Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Re: DNS Code, Home is dying

Dec 31, 2013

What's truly disturbing about this is that a company with a past history of security breaches allows a group of users to mess around with their servers, and further allows them to organize their activity through a website that everyone on this forum knows.

When the next data breach happens, this behavior is all the evidence that governments and lawyers will need to extract some very hefty, possibly crippling fines from Sony. They knew about it, they knew where it was coming from, they received numerous complaints and they did nothing about it. It's all been out in the open for anyone to see. Truly mindboggling from a liability perspective.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 131 of 138 (381 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
10644 posts

Dec 31, 2013
True dat
Message 132 of 138 (377 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8190 posts

Dec 31, 2013
You are adding ADDITIONAL information, not contradictory information.

Okay, lol...now I am really done.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
With few exceptions, true suppression, repression and oppression is often fueled by fear, not by logic or reasonable morality
Message 133 of 138 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
458 posts

Dec 31, 2013

Aeryn_James wrote:
You are adding ADDITIONAL information, not contradictory information.

Okay, lol...now I am really done.

No, it's not additional information - this is just all of the things you've said but with the correct terms and not all the mumbo jumbo "I'm going to throw out tech words to sound smart." If you want to discuss TCP/IP protocols and D/DoS attacks I am more than willing to take the discussion private but don't supplement "DNS" for internet layers and their involvement on DDoS attacks as if it's enforced because it sounds fancy. Lag on Home isn't some mystical snare of DDoS attacks, it's retrieval of information. You simply have no idea what you are talking about.

Complete global saturation.
Message 134 of 138 (368 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8190 posts

Dec 31, 2013
Lol
_____________________________________________________________________________________
With few exceptions, true suppression, repression and oppression is often fueled by fear, not by logic or reasonable morality
Message 135 of 138 (364 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8190 posts

Dec 31, 2013
I didn't bring up ddos, Buck did. My mention of that subject was in response to his post regarding a google search.

Much of the above in which you attribute conversation points to me are incorrect. The thread reflects this.

Okay, now I think I'm done.
Message 136 of 138 (349 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

What's truly disturbing about this is that a company with a past history of security breaches allows a group of users to mess around with their servers, and further allows them to organize their activity through a website that everyone on this forum knows.

When the next data breach happens, this behavior is all the evidence that governments and lawyers will need to extract some very hefty, possibly crippling fines from Sony. They knew about it, they knew where it was coming from, they received numerous complaints and they did nothing about it. It's all been out in the open for anyone to see. Truly mindboggling from a liability perspective.

Oh yeah it's mindboggling and they still continue to do nothing. Home users deserve better but sady Moderation could give a hoot. How many good people have left the service as a result?

Message 137 of 138 (323 Views)
Highlighted
Sackboy
458 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2013

Aeryn_James wrote:
I didn't bring up ddos, Buck did. My mention of that subject was in response to his post regarding a google search.

Much of the above in which you attribute conversation points to me are incorrect. The thread reflects this.

Okay, now I think I'm done.

Let me copypaste the two things you said that were blatantly wrong:

"Denial of service (ddos) is a disruptive script, usually disseminated through a dns server. The only reason a dns server is used is to mask the originating location of the packets being sent."

"Ip spoofing uses a DNS PROXY."

Now, let's get on our thinking caps. Internet Protocol (IP) is a network protocol operating at layer 3 (network) of the OSI model. It's a connectionless model so there is no transaction state, information that is used to route packets on a network (that is, in fact, the DNS' job). Let's take a look at an IP datagram:

ip datagram

You can see that includes information such as source and destination addresses. Using tools and software, attackers don't use "DNS proxies" they just change the source IP address. Keep this in mind when I discuss TCP.

You can think of IP like a wrapping paper for layer 4 (transport), which contains Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). TCP is a connection-oriented protocol, meaning it must build up communication via the 3-way handshake (SYN, SYN-ACK, ACK). By maintaining a sequence it ensures data reliability, since the sender receives an okay from the recipient after each packet.

tcp datagram

We're going to look at the first 12 bytes (the first 3 rows). What's important to spoofing is the sequence and acknowledgement numbers because this data tells the sender whether a packet needs to be resent. The sequence number is the first number in a packet and the acknowledgement number, in response, contains the next expected sequence number in the datastream. This relationship confirms that the proper packets were confirmed.

Now that you have an idea of how TCP/IP works, the flaw with this TCP/IP setup in IP spoofing, especially when you're discussing DoS attacks (or DDoS attacks) is that it's easy to change packet information in the datastream (with the proper tools, of course). People who carry out DoS attacks don't need DNS Servers to execute it, they just falsify IP streams in the IP packages and send them without regards for the authentication handshake (SYN, SYN, SYN, SYN, SYN...). 

So, in conclusion, you can think of the IP as the wrapping paper for the TCP which is the package and the DNS as the carrier. 

You continuously make false assertions about the DNS as if you understand how DNS or TCP/IP protocols work.

Edit: This thread has run its course, will now be locked

Complete global saturation.
Message 138 of 138 (317 Views)
0 Likes