MVP Support
9858 posts

Re: should DLC be free?

Mar 20, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

I remember back in the old days, ps2. We dont need DLC. We pay $49.99 and get all the content the games have to offer. We just have to unlock these contents by beating the game, or getting secret stuff, or scoring high rank, to unlock maps, costumes, weapons, ect. Now instead of having us unlocking them with challenging stuff to do in the game, we have to just fork up money to unlock them? Some games, if you try to buy all content for the game, the content itself is sometime double the price you paid for the game. So we have to pay $150+ to get everything in the game? Thats kinda lame. I expect to get all content the game has to offer when I paid $59.99 for a game.

I have to agree. i think if game is going to be  dlc to death  they shouldnt charge  60$ to buy , but charge 30$ then the rest is  dlc  they are with holding will  add up  to 60-80$.. Its a fair shake to the gamer  than  charge people 60$ for a game and they know  part of it is not  in the  game.

Me personally i think  only new expasion packs should the only dlc for  games,  something new that wasnt in the game to start. like red  dead nightmare or a level map created from scratch or fan suggested skins in a game.

I dont agree  with  charging people for  stuff that already in the game for 60$.. I think  they should  lower the price  if they going to do that. it fair to the gamer. also with price set at 30$ in  60$ era of game standard  it should  bring in a profit.

The thing is many games that have DLC are not apart of the original game, they can added more to the story, or a new little story that would not of been in the game otherwise. DLC requires a sperate budget, so it makes sense we have to pay for it, they do extra work to give fans of the game something new, and we have to pay something for their hardwork. I will purchase DLC, although I mostly go for story related DLC.

There are certain games that have disc locked content, that kind of DLC I don`t like because it`s already on the disc, and they want you to pay for an unlock key, that kind of DLC was included in the games original budget, and we already paid for it when we bought the game, so them charging again, you are really paying two times for the same content.

Message 11 of 44 (159 Views)
Splicer
53 posts

Mar 20, 2013

You have to also look at it as a marketing tool. When they release a game and everyone had a chance to play it, they dont want you to put it down and move on. They throw out DLC to keep getting you back. Which makes sense but I think it shouldn't be so high priced. I dont mind spending up to 10 dollars fo content but now it seems like each content is 15 now. Times that by 4 and you just doubled the original price. So I see what you' re getting at.

Message 12 of 44 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2572 posts

Mar 20, 2013

Most dlc should be free.  When there's dlc that adds 5 hours of game play or more than it can cost money.  Costume packs and misc stuff like that should definitely be free.

Play-Asia.com - Buy Games & Codes for PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and PC / Mac.
Message 13 of 44 (148 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9858 posts

Mar 20, 2013

AverageJoe5000 wrote:

You have to also look at it as a marketing tool. When they release a game and everyone had a chance to play it, they dont want you to put it down and move on. They throw out DLC to keep getting you back. Which makes sense but I think it shouldn't be so high priced. I dont mind spending up to 10 dollars fo content but now it seems like each content is 15 now. Times that by 4 and you just doubled the original price. So I see what you' re getting at.

That also depends on the lenght of the DLC, I agree some are over priced, I saw DLC that costs $10 and don`t give you any more then an hours of gameplay, and I saw DLC for the same price that may give you 3 or more hours of game play. Think about it, a game costs $60 and most action types run arounf 10 hours, so playing $10-$15 for 3 or more hours, so you can get your moneys worth on DLC.

Message 14 of 44 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
80 posts

Mar 21, 2013

I don't know if they should be free, but the prices are quite outrageous. I'll take Dead or Alive for an example. After receiving the game yesterday I looked at the DLC and face palmed. Some of the costume packs are selling for $12.99. Not extra characters, not extra stages, but costumes.

I just went ahead and calculated the total price of the Dead or Alive 5 Plus DLC. it comes to a total of $195.67. The price of the game itself is $39.99 which means if you bought all the DLC you'd be paying 4-5x more than the actual game itself. Is that not messed up?

To me, that's disgusting. I wish more people thought that way as well as if people didn't purchase them, developers would stop making them. The issue is we are outnumbered and DLC is here to stay.

Message 15 of 44 (137 Views)
VP of Gaming
28833 posts

Mar 21, 2013

Here's the thing though, you have the choice NOT to buy it. If you're unhappy with what's being offered, then as the saying goes, vote with your wallet.

Message 16 of 44 (133 Views)
Splicer
80 posts

Mar 21, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Here's the thing though, you have the choice NOT to buy it. If you're unhappy with what's being offered, then as the saying goes, vote with your wallet.

Except when the content used to be included within the game free, you are going to say that's fair? We are paying more for the game itself as game prices have gone up and we are getting less content. That's fair? It's frustrating to say the least to pay as much as we do and get nothing in terms of content as it's all DLC.

It used to be in a fighting game you would get a ton of different costumes included in the game. Usually you would unlock the full costume list by completing objectives in the game. Now you get a couple included in the game and the rest you have to pay for.

And that's just fighting games. Like I said, while we can vote with our wallet, it doesn't help when most people end up paying for it. Whether it's the gamer themselves or a parent who doesn't know better, people are paying for it.

The natural progression is we are soon going to see games be released where you don't even get to play the full game.

Message 17 of 44 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6943 posts

Mar 21, 2013

alamarco2 wrote:

I don't know if they should be free, but the prices are quite outrageous. I'll take Dead or Alive for an example. After receiving the game yesterday I looked at the DLC and face palmed. Some of the costume packs are selling for $12.99. Not extra characters, not extra stages, but costumes.

I just went ahead and calculated the total price of the Dead or Alive 5 Plus DLC. it comes to a total of $195.67. The price of the game itself is $39.99 which means if you bought all the DLC you'd be paying 4-5x more than the actual game itself. Is that not messed up?

To me, that's disgusting. I wish more people thought that way as well as if people didn't purchase them, developers would stop making them. The issue is we are outnumbered and DLC is here to stay.

Not really it depends on how they did it. the starting price is very good. but if they  cut it up and  parts  out and sold it after  theymade it i dont agree with that. But  if they made it after the game  was finished , meaning  later  on then its a fair game.

i think dlc  for  mp is waste  of money. when the servers go down you lost your  money.

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 18 of 44 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Mar 21, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

i think dlc  for  mp is waste  of money. when the servers go down you lost your  money.

So what happens if/when the PSN goes down for good? You've lost money there too....

Someone who SUPPOSEDLY owns a business, like you, should about the prospect of MONEY.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 19 of 44 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1515 posts

Mar 21, 2013

Do bird dogs fly? No it shouldn't BUT,we shouldn't have to pay if its already on the disk and requires an unlock...That is all kinds of messed up.

Message 20 of 44 (103 Views)
0 Likes