Mar 20 2013
By: Kali_boiz_4life Sackboy 489 posts

should DLC be free?

43 replies 299 views Edited Mar 20, 2013

I remember back in the old days, ps2. We dont need DLC. We pay $49.99 and get all the content the games have to offer. We just have to unlock these contents by beating the game, or getting secret stuff, or scoring high rank, to unlock maps, costumes, weapons, ect. Now instead of having us unlocking them with challenging stuff to do in the game, we have to just fork up money to unlock them? Some games, if you try to buy all content for the game, the content itself is sometime double the price you paid for the game. So we have to pay $150+ to get everything in the game? Thats kinda lame. I expect to get all content the game has to offer when I paid $59.99 for a game.

Message 1 of 44 (299 Views)
MVP Support
7006 posts

Re: should DLC be free?

Mar 20, 2013
Depends, costume packs should already be included in game.
Message 2 of 44 (292 Views)
Sackboy
499 posts

Mar 20, 2013

It's the new pay to win micro-transaction program.  Why work for everything when you can just buy it and instantly boost yourself higher.

One reason I don't much care for Playstation and hate EA these days. 

--- If Socom fans cannot support a Socom game, why should they ever support a non-Socom game? ---
Message 3 of 44 (284 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13633 posts

Mar 20, 2013
Anything on the disk at release should be included in the initial purchase.

Anything you actually have to download (not just a permission key) can be charged for, since the devs worked extra on it (after the game was completed; if they want to give it away its their choice, essentially, but they can charge if they want to). I remember the days of actual expansions that expanded the game, and were worth the money ($20+) you spent on it; no way would they be given away for free after all the work to put them together.
Message 4 of 44 (273 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Mar 20, 2013

This has been argued to death but I'll play along.

Not all DLC is a blatant cash-in. Not all developers withhold content and then charge you money for it - i.e. Capcom. Some DLC adds value to a product long after the release date of the main game/story. I'm looking at DLC for Red Dead Revolver, such as Undead Nightmare; DLC for Mass Effect 2 and more from reasonable developers. 

Then there are the Capcom's and Namco's of the gaming world that include content on the disc and then make you pay extra or price an extra skin for an aircraft at $5. Yeah, of that type of DLC I'm not a fan. 

So it's reasonable to conclude that given the wide differences between how dev's and pub's use DLC, no it shouldn't be necessarily free. 

Your best bet is to vote with your money. Capcom and Namco have gotten very little form me this generation and they're two of my favorite developers. As far as DLC from either company, I don't buy any of it. 

Message 5 of 44 (271 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Mar 20, 2013
I support story DLC, but maps, weapons, and skins is just a waste of money imo. The problem is, no matter how much we complain there is somebody buying those, and that way they'll never stop releasing those kind s of DLC.
Message 6 of 44 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
347 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2013

well imo there are DLC that worth buying and worth spending money on while there are some DLC that I feel a cheap way from the companies to make more money . anyway for me I like to support the games that I really enjoyed and I don't mind paying for the DLC for these games and hoping to see more sequels for those games in the future

Message 7 of 44 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Mar 20, 2013
yeah loke different color suits for a char and they want .99 cent for it.. it already on the disc.
Message 8 of 44 (251 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
27152 posts

Mar 20, 2013

I know how many like to believe that this stuff just appears out of thin air, but it takes time, resources, and money to create downloads. And most importantly, it takes PEOPLE. That's right, real live fleash and blood people to create downloads, and they deserve to be paid for their hard work.

Message 9 of 44 (241 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
6593 posts

Mar 20, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

I remember back in the old days, ps2. We dont need DLC. We pay $49.99 and get all the content the games have to offer. We just have to unlock these contents by beating the game, or getting secret stuff, or scoring high rank, to unlock maps, costumes, weapons, ect. Now instead of having us unlocking them with challenging stuff to do in the game, we have to just fork up money to unlock them? Some games, if you try to buy all content for the game, the content itself is sometime double the price you paid for the game. So we have to pay $150+ to get everything in the game? Thats kinda lame. I expect to get all content the game has to offer when I paid $59.99 for a game.

I have to agree. i think if game is going to be  dlc to death  they shouldnt charge  60$ to buy , but charge 30$ then the rest is  dlc  they are with holding will  add up  to 60-80$.. Its a fair shake to the gamer  than  charge people 60$ for a game and they know  part of it is not  in the  game.

Me personally i think  only new expasion packs should the only dlc for  games,  something new that wasnt in the game to start. like red  dead nightmare or a level map created from scratch or fan suggested skins in a game.

I dont agree  with  charging people for  stuff that already in the game for 60$.. I think  they should  lower the price  if they going to do that. it fair to the gamer. also with price set at 30$ in  60$ era of game standard  it should  bring in a profit.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 10 of 44 (232 Views)