Congratz, MVP Guides. Proud of you guys for doing what you do.Smiley Tongue

Thank you.

Message 291 of 599 (324 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
4738 posts

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HCVs --> MVPs!

Mar 13, 2013

I'll let McNoob, PP and any other legacy MVPs step up and express themselves freely.  Genuinely and honestly, I fully encourage that all MVPs be truthful in their expressed opinions.  Legally, I'm required to.  I would anyway, though, it's what I believe in and stand for.

I'll jump in and touch on a few questions/comments posted over the night, though.

BRIT-KO wrote:

king_of_games30 wrote:
All HCV's had to go through an application process before being integrated into the MVP program. Some chose not to apply while others agreed.

Was it the exact same process as if someone (non HCV) were to apply for MVP?

BRIT-KO

It was more strict.  There was greater scrutiny and deeper research afforded to the inclusion of ALL current members than what either had experienced previously.

the_original_se wrote:

how is the program not about the forums?

sure some of you may help out with online game events like shooters and such, but aside from that everything else is about the forums, is it not?

Previously the folks managing the MVP program saw the boundaries of their influence end with the Forums.  Our boundaries extend to the whole of SCEA.  As such the reach of the MVP program is now greater than the forums.  They currently have event listings on the playstation.com event calendar, they recieve mentions in PlayStation blog posts, and they have a large array of other activities they have been involved in over the past months.  Their opportunities will increase in the future, as well, as the next generation of gaming approaches.

This is not simply about helping out around the forums anymore.  This is a new program, with a much wider reach.  

bookepride wrote:
To be honest, I think the only good thing to be an MVP is probably just the MVP title. Not to show off, but to tell others (mostly people that need help and know you have somewhat of a title) and they can come to you in a way and ask for more help or direct them to a Moderator or such. The only place they can really go that's special is their private forum board. That's about it. The HCV one was pretty dead when I was in. I'm sure the old MVP one was probably more alive since it was more of a forum thing. If they really want to make bang with this new redesigned program, then put it on the PlayStation Network website. Tempest did say it's just not a forum program, but now a PSN program also.

Another good thing of the MVP program is to have your imprint on the PlayStation brand.  Feedback from this group, to various parts of the business, is key.  This process is in play now, and will continue to be a core aspect of what the program offers. Their ability to represent the community (forums or otherwise) is a very impactful piece of the puzzle.  While forum presence is key, it is not the only thing this program now offers.

Also, don't be shocked when you see a more public roll out in time.  These two groups lived primarily on the forums.  And while their reach is extended, we still recognize their roots.  As such, this channel (the forums) is where the announcement begins.  You deserve that.

Again, I'm going to let some of the legacy MVPs speak their minds.  I hope you can trust that PlayStation can only benefit from a group of passionate gamers with the freedom to speak their minds.  Stiffling conversatoin will only lead to resentment, turning a fan into a hater.  It's ok to not like certain games, or the $50 for $10 deal.  In fact we depend on that feedback.  So please, trust these guys when they say that the two groups are actually working together fairly well, and have been for some time.  Smooth as silk the whole way?  No, and I'd be freaked out if it were.  But at their core, these are gamers.  They don't all play the same genres, but they all understand passion for your pass time.  Foilks have been very mature in seeing that.

Tempest_Fire
Ex-PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Interactive Entertainment America
Message 292 of 599 (320 Views)
Survivor
1454 posts

Mar 13, 2013

Well I'm just humbled to be able to to have the honor of posting in the same thread as all these super important people.  Smiley Indifferent

Posted Image
Message 293 of 599 (309 Views)
Fender Bender
2651 posts

Mar 13, 2013

Digitman3 wrote:

Well I'm just humbled to be able to to have the honor of posting in the same thread as all these super important peopleSmiley Indifferent

Wouldn't that make it the SIP program?

This is all becoming so confusing.

castle3
Message 294 of 599 (296 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 13, 2013

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Again, I'm going to let some of the legacy MVPs speak their minds. 

I do believe there would be a lot less resistance and controversy in the community if the new program were able to have debuted under a new name.

