonus to trade in credit by telling me to go on my smartphone, order an "in-store" pickup to get a coupon for a 50% bonus, and then "return" the game so that I end up spending no extra and just get more credit because I missed the previous bonus that ended the day before.

And then gave me some free accessories.

And then on the day of COD BO2's midnight release, gave me the hardened edition instead of standard since they had an extra copy that they ordered on accident.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 23 of 56 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4424 posts

[ Edited ]
May 18, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

scarecrowman175 wrote:

Are you absolutely sure it was a new copy? Looking at GameStop's website Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is also 29.99 (http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/uncharted-drakes-fortune/90761) with used copies being 9.99. You are correct as to the PlayStation Store copy being 29.99 as well. I'm sure prices vary from each GameStop store as well, but from what I can see they are the same exact price at both stores.

I've caught GameStop trying to sell me used copies passed off as a new copy, TWICE. Such dirty scam artists.

They said it was the "display" copy used on the floor, so it isn't considered "used." :smileysurprised: (What?!)

When I opened it up, it didn't even have the manual or map. I demanded a new sealed copy and they said they were out.

I can't say ALL GameStops are the same, but the 4 stores around in my area are. So, I can only assume they are all the same, since their business practice seems to be identical, and all the employees appear to have the same training.

If they were not so conveniently placed around here, I wouldn't bother buying games at GameStop. It is absolutely a chore when I do.

"Want to pre-order anything else?" NO. "Are you sure, GTAV is coming out in September?" No thank you. "Do you want to sign up for power rewards program?" Not today. Uhhhggg... Every. Time.

/rant

The one near me gave me a 50% bonus to trade in credit by telling me to go on my smartphone, order an "in-store" pickup to get a coupon for a 50% bonus, and then "return" the game so that I end up spending no extra and just get more credit because I missed the previous bonus that ended the day before.

And then on the day of COD BO2's midnight release, gave me the hardened edition instead of standard since they had an extra copy that they ordered on accident.

Gamestop is a corporate evil monster. They don't hire gamers. They hire people so they can train to sell games. They don't want your opininion on games or even your knowledge. I spent a day talking to the manager at my local gamestop which was several years ago. I was talking about this new game and this old game and basically everything that I was talking about was flying over the guys head. All he can say in return is "would you like to place 5 dollars down to preorder Halo 2" knowing that I didn't have the system at the time.

It is one thing to have a Xbox Guru and a PS Gura and Nintendo Guru or a PC Guru working at a store but if you planning on working at a store that sells games across all platforms. It would help if they were knowledgeable in all areas than just one.

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 24 of 56 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

May 18, 2013

That's why I love Amazon!  :smileyhappy:

Message 25 of 56 (59 Views)
PlayStation MVP
25931 posts

May 18, 2013

FreshRevenge wrote:

(Sony doesn't own Wal Mart, now do they? They also didn't make The Matrix, Warner Bros, did and it's a thirteen year old movie, so WB has long since made a profit on it. Studios don't make their money selling the movie to you through Wal Mart, they make it from selling it TO Wal Mart. What you don't grasp is that Wal Mart competes against Target and others to get you into the store, not Sony. As I've said before that if you own a PS3 there's only ONE source to buy movies on it, so there's no incentive to lower the price)

(There have been a few instances where I've bought digital copies that the discs have been damaged, and had since gone out of print, however those were rare, and I don't seem to understand what that has to do with the discussion)

(That's most likely a deal they worked out with Square for that price drop, and not merely to be swell guys, but that's neither here nor there)

(Alberstons??? We don't have those on the East coast, so I'm guessing it's some sort of grocery store. We don't even have Safeway here either. I'm going to venture a guess that this Albertson place doesn't have a very good meat department, probably because it's not profitable for them to have it. "Not all grocery stores have the same thing for sale" however it's not for the reason you think. Certain items aren't profitable for them to have. 

This whole argument always seem to come down to "they should lower the price because if they want to sell more). It would stand to reason that the volume they are selling now is enough to be profitable. Another thing I hear is "if they lowered the price they would sell more". Where is the evidence to support that? It's another unsubstantiated gamer logic myth. There's only a certain amount of this money to go around in the market. If anything they'd sell the same volume, only twice as fast and at a lower margin, so that would mean LOSING money.

Games are a perishable commodity. Game developers have to sell as many units as they can at a certain price in order to break even. Lowering the price to be swell guys, as so many have suggested, would blow their profit margin, and for a smaller company that would spell DISASTER. It's simple economics. A higher profit margin on a more expensive item, equals more profits. It's not the way that the gamer community wants to the business to work, but as the saying goes; nothing personal, this is busines)

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

Message 26 of 56 (57 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12620 posts

May 18, 2013

FreshRevenge wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

scarecrowman175 wrote:

/rant

Gamestop is a corporate evil monster. They don't hire gamers. They hire people so they can train to sell games. They don't want your opininion on games or even your knowledge. I spent a day talking to the manager at my local gamestop which was several years ago. I was talking about this new game and this old game and basically everything that I was talking about was flying over the guys head. All he can say in return if would you like to place 5 dollars down to preorder Halo 2 knowing that I didn't have the system at the time.

It is one thing to have a Xbox Guru and a PS Gura and Nintendo Guru or a PC Guru working at a store but if you planning on working at a store that sells games across all platforms. It would help if they were knowledgeable in all areas than just one.

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

Well your Gamestops have horrible employees too.

The one I go to, I've had many in-length discussions about Tales of Graces f, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, COD, Skyward Sword, etc. They can usually give me a good recommendation if I ask for games similar to another game I own (never had a bad rec yet from them)

Plus I have a buddy who used to work at the same Gamestop, and he can get me discounts and stuff.

Message 27 of 56 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
259 posts

May 18, 2013
The competition for PSN is retail. If the game is 9.99 used @gamestop & 29.99 on PSN, then, financially speaking, the smart move is gamestop. If iTunes cost more for individual songs than cd's cost. iTunes would be doa. Digital will never beat retail until its cheaper or consoles artificially cut off retail (2nd hand retail)
Message 28 of 56 (50 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12620 posts

May 19, 2013

uptownsoul wrote:
The competition for PSN is retail. If the game is 9.99 used @gamestop & 29.99 on PSN, then, financially speaking, the smart move is gamestop. If iTunes cost more for individual songs than cd's cost. iTunes would be doa. Digital will never beat retail until its cheaper or consoles artificially cut off retail (2nd hand retail)

Not really. Some people cannot access retail stores easily or live in countries where prices are artificially high and so digital is the better option.

Some people swear only to buy new games and never used (for various reasons) and as such would prefer digital

Some people hate physical media and would rather have everything on an HDD/memory card. (especially for handhelds)

Some people are just too lazy to go to the store.

Message 29 of 56 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
259 posts

May 19, 2013
Congrats freshrevenge, you now know GameStop is a business. They don't want to hire gamers with experience. Experience costs more money. They want cheap employees. Think AutoZone hires only auto mechanics?
Message 30 of 56 (43 Views)
0 Likes