Apr 18 2013
By: psxsage Hekseville Citizen 243 posts

starting to get frustrated with the VIta games library...or lack their of.

13 replies 329 views Edited Apr 18, 2013

As a long time Sony fan it pains me to say this but im getting real close to abandoning ship on the Vita...it's been given more than enough time as this point to have a larger higher quality library than it does.  The psp,3ds,ds etc all had  WAY better lineup at this point in their respective histories....As my 3DSXL library grows...my tablet games list grows...my vita library has about 5 games in it...all five of which i have played through multiple times by now.  REally sony get your stuff together...You need to...asap

1. Price drop to acquire newer users and a bigger install base..*I* dont think the Vita is over priced but not everyone has the disposable income i do or others do...the masses have spoken with their wallets however.

2.Grow the games library...FAST the entire named lineup for 2013 still doesn't make the VIta library 30% the size it should be...

3. LOwer memory card prices..worst GB to $ ratio on memory since xbox 360 hard drives..seriously.

Do something sony...it's really bad when my gaming shelf has more PS3,PS2,PSP,3DS,DS games than i can count...and literally 5 Vita games after over a year...sad

i can not remember a console or handheld in recent memory (short of the really odd failures like virtual boy,phillips cd-i etc) that had a games library THIS small with a metacritic rating average THIS low ..for THIS long..

PlayStation 4
Playstation 3
3DSXL Cosmo Black
Vita 2000 (Slim) Black Borderlands 2 bundle
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g
Owner of LiquidEvilGaming Youtube channel
@LiquidEvilGames Twitter
Message 1 of 14 (329 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1209 posts

Re: starting to get frustrated with the VIta games library...or lack their of.

Apr 18, 2013

Yeah Sony. You do all that stuff. I'm sure you don't know what you're doing seeing as how you've been in the electronics business forever. BettaMax.

Message 2 of 14 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Apr 18, 2013

Despite there being other threads about this already, I'll bite...

1. Disagree that it's necessary. Bundles can be found for $200 when on sale, which is pretty reasonable. Sales attract buyers more than a price cut....it's all psychological.

2. 30%? Really?! lol. Completely disagree. The Vita has plenty of great games, both big and small. Just picked up Guacamelee! and it's awesome. Yeah, it's for PS3 too, but so what? If you want some high profile Vita-only games, well Soul Sacrifice is coming in two weeks, and then there's Tearaway and KZ:M later in the year. And reports have said that there will be more than 100 titles coming to Vita over the course of this year. I'd say that's pretty good.

3. This is the only point I agree with - memory cards prices definitely need to drop, or even better, allow third party manufacturers to make them. I do think the issue is slightly overblown since Vita owners really only need to buy one 16GB or 32GB and be done with it, but perception is everything, so a price cut would help.

Message 3 of 14 (311 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2530 posts

Apr 18, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

1. Disagree that it's necessary. Bundles can be found for $200 when on sale, which is pretty reasonable. Sales attract buyers more than a price cut....it's all psychological.

2. 30%? Really?! lol. Completely disagree. The Vita has plenty of great games, both big and small. Just picked up Guacamelee! and it's awesome. Yeah, it's for PS3 too, but so what? If you want some high profile Vita-only games, well Soul Sacrifice is coming in two weeks, and then there's Tearaway and KZ:M later in the year. And reports have said that there will be more than 100 titles coming to Vita over the course of this year. I'd say that's pretty good.

3. This is the only point I agree with - memory cards prices definitely need to drop, or even better, allow third party manufacturers to make them. I do think the issue is slightly overblown since Vita owners really only need to buy one 16GB or 32GB and be done with it, but perception is everything, so a price cut would help.

1. You have no evidence of this, whereas there's plenty of evidence that lack of a price cut is destroying the PSV. Sales for NA (which is where most sales occur) have been below 6k for more than two months now. If sales would attract buyers as you say, those numbers would spike even a slight bit during said sales. Yet, they remain constant. Similarly in Japan, prior to the announcement of a price cut, many retailers slashed the price some (though of course, not as much as what Sony could afford) and sales remained pathetic. It wasn't until the price cut that PSV numbers finally went above 20k with two bad weeks in a row below 20k but that it spread across the board for all systems. I can't fathom how could you even think that a price cut < sporadic sales when the 3DS itself skyrocketed even with a poor library (at its time) after a price cut~.

2. The PSV has amassed a good amount of games. But it still lacks a killer game that you've to have a PSV to play no matter what. Of course that is subjective, but software sale numbers reflect this. No game stands out much and one of the best selling games of all time for the PSV is an enhanced port of a PS2 game. Indeed, there will be 100 games coming to the PSV. But most of those will be indie games which, for the most part, aren't neither exclusive nor AAA productions. Coming from the PSP, I'm pretty sure most people expected to have a fine selection of JRPGs, but so far that is not the case. Furthermore, seeing Nintendo take the initiative and assist companies like Square Enix in localizating / publishing big projects like Bravely Default only makes Sony look like they are giving up on the AAA market~.

3. I disagree. I own both an 8GB card and a 32GB card. The former is full because of PSP / PSOne Classics. The latter has roughly 10GB free. That wouldn't sound terrible but it is considering I bought it last November. There're too many digital only games (and sales that help reinforce the appeal of said digital content) that 32GB can be filled rather quickly. Considering that you can't extract the save file out of a digital game (and I don't care to pay for PS+ in order to have the ability to do so) deleting a game is not an option since then I wouldn't be able to return to them some day in order to get more trophies. Somebody could say that perhaps I could backup my games to a PC and go through the process of backing content, plugging cables, restore stuff (which is quite slow by the way, I've no idea why). But this is the era of commodity, and quite honestly all that sounds like a hassle. The solution, of course, would be cheaper memory cards since we all will fill them up sooner or later. Some of us will fill it sooner rather than later~.

