Keyblade Wielder
10138 posts

Re: why new generation consoles need to be able to play used games (angry rant)

Feb 15, 2013

Leviathan_502 wrote:

um no. that means they made 200 out of 200 sales.

you have weird math

Message 11 of 33 (142 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15906 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 15, 2013

Leviathan_502 wrote:

um no. that means they made 200 out of 200 sales. X anount gets traded into gamestop and they sell it 5 dollars off the new price considering its a used game. and  thats how they get thier profit. just because people are dumb enough to pay 5 dollars cheaper without paying a 10 dolar fee to play it online if it requires are idiots. which your saying if i buy a used copy and i want to pay it online i shouldnt be able to because of not paying full admission? are you the one thats uneducated thats why they are starting to use online codes to play. and to be honest alot of games dont have alot of online communities due to every one always on COD. no on the other hand there is a game that retails for 40 bucks but you can get it half off used. and if it came with everything it was supposed to like online, book, manual, ect. are you saying you would not take that used game? ive been buying new games lately due to knowing they wont price drop any more. DMC, Ni no kuni, black ops 2. but with some of my other games i want to check out and are sceptical about i vulture used games. and if you disagree then you sir are an idiot. good day.

actually.... if you ever bothered to do your research, you would know that with used games that require an online pass at the price of $10, Gamestop has always kept the price $10 lower to facilitate it. 

Also you would know that only SOME games use this online pass system....

And your math is WRONG.

when you sell a game to a retailer for store credit or cash.... THATS when developers and publishers lose their money.... the private sale of games, as in my selling a game to my friend without ever going to a store no one really has a problem with. 
The fact that there are STORES that re-sell used games to people and the publisher/developer not seeing some sort of royalty from that sale through an establishment, for 100% profit is the bigger issue....

Suffice it to say, you're the idiot here.... You are unable or unwilling to understand the BUSINESS model. 

And you're talking as if it is FACT that Sony and Microsoft will employ some system where used games are no more.
Just because a patent is issued, DOES NOT MEAN it will become reality.... there are BILLIONS of patents that have been filed.... very few have actually been implemented/employed.

If you bothered to even use Google.... theres plenty of news articles where Sony was even quoted as stating that they have no wish to alienate the used game market.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 12 of 33 (139 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Feb 15, 2013

First time post from a long, long time Sony supporter.  I see anyone complaining about the idea of no used games getting attacked as dumb, stupid, and not understanding the buisness.

This is all false and abusive to customers who have a right to peacefully disagree wtihout feeling alienated by others.

The used game industry has its ups and downs, there is no arguing either side.  But as I see it the bottom line is the consumer, and the devaluing of gaming properties. I'm going to make just a few points as I see them. 

First off, used games do not hurt the companies making the games, no more than a used or rented movie hurts the movie industry.  Its a buisness fallacy that its being embraced with a suprising fierceness.   Used games keep the developers honest.  If their game sucks, or was made to low quality standards, then the market responds by selling off their games, and new buyers dont get ripped off having to bite the entire cost of a new game, when it didn't deserve it.  First time buyers can gain some measure of recompensation as well.  People dont get rid of great games under normal circumstances.

Secondly, it keeps the system alive well past when the system and the games are no longer being manufactured, as anyone who is a fan of retro gaming can attest to.  It also gives good games that, for whatever reason, failed in sales, an opportunity to gain a cult following and even a resurgance in interest, which can give the developers new opportunities because the "buzz" is getting out.  If a game fails in a world with no used games, perhaps the production is cut short, and people who bought the game just toss it when they are done with it, perhaps it was marketed to the wrong crowd? And at that point, the game is DEAD FOREVER.

Thirdly, is the idea that your purchases have no value.  It used to be, a video game system and its games was an investment for a gamer, and for various reasons, many people have to lose a little bit of money in order to sell their system and recomp some of their investment.  I personally think stripping the buyer of any value for his/her purchase is wrong.  You guys really think its good for the industry for game developers to have the confidence that once you buy their game, you're stuck with it, no market feedback, at least not at the level it currently is?  You guys are comfortable paying full price for a game, and being stuck with it forever, except for tossing it in the trash, regardless of how poor quality the game is?

Fourthly, and my last point, is the number game.  Lets use a simple and obviously undersized number like 100.  If a developer prints up 100 copies, they sell 100 copies and get that money.  If they do not print more, or do not have their stock in the right areas at the right times, thats on them.  But if someone doesn't like their game, and sells it to someone else at a discount, the game company has not lost any money, no extra game was made and sold.  In fact, they have a better chance at gaining a fan because maybe theyll like the game more than the OG buyer, and continue to buy more products from the developer.  And the gamer who sold their game will be far less likely to feel "burnt" by the company, and is more likely to be a little forgiving and give the developer another shot later.  And the clogging up the server thing really bugged me too, what an illogical way to think.  If 100 games are sold, the developer should have server space for 100 players.  If 50 people who bought the game sold it, and others bought it, the owners of the used copies just take the same slot as the og buyer, there can never be a "clogging up" of servers unless someone is printing up fake copies of a game and that is how more users that expected are on servers.

