Highlighted
Jun 23 2009
By: Cmathi Survivor 2537 posts

Censors going overboard

383 replies 163 views Edited Jun 23, 2009

Since this post has gotten a little lengthy for those of u who dont like reading, and for those of you who think this is all complaints about home heres a few topicswe have discussed, optional censors in our own personal spaces, seperate filters for seperate ages, the ability to "turn off" the censors, the ability to have different levels of censoring (Ex: PG-13 censors or R censors), spaces/play pens for seperate ages, and the ability to see what others see if our text is censored...

Updated 05/31 (clarifying intentions): However since there was a thread in which only specific words were fixed now this is for any new words that slipped through cracks of that thread. This is also for Discussing a toggle switch, or other possible censorship freedoms towards adults

Original Post: I know 13 yr olds can play now but I think the censors r going a little overboard, last night ppl were walking up to me saying ****o so Im thinking wats wrong with these ppl. But then I realized hell in hello was being censored... Here's a few examples of words meth in so****ing  christ in ******mas... And some guy was talking about cooking and he says u have to put it in the crock*** and **** it for 8 hrs. Its like were playin mad libs or so****ing.

GRDNANGL172 wrote:
Yeah absolutely ridiculous. As well if you try to post messages on the bulletin board in the clubs it accuses you of trying to put up a phone number or other similar 7 digit number even if you have no numbers in the message. You can hardly post messages on the board at all it is so bad. Sony needs to realize by going overboard that that are really making it into an overly frustrating experience for people who enjoy being on Home. There is no way to censor what people say over a mic in other games, so obviously offensive content is already on PSN through mic conversatio. You can turn off the censors and ban the people who don't obey the rules. Simple. Besides there are creative ways of getting around the censors anyway by simply mis spelling the chosen word slightly. So this is clearly doing more harm than good.

Dead_Air Wrote:

how do you think parents would respond when they walk past their son playing in Home and all they see is a bunch of censored chat boxes when really the words are completely innocent?

Another topic we have suggested was for A toggle For all of those 17 or 18 and up to turn off the censors

And that I think we should be able to see the words we type as they would appear to someone else, that would lessen the confusion cuz the person would know if they would need to rephrase what they have said rather than continueing with their conversation leaving everyone lost.

the it censor.. Im told that I should add that u can pay attention to ur own words if u know it might be censored for instance: u cant say it after any word that ends with a t

At one point it was so bad I couldn't even say my name

The Dreaded List Of Bad Words:

My friend was telling me about the ******** between logs in a cabin (**bleep**ing )

****o... (hello, fixed)

I would like to add "hurry if you want to ******he game!"... (joint fixed)

I wanna ask u guys so****ing (something fixed)

want some g****s? (the word is grape) fixed

put it in the crock*** and **** it for 8 hrs... (pot, and cook) fixed

Does anybody like to play Need For S***d... (pee is censored) fixed

I wanna buy new s****... (the word is shoes) fixed

srry I cant go to the mall because I have to sham***... (poo LOL) fixed

I though*****was gonna be a strike... I thought it was gonna be a strike (two parts of a word were seperated by a space-- t it fixed

this whole thing is ri***ulous...... (dic lol) fixed

"LittleBIGPlanet i****cellent".... (sex?) fixed

***** saves... (they censor jesus) fixed

MERRY ******MAS to everybody on the forums.... my real name is ******ian (they censor christ in christmas and in christian) fixed

Someone has lost thier happy *****.... (pills is blocked) fixed
I was the ***** in that game...(loser) fixed
this is ****... (Crap) fixed
OMG DID U JUST ****... (fart) fixed
Hey u wanna check out my ******** ... (trophies?) fixed

"You jus****ched the GOWIII trailer?  (just watched) fixed

i pressed the circle ****on on my controller after that and so****ing happened (butt, and something) fixed
PLZ SPEAK YOUR MIND IF WE SAY NOTHING NOTHING WILL BE DONE
Message Edited by Cmathi on 06-23-2009 10:06 AM

Message 375 of 384 (163 Views)
Wastelander
671 posts

Re: Censors going overboard?

Dec 13, 2008
+1, since I can't kudos...

2351 posts

Dec 13, 2008

They should censor those words, but have exceptions

If you say "Hell" it will come out as "****" but if you say "Hello" it will come out as "Hello"

Also if you say "Helloo" it will come out as "****oo" becouse it is not an exception

Photobucket
Click my sig to go to the soap forums
Message 2 of 384 (163 Views)
Sackboy
590 posts

Dec 13, 2008

Yeah they really need to adjust this asap.   I guess the Closed Beta Testers didn't do their job.......

JUST KIDDING!!!   My brother was a closed beta tester and he said there were none of these issues in the closed beta.

Message 3 of 384 (163 Views)
Survivor
2537 posts

Dec 13, 2008

Furlious wrote:

Yeah they really need to adjust this asap.   I guess the Closed Beta Testers didn't do their job.......

JUST KIDDING!!!   My brother was a closed beta tester and he said there were none of these issues in the closed beta.

its probaly because ofletting the minors on home 13+... but go to a pg13 movie and they can say that stuff...

Message 4 of 384 (163 Views)
Splicer
72 posts

Dec 13, 2008
The ESBR rating for Home is "Early Childhood" So I understand why these words are Censored, but even in runescape you can still say hell, you used to not be able to say fart in there, but from what I've heard, now you can.
Message 5 of 384 (163 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Dec 13, 2008

Furlious wrote:

Haha, yeah... They didn't even have censors in the closed beta.

Upgraded to 500 GB PS3

^^My 4 favorites^^

Home Closed Beta Tester
Namco Museum Beta
Message 6 of 384 (163 Views)
Survivor
2537 posts

Dec 13, 2008
If you guys know any other words that dont need to be sensored tell me and I'll add them in

Message 7 of 384 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1478 posts

Dec 13, 2008
The censors should only show up if you have a youth account. I think the censorship should have a toggle swithc like most chat servers and IM software. If you are old enough, you should be able to say hello, without it showing up as ****o. LOL
Message 8 of 384 (163 Views)
Survivor
2537 posts

Dec 14, 2008

KillWill420 wrote:
The censors should only show up if you have a youth account. I think the censorship should have a toggle swithc like most chat servers and IM software. If you are old enough, you should be able to say hello, without it showing up as ****o. LOL

yeah I think they should also uncensor words in your private spaces 

Message 9 of 384 (163 Views)