Welcoming Committee
5955 posts

Re: 4 days but nothing has changed

[ Edited ]
Dec 19, 2013

Regine__ wrote:

Black_MagicWoman wrote:
I've heard that Mods are invisible now supposedly because it helps them do their job more effectively. Whether or not that's  true I couldn't say.

One could say the reason you've haven't run into a Mod could because you haven't done anything to warrant their attention.

One could also say It's propaganda. That there is only one person like the "Wizard of Oz" wearing the hats of many.

Regardless what one believes the bottom line is who's going to pay for this new Police Force?

Sony? You, me and other Home users? Even training MVP's like you've suggested I would think some sort of compensation would be expected.

Most folks expect payment for services rendered.

I do agree that Visible Moderation would be a nice thing to have back on Home again. I just don't see it happening.

When are current report system is deemed by some to be just as effective and of course no added cost to Sony.Woman Happy

The MVP program is %100 voluntarily. A Home Police Force should be too. A police training should be nothing more then learning how to uphold the ToS, how to watch and recognize specific violations, and how to act/re-act when a violation has been detected.

Think of it as an extension of a mod's hands. From what I understood, MVPs receive every item free of charge, to use for commercial events.

A "Home Police Officer" could receive a few free items for free as a volunteer compensation.

It can also be fun, cause as an officer you'll be wearing a "Home Police costume", that no one else can.

I say MVPs, but it doesn't necessarily have to be, Joanna. It can also be a new separate undependable program. But I'm afraid as some other posters have said that something like this is very unlikely. I'm afraid that we have to get used that Home will be offline for a longer period of time, and more times after each other too. Woman Indifferent  

Shall we also have an Internal Affairs Department like the police have that go after crooked cops?

I have no doubt in my mind that favoritism to some degree would be a factor with the New Police Force especially if incentives are involved.

Unless the people chosen have nothing to gain other than completing their task dealing with those that break the rules I rather doubt very much is going to change on Home.Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 51 of 57 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 19, 2013

Regine__ wrote:
MVPs receive every item free of charge, to use for commercial events.

No MVP's receive very few items free of charge. I have no idea who's telling you this but it's false. 

Message 52 of 57 (228 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

Dec 19, 2013

Un0-0n3unique uttered:

Well... I think Sony could hire security at home or maybe MVP get to be a security they can banned the person kick the person anything that the mods have even read the DNS address & changed it back to normal Smiley Happy

:^/ That's a common misconception. There is no "normal" DNS address. Each Internet Service Provider (ISP) uses its own Domain Name Servers (DNS). Sony cannot know what each user's DNS address is supposed to be, so it is configurable, instead. Consider also that if there were only one DNS to use, Sony would have hard coded it into the PS3's firmware, and there would have been no opportunity for the user to change it in the first place.

On the matter of increased, visible, moderation in Home, I understand the appeal to having paid staff to monitor everything that happens, and stepping in to stop errant behavior as soon as it starts. Think of the lifeguard at a swimming pool. He sees all, pro-actively, and takes action immediately, shouting at runners to walk, no jumping in over the side, no shoving, etc.

The trouble with having that in Home is in the ratios. There can never be enough paid moderators to monitor everything the free users experience. -think of one lifeguard trying to watch ten thousand swimmers, instead of a hundred- Instead, the system is utterly dependent upon the report system. Every user can report what he feels is inappropriate, and the moderators review the data given them before deciding which reaction is appropriate. There just isn't the budget for a free service to do it any other way.

So, the idea comes up every now and then to supplement the paid moderation staff with volunteers from the multitude of Home users. Sometimes noble souls genuinely want to help improve the Home experience for all, and create their own clubs around that theme, and announce them here on the boards. Many remember seeing that over the years. However, such groups do not endure, perhaps only because they cannot find enough like-minded regulars to keep their rosters filled. The appeal fades when they are rejected by the populace as wannabes, and members drop out about as frequently as they join.

Also, sometimes the groups just want to be something special, instead of doing something special. They adopt the cloak of altruism for show, while all they really want are to be a bigger big shot group than their rival big shot groups. Think of Fams, here.

:^/ As for a hybrid group of honest volunteers with Sony's official backing, that concept is not without precedent. Many fire departments consist of volunteers. These altruistic souls are highly trained to become effective at what they do, and such departments have saved countless lives over the centuries. So, maybe such a thing isn't un-feasible. But, how effective could it be?