To finish my post up, Sony has officially announced that the PS4 will play used games, so apparently  the guys in charge agree with my way of thinking.

Message 13 of 33 (126 Views)
Gaming Beast
2121 posts

Feb 15, 2013
If they have rentals to download for $2.99 for 1 day then I am OK with that. My video store charges $4.99 for 3 days so ibuyabout the same. Also we can try before we buy.
I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 14 of 33 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Feb 15, 2013

Sumo-Cant-Dance wrote:

First time post from a long, long time Sony supporter.  I see anyone complaining about the idea of no used games getting attacked as dumb, stupid, and not understanding the buisness.

This is all false and abusive to customers who have a right to peacefully disagree wtihout feeling alienated by others.

The used game industry has its ups and downs, there is no arguing either side.  But as I see it the bottom line is the consumer, and the devaluing of gaming properties. I'm going to make just a few points as I see them. 

First off, used games do not hurt the companies making the games, no more than a used or rented movie hurts the movie industry.  Its a buisness fallacy that its being embraced with a suprising fierceness.   Used games keep the developers honest.  If their game sucks, or was made to low quality standards, then the market responds by selling off their games, and new buyers dont get ripped off having to bite the entire cost of a new game, when it didn't deserve it.  First time buyers can gain some measure of recompensation as well.  People dont get rid of great games under normal circumstances.

Secondly, it keeps the system alive well past when the system and the games are no longer being manufactured, as anyone who is a fan of retro gaming can attest to.  It also gives good games that, for whatever reason, failed in sales, an opportunity to gain a cult following and even a resurgance in interest, which can give the developers new opportunities because the "buzz" is getting out.  If a game fails in a world with no used games, perhaps the production is cut short, and people who bought the game just toss it when they are done with it, perhaps it was marketed to the wrong crowd? And at that point, the game is DEAD FOREVER.

Thirdly, is the idea that your purchases have no value.  It used to be, a video game system and its games was an investment for a gamer, and for various reasons, many people have to lose a little bit of money in order to sell their system and recomp some of their investment.  I personally think stripping the buyer of any value for his/her purchase is wrong.  You guys really think its good for the industry for game developers to have the confidence that once you buy their game, you're stuck with it, no market feedback, at least not at the level it currently is?  You guys are comfortable paying full price for a game, and being stuck with it forever, except for tossing it in the trash, regardless of how poor quality the game is?

Fourthly, and my last point, is the number game.  Lets use a simple and obviously undersized number like 100.  If a developer prints up 100 copies, they sell 100 copies and get that money.  If they do not print more, or do not have their stock in the right areas at the right times, thats on them.  But if someone doesn't like their game, and sells it to someone else at a discount, the game company has not lost any money, no extra game was made and sold.  In fact, they have a better chance at gaining a fan because maybe theyll like the game more than the OG buyer, and continue to buy more products from the developer.  And the gamer who sold their game will be far less likely to feel "burnt" by the company, and is more likely to be a little forgiving and give the developer another shot later.  And the clogging up the server thing really bugged me too, what an illogical way to think.  If 100 games are sold, the developer should have server space for 100 players.  If 50 people who bought the game sold it, and others bought it, the owners of the used copies just take the same slot as the og buyer, there can never be a "clogging up" of servers unless someone is printing up fake copies of a game and that is how more users that expected are on servers.

To finish my post up, Sony has officially announced that the PS4 will play used games, so apparently  the guys in charge agree with my way of thinking.

I'll straight out tell you you're completely wrong. Rented movies are a completely different subject. Stores that rent out movies have license agreements with studios to rent out their movies. Rental stores pay royalties to rent out those movies so the studios and actors get paid. You can't just simply open up a movie shop, order 5 movies, pay $25 per movie, rent it out for $4-5 to 50 customers, then resurface the disk and sell it used the next month for $15 and make yourself a good profit, no, they paid royalties to the studio so that revenue/profit is cut in half and both sides make money. When Gamestop buys a used game for $15, and sells it for $45+ they're getting every single dollar of profit off of that sale for themselves, no cut for the publishers or developers. When someone goes into the store looking to pick up a game and buys it used instead they're giving money to Gamestop, the people that are basically stealing money from the publishers and developers keeping their stores open in the first place.

Your second point is also wrong. We're in a world where digital is becoming the main source of content. Through this method you're scratching manufacturing out of the equation, and allowing a games life to last well beyond what it would if it was only available on a physical disc. At the same time you're cutting the cost of brand new games down to the price people are paying for used games and allowing for so much more opportunity with programs like Playstation Plus. It offers extra discounts and free games which boost sales numbers, gives free advertisement for developers with a low budgest, and simply give failing games a way to make a comeback so that the developers have an extra fighting chance at making it in this tight market.

