Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

Re: why all the hate on call of duty?

Oct 28, 2013

RokoHunter wrote:
i don't understand why everyone is hating on cod.
how can cod be a bad game,it has a huge fanbase and sells millions of copies each year (9 millions black ops 2 copies were sold).
everyone say cod sux but yet it's the most famous online game.

It's actually a guilty pleasure for me. I talk crap about it (for most of the reasons others have mentioned), but I still play it.

I skipped on the last installment (Blops 2), but I just might pick up Ghosts sometime later. I enjoy the campaigns first and foremost -- The MP is usually ruined months after release.

Hopefully Ghosts is better on PS4/Xbox One, considering they are new consoles and it should take awhile before they are hacked ::crosses fingers::

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 51 of 65 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14267 posts

Oct 28, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

no, popularity doesn't always equal quality. 

I will simply say, Mcdonald's outsells five-star restaurants.

What about people who prefer Mcdonald's over five-star restaurants? They'd probably feel as if Mcdonald's offers more quality to them.

As I do actually. I hate fancy restaurants.

Then again if I was going to one of those kind of places I'd evade Mcdonald's still as I prefer Burger King.

Sure, but that's an opinion, not a fact. People may enjoy Mcdonald's, but that means nothing in terms of quality. It consists of food that is of a measureable lower quality.

Well it's pretty much a fact that lower quality is worse, but I'd consider a meal that is about 2 inches as pretty bad. I actually went to a Gordon Ramsey owned restaurant a while back.. Expensive.. Didn't give enough, even people in the third world would have laughed at what they were serving.

It's an opinion though that quality is better than quantity. I would always go for more is better.

After going to that restaurant I know the cliche that more is less is definately a lie.

Yeah I know. Someone is gonna come in with....

THE CAKE IS A LIE.

Message 52 of 65 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3228 posts

Oct 28, 2013

You can switch out COD with Twilight and still get the same responses. Just because something makes millions doesn't mean its always good.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Youtube: Akirasolid Entertainment

Message 53 of 65 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14267 posts

Oct 28, 2013

Akirasolid wrote:

You can switch out COD with Twilight and still get the same responses. Just because something makes millions doesn't mean its always good.

What if I like Twilight...

So far the comparisons have been to things I actually like.

Message 54 of 65 (107 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Oct 28, 2013
The real big issue, at least as far as I can see it, is that CoD is made by Activision. Activision is notorious for pushing out as many iterations of the same game as they can, and only changing things like the artwork on the box each time. They did this with the Guitar Hero franchise and ran the franchise, and the genre, into the ground.

As a business, it's a smart move to get your product into the minds of everybody out there so that when someone thinks of a genre of a game, they immediately think about your product. When you talk about something like an FPS, the majority of people will immediately think "Call of Duty", even though better games are out there such as the Battlefield series. When you think of a musical rhythm genre, people will immediately think "Guitar Hero" even though a MUCH better game, Rockband, existed.

The main problem with Activision is that instead of taking the time to make improvements on their games and continuing to support their already released products, they rush to push another iteration of the series out the door in order to sell it to the brainwashed public. The public hears about a new version of the game coming out a few months after the previous iterations were released, and they immediately flock like zombies to the newer game.

So many times I read threads on this forum, and in other forums, about "cheaters" and "hackers" ruining someone's experience in a CoD game, and the game being mentioned is generally not the newest iteration. It's one or two iterations back. Do you honestly think Activision doesn't know this? They most certainly do, and they use this as a way to force people into spending their money on the latest version of the game. Once a new game is in the works, support for moderating and maintaining the servers on the old games simply ceases. They know that if the older versions of their games are filled with hackers, modders, cheaters, and the other scum of the gaming community, people will be forced to buy the new version in order to play without that garbage.

Activision is then able to make more money since they don't need to invest in the older servers, and since they don't spend a great deal of time on developing the newer versions of the game each year, they can milk that cash cow of theirs until it dies.

It's a harsh, but sad, reality with Activision. They simply do not care to ever put out a solid game. They want to spend the least development time, and the least amount of money to maintain already released games so that the general public will continue to pour their money into the coffers of Activision.
Message 55 of 65 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
396 posts

Oct 28, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

LongLiveHelghast wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

LongLiveHelghast wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

LongLiveHelghast wrote:

Because every person you play as is a generic, stupid, jarhead American soldier/marine. Who is so patriotic its unreal.

Next time, can we have someone who isn't American?

