I Only Post Everything
1266 posts

Re: Friending Etiquette

Mar 24, 2010

I want to point out to anyone who hasn't done it in a while, or if it has changed (not sure if it has changed), that the end of the "live" tutorial drops new players off in central plaza, and asks them to try to make a friend. I don't start initialy with anything other than a hi when I'm approached, and if I get a random message, I check the trophies (not the best way of finding out but it's pretty acurate for my tastes, and fast) to see if we have or do play common games. If not i reply asking why they want me as a friend before making a decision.

I'll also state that using a female avitar will grant 10x's more random conversations, and friend requsts, 3x more requests if you use a male avatar with a unique shirt, 2x more approaches wearing default clothing, and 0 to negative responses being shirtless (male) or wearing a costume with a zipper. I have 7 diffferent avitars, they change quickly, but the person is still the same.

Perish_Song
Message 31 of 99 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Mar 24, 2010

Usually I let the other person send me a friend request, after at least talking of course.  Come to think of it I haven't got a random friend request in quite a while.  Lucky me I guess, I used to get a couple a week.  I try to be nice to people, but some of the immature people on Home make it so difficult. 

Message 32 of 99 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
276 posts

Mar 24, 2010

RavageX wrote:

You know for the most part this place seems to have a close knit community. I've even seen a few of you about, and guess what happens when I say hello?

Nothing.

No hello back, not even a wave. I don't get it honestly.  Perhaps I don't give my character's ninja skills enough credit and I simply can't be seen.

At the same time I am not expecting people to be overly friendly, but if you can't take a second to respond to a person's hello.....I think something is wrong.

Maybe my anti-social behaviour is easily picked up in home?

I think that may be because a lot of people generally don't like hellos. "Hello" is this forum's "Once upon a time" for tales about inappropriate/generally annoying behavior exhibited by immature users. "Hello" is in the same boat with default clothing. Is there anything wrong with using either of them? Absolutely not. But will using either of them increase your chances of being ignored? As you have already witnessed, absolutely yes.

There are too many people running around using those options who make it their duty to sour others' Home experience. I think people are more receptive if you personalize your greeting, because it shows that you're more interested in having a conversation. They won't think you're just another jerk whose next line after "Hello" is "************". Try "Hey, what's up" next time and see if that changes anything for you.
Message 33 of 99 (21 Views)
Sackboy
601 posts

Mar 24, 2010

Well I usually don't just say hello, sometimes I'll address a whole group, or ask how things are going, etc.

I will say I had success tonight, I actually had a convo going. Was quite nice.

I been around on home since the actual closed beta, and people were misbehaving then so I can understand how some would be afraid of being part of someone's immaturity. It's only gotten worse but there's still good people to be found.

Message 34 of 99 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
69 posts

Mar 24, 2010
Try saying someting along with a greeting when you greet someone, or infact, try replacing the greeting with something like a compliment, or a question. I.E. "Where'd you get those awesome clothes?" or maybe "That's a nice look!" 
Nothing pickup line like, but still, get on their good side fast, and don't be brief about it. Show some investment of time, and some eagerness to talk to them.

I hate it when people run up and used a canned "hello" or something, personally. Or even a "sup?" or something horribly mispelled, or impersonal will not make me eager to speak with someone. If a person sends a message via any othre medium but Home, they're not going to get any farther than that.

And for heaven's sake, don't try something that sounds lie a pickup line. There's likely a good many women on Home -not- looking for someone to hit on them. They want to be treated like everybody else. Sprinkling in "baby," and other pet names immediately alerts them that they aren't going to be treated like everyone else. It tells them you see them as less than equal. After all, how often do you tal to other guys that way?

Personally, I find it thoroughly demeaning. I have a name hovering over my head, after all.

In otherwords, don't treat girls diffirently from another guy.

Further, if a group of people are having a deep conversation, don't horn in awkwardly. Know what they're talking about, or don't bother trying. The last thing people want is the topic's flow broken.

Talk for a long time, in one on one or in a group, Ask if you can add them only upon splitting up. There's no need to rush friendship.

That's just my advice, though. Being an extremely anti-social person myself, and the sort to never make a quick friend, I'd like to think I have some insight on things.
Message 35 of 99 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12787 posts

Mar 24, 2010

DemonAngelAllix wrote:

Everytime I log on, I get spammed with friend requests from people. Not that I mind people wanting to be friends, but I'm positive 90% of them are just being creepy. I feel bad because sometimes nice people may be lost in the cluster of ignorables.

I just wanted to let everyone know the power of actually talking to someone before you send a friend request. Say hello, ask me how I'm doing. Then send the request. I'm sure everyone on Home will be more likely to become your friend if you introduce yourself first. I know a lot of new people may be anxious to get their friends lists bigger, but random requests aren't the right way to do it.

That's it really, just wanted to put that out there. I'm always glad to accept friend requests from people I've talked to. And I'm sure lots of other people feel the same way.

i will not accept the request if I do not know that party or they haven't explained why?

Message 36 of 99 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
401 posts

Mar 24, 2010

I agree with much of what's been said on this thread.  Actually, I applaud most of you for being so open and reasonable.  I have accepted very few friends, and only ones I get to know quite a bit.  I really don't want to be a snob or anything, I just don't want a bunch of stangers to know what I'm doing, where I am, what I'm playing, and the last time I logged on.  Geez, that sounded paranoid.  What was that?  Did you hear something?  Somebody out there?

Photobucket
Message 37 of 99 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
90 posts

Mar 25, 2010

wookingtons wrote:

I agree with much of what's been said on this thread.  Actually, I applaud most of you for being so open and reasonable.  I have accepted very few friends, and only ones I get to know quite a bit.  I really don't want to be a snob or anything, I just don't want a bunch of stangers to know what I'm doing, where I am, what I'm playing, and the last time I logged on.  Geez, that sounded paranoid.  What was that?  Did you hear something?  Somebody out there?

I agree with that statement. Plus I enjoy the random conversations whose only purpose is to entertain you at that moment in time. Assuming of course you can weed through the useless people. Sometimes I add many times I don't.

Message 38 of 99 (21 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Mar 25, 2010

"Hi ___,

Thanks for your friend request. Unfortunately, I won't add anyone I haven't met. If you're still around, please feel free to walk up to me and hang out for a bit. =)"

This is typically my response message to "Drive-By Friend Requests". I won't preach for anyone else to do the same. But, keep in mind that ettiquette is something you learn from experience in the environment you're in. This is why it mostly happens in Central Plaza. It's the first place the tutorial leads all new comers to socialize with others. By teaching Home's newest users how we show respect to one another, they can learn how to get the most out of the application too. And in that process, there's room to make new friends for ourselves as well. I find this approach to be a win win for both parties  

Message 39 of 99 (21 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33649 posts

Mar 25, 2010

RavageX wrote:

You know for the most part this place seems to have a close knit community. I've even seen a few of you about, and guess what happens when I say hello?

Nothing.

No hello back, not even a wave. I don't get it honestly.  Perhaps I don't give my character's ninja skills enough credit and I simply can't be seen.

At the same time I am not expecting people to be overly friendly, but if you can't take a second to respond to a person's hello.....I think something is wrong.

Maybe my anti-social behaviour is easily picked up in home?

maybe the people you said hi to dont recognize you. ive ran into quite a few people from this forum i didnt recognize until they said so.

so maybe instead of just saying "Hello." then getting mad when they dont respond, you could say a little more so they are more willing to engage in conversation.

Message 40 of 99 (21 Views)
0 Likes