Apr 25 2013
By: Reaper3480 Splicer 67 posts

when charging my ps3 controller

15 replies 355 views Edited Apr 25, 2013

how do i make my ps3 go to stand by is this even possible or does it just have to do it on its own

Message 1 of 16 (355 Views)
Highlighted
MVP Support
1117 posts

Re: when charging my ps3 controller

[ Edited ]
Apr 25, 2013

Reaper3480 wrote:

how do i make my ps3 go to stand by is this even possible or does it just have to do it on its own

Hi, Reaper3480. Here's information from the Knowledge Center. I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

We recommend setting the PlayStation 3 to stand-by mode (with the red light on) whenever you are not playing the system. We recommend you completely power down the system and then unplug it from the outlet when you are not using the PS3 system for an extended period of time.

Sony Computer Entertainment has been continuously working to reduce power consumption of PS3 in an effort in part to address concerns about the effect of energy consumption on our environment. As one of the fruits of such efforts, (Power Save Settings) is now available on PS3 through upgrading the firmware to version 2.50 or later.

To save power, users can elect to turn off their PS3 system and wireless controllers automatically after a certain period of time if they are left inactive.

Please review the Safety and Support manual for helpful tips on how to maintain your system (manual included with the PS3 system and available for download from PS3 Manuals).

Automatically power off

With system software 2.50 and greater, you will be able to save power by setting the PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after a certain period of inactivity. To configure this setting go to Settings icon (Settings) > Power Save Setting icon (Power Save Settings).

MVP Support Banner.jpg

Message 2 of 16 (348 Views)
Splicer
67 posts

Apr 25, 2013

i dont want to turn anything off i want it to go to stand by so i can charge my controller if my ps3 turns off my controller wont charge so what you posted doesnt help me any.

Message 3 of 16 (314 Views)
Last Guardian
11299 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 25, 2013

Reaper3480 wrote:

i dont want to turn anything off i want it to go to stand by so i can charge my controller if my ps3 turns off my controller wont charge so what you posted doesnt help me any.

To the best of my knowledge you can not charge your controller if the system goes into standby. The standbye mode mentioned by Mew won't let you charge the controller. I generally just let mine charge over night and turn it off in the morning. I know you are looking for some kind of like sleep mode where it'll charge but the overall power usage is much lower than if it was on fully.

Sorry I can't give you a better option than that. Hopefully somone can give  you an option that is better for you than that.

Message 4 of 16 (308 Views)
MVP Support
1117 posts

Apr 25, 2013

Reaper3480 wrote:

Okay, I'm sorry that I couldn't get the right information. Smiley Sad

MVP Support Banner.jpg

Message 5 of 16 (304 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Apr 25, 2013
If you have a computer anywhere nearby, you can just plug the PS3 into a USB spot on your computer and it will charge. I have my laptop (which is plugged into the wall) near where I have my PS3 and just have the controller cord plugged into the USB slot on my laptop. When the controller needs charging, just plug the cord into the controller and viola!
Message 6 of 16 (302 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
1117 posts

Apr 25, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

Reaper3480 wrote:

To the best of my knowledge you can not charge your controller if the system goes into standby. The standbye mode mentioned by Mew won't let you charge the controller. I generally just let mine charge over night and turn it off in the morning. I know you are looking for some kind of like sleep mode where it'll charge but the overall power usage is much lower than if it was on fully.

Sorry I can't give you a better option than that. Hopefully somone can give  you an option that is better for you than that.

Thanks, Papa. I usually keep my PlayStation 3 on too and let it charge. But yeah, there is no way to charge your controller on Stand By. Smiley Sad

MVP Support Banner.jpg

Message 7 of 16 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Apr 25, 2013

hey mew its ok i appreciate you for trying dont beat yourself up over it thanks for trying though

Message 8 of 16 (297 Views)
Splicer
67 posts

Apr 25, 2013

so i noticed that after a while when charging my controller once before the screen went darker i wonder if this is like a mini sleep mode or something when i touched the controller again it woke back up i wonder if that is it. so if i turn off my controller and the system it wont go off fully it will continue to charge as if it were still completley on i have just been keeping it on for the two hour charge when my controller dies.

Message 9 of 16 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

Apr 25, 2013

as far as I know the darker screen is just a screen saver (saves from burn-in)

Do you have a TV with USB ports or as mentioned a PC that you can use to charge your controller? It is such a waste to run the PS3 just to charge the controller.

Message 10 of 16 (272 Views)
0 Likes