Using the legacy MVP program, in my view, isn't being well received by some because the MVP program did have a certain meaning to many in the community including many of us so called "legacy MVP's".

I'd be less than truthful if I said I was happy with the name used for it's introduction. If the Legacy MVP program was to be retired then the name should have been as well. I understand why it's being done but be that as it may it was not the optimal way to have done this. 

Message 295 of 599 (264 Views)
MVP Support
40094 posts

Mar 13, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Tempest_Fire wrote:

I do believe there would be a lot less resistance and controversy in the community if the new program were able to have debuted under a new name.

Using the legacy MVP program, in my view, isn't being well received by some because the MVP program did have a certain meaning to many in the community including many of us so called "legacy MVP's".

I'd be less than truthful if I said I was happy with the name used for it's introduction. If the Legacy MVP program was to be retired then the name should have been as well. I understand why it's being done but be that as it may it was not the optimal way to have done this. 

I said exactly this a few posts back, Joanna has actually said something I agree with.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 296 of 599 (225 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
4738 posts

Mar 13, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Tempest_Fire wrote:

I said exactly this a few posts back, Joanna has actually said something I agree with.

BRIT-KO

I don't disagree.  There were unavoidable reasons for this.

Tempest_Fire
Ex-PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Interactive Entertainment America
Message 297 of 599 (215 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1311 posts

Mar 13, 2013

Representing placement of a strategic move to help, they should have name them:

GUPPIES (for short)

Guided Users Playstation Program Interactive Experience Support.

Seriously, I hope whatever they call them, privileges are not over extended or abused.

The only discipline would be removal or banned, damage could be irreparable for a low cost solution as this.

Message 298 of 599 (178 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Mar 13, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

Tempest_Fire wrote:

BRIT-KO

i concure.

they should have done PlayStation Elite or something.

perhaps APP, the Awesome PlayStation People. Smiley Tongue

Message 299 of 599 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Platinum
55190 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 13, 2013

Tempest_Fire wrote:

I'll let McNoob, PP and any other legacy MVPs step up and express themselves freely.  Genuinely and honestly, I fully encourage that all MVPs be truthful in their expressed opinions.  Legally, I'm required to.  I would anyway, though, it's what I believe in and stand for.

Let me bring over my question from the MVP board and then add a few things after

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

I've had 2 people PM me asking me to put input into the debate they are trying to have on the transition.

I'm making this thread because I'm not really sure what the big deal is about the shift in the first place?   Do the other MVP's feel like HCV's becoming MVPs was a big deal?   I thought it was kind of cool myself, consolodate us and at the same time make us appear to have a larger presence on the forums.

So if you are an MVP or an HCV and you aren't happy about the swtich could you just tell me why, I'm curious.

We have had an interesting small discussion about it but, as you can see, my opinion is that it was a good/smart/proper move.   

I do understand how some MVPs might have the "What the heck, I'm an MVP, we have certain standards and things required of us and now they just get it out of no where...will they have to do X, Y and Z too."    I totally understand that mindset I just don't share it.   When I was younger I would have fallen into that type of concern but as I've aged I more care about my own personal actions and have more and more of a "live and let live" attitude.

I think it just makes the whole "recognized helpful posters" aspect of the forums more powerful now that we are consolidated, its like we doubled the size of our MVP minion pool Smiley Tongue.   

I also saw some comments in here about the "Important" or "Cool" people thread.   This type of comment doesn't fly with me.  I've been known, and I'm sure some of you can back me up, to say that me having a "special colored name, rank, and icon makes me no better or worse than anyone else on these forums, it just means Sony noticed my posting addiction and generally helpful nature"  (ok that might be a paraphrase). 

My advice to those who are upset is as follows.  Take a few steps back, try standing in the shoes of those who are not you, and re-examine what exactly is making you upset.  Now is that something truly worth being upset about?  

If your answer to that question is still yes, please feel free to share your thoughts with me and I'll be happy to provide my feedback.

EDIT:  Also we should NOT change the name of the program Smiley Tongue  (I like shovelling sand against the tide Tempest Smiley Tongue)

Message 300 of 599 (144 Views)