When other countries buy as many video games as the United States does, then you can have them.

Eurgh. No thanks. I've had enough of the U.S. Army, that's all.

Are you talking about the online characters, or the single player characters? Because not for nothing, the online characters really aren't nation specific. And the single player characters have been predominantly, at least in the Modern Warfare series, British. For as much as people laud the Battlefield Series, ALL of the characters are US Army Rangers or US Navy (pilots), yet nobody has a problem with that. Is it because the words "Call" and "Duty" don't appear on the cover? Again, the United States spends the most money on video games, so they are going to cater to their largest audience. When another country spends that kind of money, then they'll change. Until then, I'm going to file this under "talking points".

Single player. Online aren't as bad - they hardly say anything.

FYI: I don't like the Americans in Splinter Cell, Battlefield, Medal of Honor and Aliens: CM   

OK, take MW3 as an example. The first level, the one in New York, you're a Delta guy, and all your teammates are just saying generic military cliches, all comms are just as mass of 'Roger...'. They have NO personality, they just follow orders around like they are robots, with NO morals, just slaughtering people left right and centre, like on the GTA parody of Call of Duty 'Righteous Slaughter'

Its kind of like the US Army/Navy/Air Force in real life... just look at all the damning stuff Bradley Manning released

This is the most asinine thing I've ever read. "generic military cliche's, all comms are just a mass of "Roger..."? What do you want them to say? "Totally rad man!!!"? The military speaks in clear concise terms, so that way there's no mistaking the meaning is. You know why you "follow orders"? Because people are DEPENDING on you to follow them, and that is what gets you out ALIVE. And who else do you want to defend New York City? The Fins?

People always ask what do I mean when I say "gamer logic", well you're seeing it here in SPADES. Video games have skewed your thinking to the point where you think everything should resemble a slacker skateboard video. And Bradly Manning has nothing to do with this, so I don't think you're any smarter for mentioning him/her.

Ok ok maybe that was step too far.... the point is that I kind of want Army Dude to have a bit more personality. Fair play to Treyarch in actually having a character (Mason) who is a bit more interesting than others. IW could learn a lesson from Treyarch, because IW's playable characters are boring - they don't speak, they're like every other friendly soldier.

The dialogue shouldn't only be military terminology (a la Battlefield), the soldiers should have an occasional laugh and a joke, a bit of banter here and there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 56 of 65 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Oct 28, 2013

LongLiveHelghast wrote:

Ok ok maybe that was step too far.... the point is that I kind of want Army Dude to have a bit more personality. Fair play to Treyarch in actually having a character (Mason) who is a bit more interesting than others. IW could learn a lesson from Treyarch, because IW's playable characters are boring - they don't speak, they're like every other friendly soldier.

The dialogue shouldn't only be military terminology (a la Battlefield), the soldiers should have an occasional laugh and a joke, a bit of banter here and there.

I've taken fire. 

Using the of CoD or BF in your example, your wish is entirely unrealistic.  People under that much fire don't exactly "banter".

I'm not defending the "fun factor" of not having a more lively character in these games, but you are treading on very thin ice here.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 57 of 65 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
396 posts

Oct 28, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

LongLiveHelghast wrote:

I've taken fire. 

Using the of CoD or BF in your example, your wish is entirely unrealistic.  People under that much fire don't exactly "banter".

I'm not defending the "fun factor" of not having a more lively character in these games, but you are treading on very thin ice here.

No no, I understand they can't do that under fire, i mean while they're getting to the next objective.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 58 of 65 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Oct 28, 2013

LongLiveHelghast wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

LongLiveHelghast wrote:

I've taken fire. 

No no, I understand they can't do that under fire, i mean while they're getting to the next objective.

Okay, then, you're going to have to be a bit more specific as to what your solution is, because now you'rea talking about a context-based addition that could be controlled by a timer, or... I dunno.  Would the game engine calculate how much time has passed since the last time you were shot?  How is that even determined?

Grindhead_Jim

Message 59 of 65 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Oct 28, 2013

I am hoping with Ghost on PS4 there will be less cheating or hacks. Hopefully with the new online features that Sony is providing will help with a better enviroment to play CoD on. Ghosts supposely haves an updated engine so hopefully it is alright. I will probably get BF4 day one and see how things go with Ghost.

The community is sometimes annoying, but if we get party chat it will help.

"Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee
12th Man
Message 60 of 65 (83 Views)
0 Likes