Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 29 1999
By: kanada~old First Son 13 posts

sony will kill the pc

8 replies 51 views Edited Nov 29, 1999
Sony will kill the pc and rule the console univrse. It will do everything thoes $3500 g4 for about $300 plus devices but what away to start. Read the artical in WIRED about sony's plans to kill the pc(november 99) and you will see the sega for what it is. A cheap attemp at a system. I would rather play my 32 bit playstation that p.o.s.!!!!!!!!
Message 1 of 9 (51 Views)
0 Likes
This widget could not be displayed.
0 posts

RE: sony will kill the pc

Nov 29, 1999
same here
Message 2 of 9 (51 Views)
0 Likes
0 posts

Nov 29, 1999
NO IT WONT IT WONT DO AS MUCH AS A 3500$ PC EVEN THOW IT KICKS ASS, IT HOWEVER BRING DOWN THE PRICES FOR PCS

=)
Message 3 of 9 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Nov 29, 1999
Whose gonna buy a $3000 PC?!?! And whose gonna develop for specs like that when hardly no one will have them?!?!
Message 4 of 9 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
970 posts

Nov 29, 1999
The PC will die in most part because of the PSX2 and the X-Box will grab what's left of the PC gamers.
"I would rather be the first man in a barbarian village then the second man in Rome"-Julius Caesar
Message 5 of 9 (51 Views)
0 Likes
0 posts

Nov 29, 1999
um im sorry... but i dont think you all know your stuff
the pc has been around for years and definetly has the sofware advantage from many years of development and one reason the pc aint gunna die is the internet heh sure the playstation 2 can surf the net but can it serve it im talken servers network servers and hosts and isp these canot exactly be replaced by a $400 dolar machine
and um well you might want to remember there will be no true operating system try getting stuff done on that...
and well forget saving large files... no hard drive so even if it connects to the net (it definetly will) its main perpose will most likely be for games (wich pc does already) and the clock speed anyone who knows computers knows clock speed is like candy in the canystore window what you see their affects wether you go in there or another store and well 400 MHz isnt all that much in y2k ok... and lets talk system bus im guessing about 100-200MHz probubly 100 maybe less (not sure on figures but suriosly doutfull on more) ok youve got your graphics and sound and main processor comunicating over that bus its gotta have high speed were in computers theyve already got agp up to 4x the system bus speed (100MHz x4 = 400) and the RAM is gunna be slow... its at the same speed of the bus in pc's thats gunna jump within the next year... athlon is on 200MHZ bus soon rombus ram is comming probubly next year 500MHz bus speeds looking down on the playstation 2 about now
i can build a pc that is alot better than the playstation2 right now for $1400 with all the ports all the extras 133MHz bus dual 550MHz celron processors (total of system clock 1100MHz compared to 400) a cd burner, a moniter (like 5 times better than tv graphics to begin with) a dvd drive, tv in and out, suround sound, speakers,and other things now that comes with alot more too alot of things such as an operating system and actual hardware upgrades and software updates now add to that playstation2 ($400) a tv $100-$200 suround sound/w speakers $200-$500 and what do you have now?
$700-$1100 now that is sad! do the math... $700 x 3.5 = $2450 cus the computer performance is about 4 times better
so if you go price to performance pc is cheaper
\by the way i havnt seen the article in wired so if there is something i dont know that is in there tha toyu think i should know please tell me and im interested in anything people have to say in reply
Message 6 of 9 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
970 posts

The PC is as dead as the dreamcraper-Why do you think Microsoft is making the X-BOX

Nov 29, 1999
No Text
"I would rather be the first man in a barbarian village then the second man in Rome"-Julius Caesar
Message 7 of 9 (51 Views)
0 Likes
0 posts

re:

Nov 30, 1999
well microsoft likes to have a menopoly theyre just moving into more and more markets now they want to be a console to the x-box will be a non upgradable pc so anythign for x-box probubly compatable with any other pc and if that is true then it will not flop too badly but anyways microsoft only makes teh software and operating systems that run on other peoples hardware so microsoft wants money and power so windows isnt going to always be the best operating system for the pc and a pc can use different operating systems microsoft is trying to kill the pc if the x-box is cheaper and workes almost as good then people will buy it and if they make the hardware then they can make sure that no other operating system runs on it and so killing other operating systems and if they are taking over then they will also have hardware controll too making prophet off of hardware and software wee hoo now this is a deel but the thing is x-box will not be able to do that becus its not going to be that good huh sure people will buy it as a cheap pc but its not enuph to kill the pc unless they have some revolutionary developments that can only be done by desinging it like a console building it from the ground up for performance wich will not happen becus microsoft wouldnt be cool like that
Message 8 of 9 (51 Views)
0 Likes
0 posts

my mistake

Nov 30, 1999
the fast ram i was talking about is in the playstation2 LoL isnt that interesting so i guess you can take that off the list
but one thing i would like on the playstation 2 is a hard drive and an os
Message 9 of 9 (51 Views)
0 Likes