Reply
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: why all the hate on call of duty?

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2013

Much of the CoD hate is well founded... While some of it is really undeserving.

 

CaptainAlbator is right, while I dislike CoD, I own MW2 and 3, as well as both Black-Ops titles. Why? Because I like to give games a chance, and I have always enjoyed playing the campaigns, and local multiplayer with ACTUAL friends is fun.

 

That being said. If you break it down, The changes between each subsequent release of a CoD branded game has been very minimal since Monderwarfare 2. That is a fact, albeit one that  is repeated over and over any and every time this comes up, nevertheless, that does not make it less so. Also, the online community IS in fact plagued with children, though this can be remedied with the press of a button to mute them.

 

As far as the overall quality of the games, while they haven't made any drastic changes, to the game... at all... That's probably because they are forced to shove a well-polished game out the door on a yearly basis, which is a borderline unreasonable time-frame. So, the reasons for the games seeming so cookie cutter is not the devs fault so much as their cooperate superiors signing their paychecks.

 

If you REALLY want to hate someone, hate Activision... which some would argue "well they have to make money somehow" true, and their preferred method of monitary gain is exploiting people who will literally buy the same thing re-skinned for decades in a row.

 

At the end of the day, it is just a consumer product... if you don't like it don't buy it.

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 41 of 65 (163 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 11/08/2012
Offline
2456 posts
 

Re: why all the hate on call of duty?

Oct 27, 2013
I just wish for once they make the maps like they used to be. Modern Warfare 2 and all the games before it had awesome multiplayer maps, know they all seem bland :/ I guess black ops 1 was ok, but mw3 and BO2 maps were crummy.
World At War and Modern Warfare 2 may have had some balance issues but the maps were so much more fun to play on.
Message 42 of 65 (155 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 09/11/2012
Offline
1859 posts
 

Re: why all the hate on call of duty?

Oct 27, 2013
@darkforcegod: I want to respectfully discredit your point.

"The fact is popularity doesn't make something great. I mean if we're talking sales and tickets sold it might, but to the people who really get it.. It's just not."

This is by no means true. An absolute perfect example is Super Smash Bros. If popularity is involved, Super Smash Bros. GAVE popularity its meaning. They do not change gameplay, they keep it simple and easy for anyone to play. The only new things they add are characters, stages and items, which every game practically does, including Call of Duty. They don't improve anything except graphics and minor tweaks in gameplay because they know that what they have is solid, and changing it too much could instantly ruin what they have.

Same with Call of Duty. They have something that works. It is very popular amongst gamers all over the world because of its captivating online multiplayer experience. They know that they can do a few things to improve the series, but adding too much can easily ruin the series. They know their limits and they abide by them.

It is because of this that Call of Duty fans remain loyal to Activision, and it is why no matter how much people try to hate on the series, Call of Duty will always be one of the greatest selling games for any generation.

And this is coming from someone who isn't a Call of Duty fanboy
Message 43 of 65 (150 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: why all the hate on call of duty?

Oct 27, 2013

no, popularity doesn't always equal quality. 

 

I will simply say, Mcdonald's outsells five-star restaurants.

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 44 of 65 (147 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 12/16/2005
Offline
333 posts
 

Re: why all the hate on call of duty?

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2013

TotalWafflez wrote:

Because Call of Duty was ruined by hackers and cheaters and racist little brats on the game who don't know how to shut there mouths..


Really? That's it? The series has been garbage for a long time now and for more reasons than those things.

Message 45 of 65 (129 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 04/05/2003
Offline
13294 posts
 

Re: why all the hate on call of duty?

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Much of the CoD hate is well founded... While some of it is really undeserving.

 

CaptainAlbator is right, while I dislike CoD, I own MW2 and 3, as well as both Black-Ops titles. Why? Because I like to give games a chance, and I have always enjoyed playing the campaigns, and local multiplayer with ACTUAL friends is fun.

 

That being said. If you break it down, The changes between each subsequent release of a CoD branded game has been very minimal since Monderwarfare 2. That is a fact, albeit one that  is repeated over and over any and every time this comes up, nevertheless, that does not make it less so. Also, the online community IS in fact plagued with children, though this can be remedied with the press of a button to mute them.