When prices drop to a comfortable price range that won't be an issue. PC gamers have been stuck with their purchases for years. You're talking as if this is all something new that hasn't been done before. It's been going on for the longest, PC Gaming is on the rise and the prices these PC gamers pay for their games makes the prices console gamers pay look ridiculous. It's already successful and you can't argue that. You also mentioned gaming being an investment but then talk about people not being able to make their money back. The money invested into a game isn't like investing in a company. You invest in a game with the expectation it is gonna give you hours of entertainment, you don't invest in gaming with the expectation of making a profit off of the game. Once you make your purchase at the store the value of your game drops by $5-10 dollars, it's a completely different method of investment.

That's the incorrect way to look at it. Let me explain how these things work. A developers prints 100 copies, they sell 100 copies, someone else wants to buy the game, they make 100 more copies, more people buy those 100 copies, they make more copies, more people buy them. That my friend is how business works, that's how a company profits. The more they sell, the more revenue they get, the more revenue the higher the chance of making more profit. If the developers aren't making enough money because you're selling your games to someone else because you made a "bad" investment how are the developers supposed to make a second game for the person who enjoyed their game and the person that was disappointed and supposedly wants to give them a second chance. Your perspective on this entire subject is waaayyy off. You'll never run a successful business, so please don't make that "investment".

Message 15 of 33 (120 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Feb 15, 2013

Leviathan_502 wrote:

um no. that means they made 200 out of 200 sales. X anount gets traded into gamestop and they sell it 5 dollars off the new price considering its a used game. and  thats how they get thier profit. just because people are dumb enough to pay 5 dollars cheaper without paying a 10 dolar fee to play it online if it requires are idiots.

But.....the math...

Message 16 of 33 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2550 posts

Feb 15, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

TornadicInferno wrote:

buying used is a lot cheaper.  just takes patience.  i got madden 11 for 5 bucks. now im not good at math but i know 5 bucks is a lot cheaper than 60.  so i had to wait a year or two. oh well,  its still football, right?  especially with the madden series i refuse to spend 60 bucks every year just to buy a game with the new year on it.  i rarely buy new games.  and its not the price issue.  i just have plenty of games i need to finish. and i figure, with the ps4 coming out soon, that means ps3 games SHOULD be cheaper.

You got a THREE YEAR OLD game for five dollars. The servers have been shut down, and there's no longer any roster updates. Is that really a "bargain"?  Sounds like they squeezed five dollars out of you by selling you a game they otherwse couldn't GIVE away. I could probably get 8 tracks at a yard sale, does that mean they're a "bargain", or that I'm "saving money"?

It IS a price issue, and as I've stated before by not shopping around you are just costing yourself money.

so? i dont care how old it is. i dont care about roster updates. or playing online.  call me old fashioned but i still like single player games too.  and its not a price issue for me because i just brought home need for speed most wanted and that was a 60 dollar game. so no, its not am issue for me.

Message 17 of 33 (108 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15906 posts

Feb 16, 2013

TornadicInferno wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

TornadicInferno wrote:

buying used is a lot cheaper.  just takes patience.  i got madden 11 for 5 bucks. now im not good at math but i know 5 bucks is a lot cheaper than 60.  so i had to wait a year or two. oh well,  its still football, right?  especially with the madden series i refuse to spend 60 bucks every year just to buy a game with the new year on it.  i rarely buy new games.  and its not the price issue.  i just have plenty of games i need to finish. and i figure, with the ps4 coming out soon, that means ps3 games SHOULD be cheaper.

You got a THREE YEAR OLD game for five dollars. The servers have been shut down, and there's no longer any roster updates. Is that really a "bargain"?  Sounds like they squeezed five dollars out of you by selling you a game they otherwse couldn't GIVE away. I could probably get 8 tracks at a yard sale, does that mean they're a "bargain", or that I'm "saving money"?

It IS a price issue, and as I've stated before by not shopping around you are just costing yourself money.

so? i dont care how old it is. i dont care about roster updates. or playing online.  call me old fashioned but i still like single player games too.  and its not a price issue for me because i just brought home need for speed most wanted and that was a 60 dollar game. so no, its not am issue for me.

Contrary to what you may think.... games with online components have a shelf life of about 2 years when it comes to things that you mention.

If you want the latest roster... buy the newest NFL game and you'll have the roster updates for at least 2 years.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 18 of 33 (105 Views)
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Feb 16, 2013

Message 19 of 33 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Feb 16, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong but its the Promo codes that they want to charge you if you buy that particular game that offered the code?
Message 20 of 33 (102 Views)
0 Likes