Fender Bender
4451 posts

Re: so are we really gonna sit around til sometime..

May 30, 2005

,Newfie Cash wrote:

,Smoooff Ed wrote:

,SOCOM kid wrote:

very good post, esp the highlighted red part

Thank you.  I'm trying not buying into either companies' hype.  As a PS2 owner, I have many reasons to purchase a PS3.  Microsoft has released a lot of information which has been so clearly tainted, that it has turned me off to the X360.  What Sony has released to this point seems pretty straightforward.  Yeah, there are holes in the info they have released (we don't really know much about the RSX, for example).  But at least they haven't been publishing information which is blatent crap.
Cant forget what happened at e3 with all those pre-rendered demos.  They basically let us believe they were in-game to build up the hype.  Sony aint very trustworthey either sometimes too.

Those pre-rendered demos made me want the PS3 more.  They were impressive...they showed me what I wanted to see.  Microsoft's demos were not impressive, and left you saying "that's all they've got?"  Also, pre-rendered doesn't mean they weren't done on the PS3 development kits.  And could we please not get into that argument in this thread...there are enough threads dedicated to that already.

Showing trailers is supposed to hype your machine.  That is why they show them.  I should have said the technical information Sony has released has appeared fairly straightforward...except we don't know enough about the RSX.
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 36 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

May 30, 2005

,Newfie Cash wrote:

,Smoooff Ed wrote:

,SOCOM kid wrote:

very good post, esp the highlighted red part

Thank you.  I'm trying not buying into either companies' hype.  As a PS2 owner, I have many reasons to purchase a PS3.  Microsoft has released a lot of information which has been so clearly tainted, that it has turned me off to the X360.  What Sony has released to this point seems pretty straightforward.  Yeah, there are holes in the info they have released (we don't really know much about the RSX, for example).  But at least they haven't been publishing information which is blatent crap.
Cant forget what happened at e3 with all those pre-rendered demos.  They basically let us believe they were in-game to build up the hype.  Sony aint very trustworthey either sometimes too.

your right.. and for people to look at microsoft and say "they arent trustworthy" or "they're lying" is while ignoring what sony has said or led us to believe is foolish and fanboyish..    Truth is, we wont know which one was more "truthfull" until we have them side by side.
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 36 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

May 30, 2005

,Smoooff Ed wrote:

Those pre-rendered demos made me want the PS3 more.  They were impressive...they showed me what I wanted to see.  Microsoft's demos were not impressive, and left you saying "that's all they've got?"  Also, pre-rendered doesn't mean they weren't done on the PS3 development kits.  And could we please not get into that argument in this thread...there are enough threads dedicated to that already.

Showing trailers is supposed to hype your machine.  That is why they show them.  I should have said the technical information Sony has released has appeared fairly straightforward...except we don't know enough about the RSX.

your right.. those videos where mouthwattering..  And while watching the e3 press conference I was thinking wow!..  but then after watching it (Ive now seen it 2 times 2hours long each time uuggh) I left feeling like Ive seen it all before...  why?  cause it was basicly the same conference that they held in 1999 when they unveiled the ps2.  They showed some impressive tech demos and then a cg movie sequence that wowed everyone there... Then when we had the product in our hands (I had mine on launch day) it wasnt what I remember seeing at e3.  Fast forward to now..  impressive tech demos followed by cg video sequence..  will history repeat itself?  Who knows..  time will tell though...  

then microsoft in 2001, showed their system.   the game demos looked sub par, and were jaggy..  I remember hearing people say that it would never take off, and they were comparing the graphics to ps1.  Microsoft displayed what they had wich were unfinished games..  then when released they were impressive..

anyways, I would rather a company give us a sneak peak of un-finished games (acutal gameplay lowering expectations) and then wow me when I turn my tv on with a controller in my hand, than a company to wow me (building up hype with cgi movies raising expectations) and then dissappoint me when I have the controller in my hand..    Im not saying that the ps3 will dissappoint, but the ps2 did.  At least for me.. I still love it, but IMHO it didnt deliver what they said.. at least initially..   I

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 36 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4451 posts

May 30, 2005

,Five0Four wrote:

,Smoooff Ed wrote:

your right.. those videos where mouthwattering..  And while watching the e3 press conference I was thinking wow!..  but then after watching it (Ive now seen it 2 times 2hours long each time uuggh) I left feeling like Ive seen it all before...  why?  cause it was basicly the same conference that they held in 1999 when they unveiled the ps2.  They showed some impressive tech demos and then a cg movie sequence that wowed everyone there... Then when we had the product in our hands (I had mine on launch day) it wasnt what I remember seeing at e3.  Fast forward to now..  impressive tech demos followed by cg video sequence..  will history repeat itself?  Who knows..  time will tell though...  

then microsoft in 2001, showed their system.   the game demos looked sub par, and were jaggy..  I remember hearing people say that it would never take off, and they were comparing the graphics to ps1.  Microsoft displayed what they had wich were unfinished games..  then when released they were impressive..

anyways, I would rather a company give us a sneak peak of un-finished games (acutal gameplay lowering expectations) and then wow me when I turn my tv on with a controller in my hand, than a company to wow me (building up hype with cgi movies raising expectations) and then dissappoint me when I have the controller in my hand..    Im not saying that the ps3 will dissappoint, but the ps2 did.  At least for me.. I still love it, but IMHO it didnt deliver what they said.. at least initially..   I

I hear what you are saying.  I wasn't really into gaming back then, so I'm not expert on how they overpromised with the PS2.  I take it as a fact that they did...majorly.

What seems different this time is those trailers aren't that far off from current PC games.  I'm not expecting launch games that look like the Killzone trailer.  But I'm not going to be surprised if they appear after a couple years.  Look at the Gears of War trailer on the X360...very impressive (and the quality was very similar to the Killzone trailer).

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 36 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

May 30, 2005

,Smoooff Ed wrote:

I hear what you are saying.  I wasn't really into gaming back then, so I'm not expert on how they overpromised with the PS2.  I take it as a fact that they did...majorly.

What seems different this time is those trailers aren't that far off from current PC games.  I'm not expecting launch games that look like the Killzone trailer.  But I'm not going to be surprised if they appear after a couple years.  Look at the Gears of War trailer on the X360...very impressive (and the quality was very similar to the Killzone trailer).

the promising thing this time around is that the distance between consoles pcs has shrunk to almost nothing..  There is no reason why killzone graphics shouldnt be able to be done in a game cause microsoft did it with GoW and it was playable..  My concern with this is, that it may take a long time to make..  It MIGHT be 3 years before we get to see killzone in action.
Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 36 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
455 posts

Jun 1, 2005
sorry dude im just a guy from jersey, dont live out there, still im pro american thou  lol.,
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 36 (3 Views)
0 Likes