 

As far as the overall quality of the games, while they haven't made any drastic changes, to the game... at all... That's probably because they are forced to shove a well-polished game out the door on a yearly basis, which is a borderline unreasonable time-frame. So, the reasons for the games seeming so cookie cutter is not the devs fault so much as their cooperate superiors signing their paychecks.

 

If you REALLY want to hate someone, hate Activision... which some would argue "well they have to make money somehow" true, and their preferred method of monitary gain is exploiting people who will literally buy the same thing re-skinned for decades in a row.

 

At the end of the day, it is just a consumer product... if you don't like it don't buy it.


Far as a yearly game its truly not needed. The COD fans will disagree of course. But Id rather wait to get something new when I drop my money on a game. Not 60$ for the same game but different levels and maybe a tweek or two. Far as online. It has one of the worst communities. Screaming kids into there mics. Racial comments, Hackers, Cheaters. I own acouple of the newer COD titles for the single player games. Im looking for COD BO2 as well for the story not online and Ill get it when it goes cheap. For me tell me the story and I dont play the game again. Theres nothing new to entice me to play more. Online is a hoax of crap. And ounce the story is over there is nothing left.

Message 46 of 65 (132 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 09/13/2013
Offline
70 posts
 

Re: why all the hate on call of duty?

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2013

What everyone pretty much already said. CoD is for the casual gamer. It doesn't take much skill to run around and shoot people and/or stab them getting you an instant kill. It's also the same tired recipe over and over as already stated. Plus, when I've played multiplayer, the other players just look stupid visually. The way they move, the way they crouch, its idiotic looking. There is nothing REAL looking about it. It looks like a bunch of brain dead cartoons running around like imbeciles with realistic looking guns. But Activision/Trey Arch keeps making these titles because people keep buying them. Why should they change their formula? Gamers haven't demanded they chang anything because they keep purchasing this drivel every year. So the Call of Duty franchise will always suck because nobody demands they improve it. I give my money to developers who actually take time to be original, come out with great titles that everyone enjoys, and that aren't rinse and repeats with ever new release.

 

I think I read it either here or google+ where somebody said, "Call of Duty is just a really expensive map pack purchase." That pretty much hits the nail on the head. New places to play, same tired gameplay ever single year. 

 

And lastly, unless I'm related to them, I don't want to spend my time gaming with little kids who talk tough on their mics but whose genitals haven't fallen yet.

Message 47 of 65 (119 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Offline
14267 posts
 

Re: why all the hate on call of duty?

Oct 28, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

no, popularity doesn't always equal quality. 

 

I will simply say, Mcdonald's outsells five-star restaurants.


What about people who prefer Mcdonald's over five-star restaurants? They'd probably feel as if Mcdonald's offers more quality to them.

 

As I do actually. I hate fancy restaurants.

 

Then again if I was going to one of those kind of places I'd evade Mcdonald's still as I prefer Burger King.



Message 48 of 65 (98 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 05/24/2009
Offline
18676 posts
 

Re: why all the hate on call of duty?

[ Edited ]
Oct 28, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

no, popularity doesn't always equal quality. 

 

I will simply say, Mcdonald's outsells five-star restaurants.


What about people who prefer Mcdonald's over five-star restaurants? They'd probably feel as if Mcdonald's offers more quality to them.

 

As I do actually. I hate fancy restaurants.

 

Then again if I was going to one of those kind of places I'd evade Mcdonald's still as I prefer Burger King.


Sure, but that's an opinion, not a fact. People may enjoy Mcdonald's, but that means nothing in terms of quality. It consists of food that is of a measureable lower quality.

RE-THINK SALAD


Message 49 of 65 (95 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 04/05/2003
Offline
13294 posts
 

Re: why all the hate on call of duty?

Oct 28, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

no, popularity doesn't always equal quality. 

 

I will simply say, Mcdonald's outsells five-star restaurants.


What about people who prefer Mcdonald's over five-star restaurants? They'd probably feel as if Mcdonald's offers more quality to them.

 

As I do actually. I hate fancy restaurants.

 

Then again if I was going to one of those kind of places I'd evade Mcdonald's still as I prefer Burger King.


Sure, but that's an opinion, not a fact. People may enjoy Mcdonald's, but that means nothing in terms of quality. It consists of food that is of a measureable lower quality.


Sorry to say. almost anything is better than Mc Donalds far as food wise.

Message 50 of 65 (124 Views)
Reply
0 Likes