Mar 05 2012
By: Scott5150 First Son 1 posts
Accepted Solution

why cant i view youtube or other videos on my ps vita

10 replies 2721 views Edited Mar 5, 2012

well first let me say i purchased the ps vita with high hopes of remote play and using it as a video/movie streaming system. i got the wifi one and to my disappointment i cant download netflix without a memory card youd think a $250 device would have some kinda storage system. then i go to use the remote play and to my surprise i cant play a single game i own except castlevania son oh yay lol so then i go try to watch youtube videos to see if im doing something wrong and it says i cant watch them cuz i need an adobe update and when pressed does nothing. im posting this in hopes of someone giving me tips also im taking the wifi ps vita back today to get the 3g one just for the 8gb card and the bundle $55 savings.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (2,721 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
250 posts

Re: why cant i view youtube or other videos on my ps vita

Mar 5, 2012

the 55 savings...well u get the 8gb card but the "free game" to get it you have to pay for the first month of 3g service,. (14.99 for 250mb or 29.99 for 3gb) after that you get a "free month" and your "free game" , the free game is SuperStardust Delta, which i believe is a 9.99-14.99 game. Also, the Vita doesnt have Flash or HTML5 atm so no web video play, we're hoping for a patch or a Youtube app soon.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (2,721 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
836 posts

Mar 5, 2012

Actually the game is Super Stardust Delta which is $15 and includes the $8 DLC, so its a #23 dollar free game, it only sucks that you have to wait 2-4 weeks to get it though.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (2,721 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1243 posts

Mar 5, 2012

Make sure you deactivate the vita before returning it. You can only have one paired with your PSN at a time.

Scott5150 wrote:

Well first let me say i purchased the ps vita with high hopes of remote play and using it as a video/movie streaming system. i got the wifi one and to my disappointment i cant download netflix without a memory card youd think a $250 device would have some kinda storage system. then i go to use the remote play and to my surprise i cant play a single game i own except castlevania son oh yay lol so then i go try to watch youtube videos to see if im doing something wrong and it says i cant watch them cuz i need an adobe update and when pressed does nothing. im posting this in hopes of someone giving me tips also im taking the wifi ps vita back today to get the 3g one just for the 8gb card and the bundle $55 savings.

Honestly even if not intending to sign up for a 3g plan i think the 3G Model is a better deal anyway(least till they stop including the memory card). even if you dont get a 3G subscription you'll have the option down the road, You get GPS, and right now you get an 8gb card. An 8gb card is $30 so you are essentially getting the GPS and 3G for $20.

The way i look at it though is this. The pspGo Failed in part because of Price. A Waterd down. Download only PSP that cost more then the regular unit with umd drive? Why did it cost more if it was smaller and had no umd drive? Answer: 16gb Built in storage.Not having built in storage (IMHO) is mostly about lowering the cost of the system and minimizing SKU's. Would anyone buy a PSVita if it was priced $310 and $360 respectively with 16gb built-in storage no other option? I wouldn't. But this way I have the option of how much to put out for memory.

Remote Play is nice, but Dont have the expectation that everything on your PS3 will work via it. Remote Play allows you to play DRM-Free video and audio content from your PS3, Use the PS3's PS Store, View photos, change SOME PS3 settings, And play SELECT games. Unfortunate as it is; There should be no expectation for any game on the PS3 to work via Remote Play unless that game specificall lists it in its feature set.

Adobe dropped ALL support for flash on mobile platforms at the beginning of 2011 in favor of HTML5 solutions. It is also been rumored that Flash may go the way of the Dodo altogether in favor of HTML5.

The good news is that YouTube does currently have an HTML5 player in beta now, you can opt in by going to www.youtube.com/html5 However at this time the Vita browser is not yet compatible with the full HTML5 Specifications. The silver lining here however is that while there is basically no chance of Flash coming to Vita it is only a simple matter of adding 'Video Tag', 'h.264', and 'WebM' support to the browser and we will have access to YouTube through the Vita Web Browser. (That or a YouTube app but i'd like the browser support either way)

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (2,721 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Mar 8, 2012

adobe flash player is being weird and arent agreeing with sony about putting adobe on the vita. sony is working on this and hopefully it will be resolved soon in an update.

FINGAS CROSSED!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (2,721 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11459 posts

Mar 8, 2012

LittleKitchy71 wrote:

adobe flash player is being weird and arent agreeing with sony about putting adobe on the vita. sony is working on this and hopefully it will be resolved soon in an update.

FINGAS CROSSED!!!

That's because, if you've read, Adobe is stopping support for Flash on mobile devices (If you read the update on Android phones, it says that it is the last update).

Many videos are switching to HTML5.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (2,721 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1670 posts

Mar 8, 2012

About netfilx and storage you should have before buying researched what you have bought, because you could have waisted a ton of money on something you may have not liked, maybe you did I don't know, but the first thing you had to invest into when getting the vita is a memory card higher than a 4gb. Remote play and youtube, RP was not designed out of the box to be a video game streaming machine, it can do most of what your ps3 can do except specifically designed ps3 games. And about youtube, at the moment the vita browser is useless, sony did say they are improving it so we can probably be seeing in the next FW a patch for the browser, if you want to watch youtube so badly on the vita go into RP, and use the ps3's browser.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (2,721 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Mar 9, 2012

thats what i meant to say.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (2,721 Views)
0 Likes
First Son