Survivor
2039 posts

Re: Are We Beta Testers?

Apr 23, 2013
Home is not a Cash cow for Sony or the Playstation brand, in general?

Wow. You guys must really believe that theres only just a handful of users on Home at any given time, and only a small percentage of those few actually spend money on Home....

IDK how you can say this and expect to be taken seriously. Where's your proof of such a claim?

As I already stated, you cant prove the numbers cuz Sony wont release that info to the public....so what exactly are you basing your claims on?

I for one spend on average about $100.00 a month JUST ON HOME items alone. And I've been doing this for the past 4 years now...so you can imagine how it all adds up over time. My account is estimated to be around $3,000.00 - And again, im just ONE person.

If Home makes THAT much off of ME alone, just imagine how much it makes off of 10 people, 20, 50, 1,000 and so on.

It would be lovely to sit here and pretend that I share Home with a handful of people, who dont spend money on virtual items...but I dont live in that fantasy land, sir.
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 21 of 66 (278 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:
Home is not a Cash cow for Sony or the Playstation brand, in general?

Correct.

This can be indirectly deduced by the lack of advertisements from sponsors and promotions from AAA studios. A few of them have made off the cuff remarks about the small user base (<25,000).

What was the last sponsor before zit cream (obviously aimed at teenagers)? Universal's sophomoric Ted? That was nine months ago...

It's third party content creators who are keeping Home alive, and they aren't making a huge profit.

Shadow-Runner wrote:

I for one spend on average about $100.00 a month JUST ON HOME items alone. And I've been doing this for the past 4 years now...so you can imagine how it all adds up over time. My account is estimated to be around $3,000.00 - And again, im just ONE person.

If Home makes THAT much off of ME alone, just imagine how much it makes off of 10 people, 20, 50, 1,000 and so on.

You're a minority. Yes, there are people like you, but it's abnormal. I'm not being critical of your spending habits, but you seem to be focusing on the trees, not the forest. The average PS3 owner would be startled at how much you've spent on Home.

It's far more profitable to collect $2 from 100,000 people than $100 from 200 people. This is one of several reasons why Sony is moving to integrated social games on the PS4 rather than designing a new virtual world.

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 22 of 66 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2879 posts

Apr 23, 2013

If there is no home on PS4, there is no reason for me to own one

Thanks Asuka424 for the Signature
Message 23 of 66 (253 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1232 posts

Apr 23, 2013

smokingpistol wrote:
Or are we still?
I hardly hear the 'Beta' word mentioned much anymore. Thoughts?

I find the words "Guinea Pigs" more appropriate.....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 24 of 66 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Apr 23, 2013

StardustChampion wrote:

You're a minority. Yes, there are people like you, but it's abnormal. I'm not being critical of your spending habits, but you seem to be focusing on the trees, not the forest. The average PS3 owner would be startled at how much you've spent on Home.

It's far more profitable to collect $2 from 100,000 people than $100 from 200 people. This is one of several reasons why Sony is moving to integrated social games on the PS4 rather than designing a new virtual world.

Your thesis statements on Sony and Home I have read on more than one occasion and I quietly laugh because your conclusions were often wrong, Stardust. You use big words just to be a sesquipedalian. Let me use a small word that fits you better. Glib "often thoughtless''. You're just here for argument sake from our point of view. Rarely posting to bring the community together but more frequently to tear down and disrupt threads. To get under peoples skin. Truely sad.

I honestly do not understand people like you. Is this really you? Are you on a alternate account just for this reason? More importantly are you like this in life? Is everything a argument for you? Is there any type of nice person in your heart or head? If so I (and probably a bunch others here) Would really like to know. How about we meet up in Home with mics and talk this out. You up for that?

HomeStationMagazine
Message 25 of 66 (232 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

I honestly do not understand people like you.

That's the one part of your response which is accurate.

If you have a problem with me, please keep it to private messages rather than straying off topic.

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Message 26 of 66 (206 Views)
Fender Bender
1747 posts

Apr 23, 2013

*checks Home loading screen before splashscreens appear* - Yep, still says beta on the logo, pistol. Smiley Wink

If I compare the SDLC (system development life cycle) of this product compared to other systems I'm more familiar with, I have to say that this QA phase seems waaaay longer than I expected. I've never known of a beta to go this long before. Yes, things are constantly being introduced or taken away, which MAY or MAY NOT break what currently in the test environment... and you need a good sample of subjects/testers/"guinea pigs" to find out a number of things (if the product works, if it broke anything or cause any other anomalies in the environment, overall system stability, etc.). IF this truly IS a testing ground for the PS4 - may the devs and Sony learn from our feedback what does and does not work through every means imaginable (assorted Forums, twitter, fb, PMs, etc).

Message 27 of 66 (190 Views)
VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Apr 23, 2013

tl:dr

but anyone who says we are beta testers and that Home is actually still in Beta should be slapped.

Message 28 of 66 (179 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
871 posts

Apr 23, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

but anyone who says we are beta testers and that Home is actually still in Beta should be slapped.

And yet Home is not supported by Sony customer service and instead is handled by posting on a forum. I've never heard of any other product or service which handles support this way. Of course, I don't get out much. Smiley Tongue

"...All life is transitory, a dream. We all come together in the same place, at the end of time. If I don't see you again here, I will see you, in a little while, in a place where no shadows fall." -Delenn, Babylon 5

Home-Brainiac-Winner-Ren_Echo.gif

Message 29 of 66 (159 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Apr 23, 2013

Ren_Echo wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

And yet Home is not supported by Sony customer service and instead is handled by posting on a forum. I've never heard of any other product or service which handles support this way. Of course, I don't get out much. Smiley Tongue

Sony customer service and support is primarily for PlayStation systems and the Sony Entertainment Network.

Home is handeled like anything else under those categories, just like games for example. if you call Sony regarding an issue with a game, they will direct you to these forums too.

Message 30 of 66 (153 Views)
0 Likes