Message 4 of 14 (263 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Apr 18, 2013

I said it before and I'll say it again: man I love being a turt....

Wait for E3. It's almost a month away.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 5 of 14 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2530 posts

Apr 18, 2013
Closer to two months than one. And in all honesty, I don't think E3 is the solution, if Nintendo is failing at keeping a steady rate of updates for the Wii U, so is Sony with the PSV. Say that they announce 5 new games for the PSV. Then what~?

That's why Nintendo is destroying with the 3DS and their Nintendo Directs. And that's why I wish Sony would have given more support to the PSV while they had a chance (since now the PS4 will obviously be the focus) with PSV Heaven events~.
Message 6 of 14 (224 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Apr 18, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
Closer to two months than one. And in all honesty, I don't think E3 is the solution, if Nintendo is failing at keeping a steady rate of updates for the Wii U, so is Sony with the PSV. Say that they announce 5 new games for the PSV. Then what~?

That's why Nintendo is destroying with the 3DS and their Nintendo Directs. And that's why I wish Sony would have given more support to the PSV while they had a chance (since now the PS4 will obviously be the focus) with PSV Heaven events~.

Ok but E3 could reveal a large portion of the supposed 100 games releasing for Vita in 2013. Also isn't E3 normally the end of May?

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 7 of 14 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4051 posts

Apr 18, 2013
Obviously since there are many threads on this topic, it truly is a problem. I'm one who does not need many Games but would love to have more shooters and sports games. They could at least make all the PSP games available on the Vita store front. I've been wanting to play GT PSP on my Vita, but I'm not buying a ps3 just to transfer game to my Vita.
Message 8 of 14 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2530 posts

Apr 18, 2013

W1Z4RDRY wrote:
Ok but E3 could reveal a large portion of the supposed 100 games releasing for Vita in 2013. Also isn't E3 normally the end of May?

It depends. I still believe those 100 games will be indie games; otherwise Sony would've touted its horn already. And no, E3 is (to my recollection) always in June~.

Message 9 of 14 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Apr 18, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

1. You have no evidence of this, whereas there's plenty of evidence that lack of a price cut is destroying the PSV. Sales for NA (which is where most sales occur) have been below 6k for more than two months now. If sales would attract buyers as you say, those numbers would spike even a slight bit during said sales. Yet, they remain constant. Similarly in Japan, prior to the announcement of a price cut, many retailers slashed the price some (though of course, not as much as what Sony could afford) and sales remained pathetic. It wasn't until the price cut that PSV numbers finally went above 20k with two bad weeks in a row below 20k but that it spread across the board for all systems. I can't fathom how could you even think that a price cut < sporadic sales when the 3DS itself skyrocketed even with a poor library (at its time) after a price cut~.

2. The PSV has amassed a good amount of games. But it still lacks a killer game that you've to have a PSV to play no matter what. Of course that is subjective, but software sale numbers reflect this. No game stands out much and one of the best selling games of all time for the PSV is an enhanced port of a PS2 game. Indeed, there will be 100 games coming to the PSV. But most of those will be indie games which, for the most part, aren't neither exclusive nor AAA productions. Coming from the PSP, I'm pretty sure most people expected to have a fine selection of JRPGs, but so far that is not the case. Furthermore, seeing Nintendo take the initiative and assist companies like Square Enix in localizating / publishing big projects like Bravely Default only makes Sony look like they are giving up on the AAA market~.

3. I disagree. I own both an 8GB card and a 32GB card. The former is full because of PSP / PSOne Classics. The latter has roughly 10GB free. That wouldn't sound terrible but it is considering I bought it last November. There're too many digital only games (and sales that help reinforce the appeal of said digital content) that 32GB can be filled rather quickly. Considering that you can't extract the save file out of a digital game (and I don't care to pay for PS+ in order to have the ability to do so) deleting a game is not an option since then I wouldn't be able to return to them some day in order to get more trophies. Somebody could say that perhaps I could backup my games to a PC and go through the process of backing content, plugging cables, restore stuff (which is quite slow by the way, I've no idea why). But this is the era of commodity, and quite honestly all that sounds like a hassle. The solution, of course, would be cheaper memory cards since we all will fill them up sooner or later. Some of us will fill it sooner rather than later~.

1. Actually, there was a huge spike in NA sales during the Black Friday/Holiday sales.

2. Like you said, that's subjective. Several people have bought a Vita just for P4G. Several people have bought a Vita just for Soul Sacrifice. Yes, it's all subjective. Personally, I don't care for there to be a ONE KILLER GAME - buying a system for just one game is ludicrous. I know someone who bought a 3DS just for the new Fire Emblem game and has literally played nothing else. Sorry, but no single game is worth $200-300.

3. Again, I said I do agree there should be a price cut in memory cards, I just think the issue is overblown. Nobody needs to have every game they own installed at once. If you're too cheap to subscribe to PS+ for the online saves, then as you mentioned, you can always take the time to back up to your PC. Otherwise, yes, you'll have to suck it up and pay for another card or two, but that's of your own choosing. Even if prices are cut, you'd still probably have to shell out $50 for a 32GB card, which is the same you'd pay for a year of PS+, which would net you some games as well. If you feel the memory card is a greater value, then that's your prerogative, but don't blame Sony's pricing.

Message 10 of 14 (183 Views)
0 Likes