For such a group to be more effective than the current setup of users submitting reports, the members would have to share some of the moderators' authority and abilities. Deputy Moderators, if you will. But let us not forget what the comic books have taught us over the generations: "With great power, comes great responsibility." To keep the power to ban a user, to immobilize a user in place, to send him to his Harbor Studio and so on out of the hands of bullies, the Deputy Moderator program would require some serious vetting. There would have to be applications, personality tests, interviews, and so on. And this would have to be done by paid staff. So, the imagined savings in expense wouldn't actually be as great as first thought.

And what stops such approved volunteers from becoming corrupt over the months and years that follow? Paid staff in the same room as management can be guided and monitored much more effectively than online volunteers on the opposite side of the Internet from their supervisors. And what happens when a user claims that a Deputy Moderator acted against him unfairly? How is that investigated, and resolved?

:^/ Then there's the matter of an end-user's console being given protocols and commands that let him use such abilities, no matter how justly. If hackers can sniff IP addresses and so on in Home now, and mimic wardrobe in Home now, they could soon learn to mimic a Deputy Moderator's abilities, as easily as his wardrobe.

So, as much appeal as there may be to such groups, I'm certain that it just isn't feasible, for practical reasons.

Message 53 of 57 (202 Views)
VP of Gaming
28379 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 19, 2013

This current discussion is moot as it had been explained a few times before that Home will never have Volunteer Moderators running around. Having such abilities can be abused. Besides that, many people in the Home community would be up in arms to have a "normal" user granted such power (as it is).

Many people had expressed that they did not care for the Home Community Volunteers. Do we really think they'd be any happier knowing that Home had a Volunteer Moderator Program  made up of members of the community such as you and I?

I personally wouldn't reject such a group. But many would. And this forum would be filled with numerous complaints about the group, even if the Volunteer Moderators were fair and never were abusive and always acted within the Terms of Service and their own Volunteer Guidelines. Such complaints, in this case, would be based on perceived and imagined abuses and the idea that no normal user should be in such a position of authority.

But as pointed out, we had already been told no several times throughout the years in this forum.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 54 of 57 (196 Views)
Welcoming Committee
5955 posts

Dec 19, 2013

Exactly!Woman Happy

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=[/IMG]
Message 55 of 57 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
412 posts

Dec 19, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Regine__ wrote:
MVPs receive every item free of charge, to use for commercial events.

No MVP's receive very few items free of charge. I have no idea who's telling you this but it's false. 

Actually a colleague of yours told me that time, but apparently either I misunderstood what he said, or his information was incorrect.

Message 56 of 57 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
412 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 19, 2013

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

Regine__ wrote:

Black_MagicWoman wrote:
I've heard that Mods are invisible now supposedly because it helps them do their job more effectively. Whether or not that's  true I couldn't say.

One could say the reason you've haven't run into a Mod could because you haven't done anything to warrant their attention.

One could also say It's propaganda. That there is only one person like the "Wizard of Oz" wearing the hats of many.

Regardless what one believes the bottom line is who's going to pay for this new Police Force?

Sony? You, me and other Home users? Even training MVP's like you've suggested I would think some sort of compensation would be expected.

Most folks expect payment for services rendered.

I do agree that Visible Moderation would be a nice thing to have back on Home again. I just don't see it happening.

When are current report system is deemed by some to be just as effective and of course no added cost to Sony.Woman Happy

The MVP program is %100 voluntarily. A Home Police Force should be too. A police training should be nothing more then learning how to uphold the ToS, how to watch and recognize specific violations, and how to act/re-act when a violation has been detected.

Think of it as an extension of a mod's hands. From what I understood, MVPs receive every item free of charge, to use for commercial events.

A "Home Police Officer" could receive a few free items for free as a volunteer compensation.

It can also be fun, cause as an officer you'll be wearing a "Home Police costume", that no one else can.

I say MVPs, but it doesn't necessarily have to be, Joanna. It can also be a new separate undependable program. But I'm afraid as some other posters have said that something like this is very unlikely. I'm afraid that we have to get used that Home will be offline for a longer period of time, and more times after each other too. Woman Indifferent  

Shall we also have an Internal Affairs Department like the police have that go after crooked cops?

I have no doubt in my mind that favoritism to some degree would be a factor with the New Police Force especially if incentives are involved.

Unless the people chosen have nothing to gain other than completing their task dealing with those that break the rules I rather doubt very much is going to change on Home.Woman Happy

When a Home officer would do something wrong, He or she would have to answer to the Moderator that he or she works for. Don't you think that police officers in real life do not make any "mistakes"? Or the mods themselves both on the forums and Home?

The same would aply for acts of "favoritism". 

Edit: Thread has run its course, will now be locked

Message 57 of 57 (137 Views)
0 Likes