Highlighted
Jul 21 2010
By: Jim777 Last Guardian 10878 posts

Home Massively Multiplayer Game (MMO)

25 replies 37 views Edited Jul 21, 2010

This topic is a big one just a heads up.

If you dont feel like reading the entire topic, look at the table of contents and pick out the sections that interest ypou 

Table of Contents

1. Intro
  2. Break down
  3. Lots of People
  4. Quests 
  5. RPG Elements
  6. Daily Content
  7. Spaces spaces and spaces
  8. Plausibility
  9. Cost

~~1. Intro~~

Recently we have seen alot of people talking about turning Home into an MMO, or rather having an MMO existing within Home. 

So first lets make sure we all know what an MMO is.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world.

MMOGs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world. They include a variety of gameplay types, representing many video game genres."

Now while there are many MMOs out there there is one that seems to be first on peoples minds, its the first thing you think of when you hear MMO. That game is World of Warcraft (WOW). Now when we look at such a massive MMO as WOW its hard to imagine any of that fitting into Home, massive fantasy worlds, huge sprawling worlds, thousands and thousands of Non Player Controlled Characters (NPCs), items, quests, levels, rewards, and so much more. But there are ways that i think an MMO on par with something like WOW could be put into Home.

~~2. Break down~~

Lets break down an MMO to its key components, to make up an MMO you need the following:

• Lots of people in the same area working either competitively or cooperatively.
  • Quests, things to do 
  • RPG style ranking, upgrading, stat building, and item collecting
  • Something new to do each day. 
So looking at this list we have a tall order, so im going to demonstrate how i think these things should be put in the Home platform.

~~3. Lots of People~~
Well we already have thousands of users in Home, so population isnt to much of an issue. We also have 64 people caps on public spaces.
The key here is that we would need some form of party system within Home so that as people travel around the various MMO spaces (and we would need quite a few to house a true MMO) together without hassling with invites.

~~4. Quests~~
Quests - This already exists, if you want to see it look at Sodium. You have an NPC giving objectives to people to earn a type of credit to redeem. All that would be required to make it more of a true MMO is add group quests (we have seen this to some extent in the Resident Evil Space) and make about 1,000 more then currently exist in Sodium. You would also want quests and NPCs spread out around the many MMO spaces. But ill talk more about the spaces in another section. The other key to an MMO is that you can share quests with people, so even quests that could be done by yourself should have some ability to either be shared so that you and your friend can both do it, or done so that anyone in the party can help out.

~~5. RPG Elements~~
The main RPG elements i think that would fit in a Home MMO are:
  • Item collecting
  • Ranking / Leveling up
  • Stat building
One major part of some RPGs is item collecting, something that is already in Home. So there isnt to much to say about that, we have also seen very limited ranking in Sodium with the pilots jacket and other rewards for playing a games. Stat building doesn't currently appear anywhere in Home, and this is key to any MMO because it allows your character to be different then anyone else. Now the exact stats to be used would depend on the MMO itself, i we where to incorporate combat then you could have things such as strength or agility. You could also have intelligence, charisma, etc. This could be enhanced with items that when equipped alter your stats. Im sure most of you have played an RPG in your time so you understand what i mean.

~~6. Daily Content~~
 We of course have seen this in Xi, where there was a new piece of info each day for the game. However an MMO really couldn't work the same as an ARG, so how could someone create something new every day.  The short answer is that they cant, more realistically the devs might have major updates for the MMO every week or month, depending on how many quests, items, etc they add to the game. Now of course an MMO would be huge and just keeping up with the base product should take you a long time. But once you hit that level cap, once you have seen all various spaces, how do they keep you coming back? Well other MMOs have used things such as raids, and other systems that allow you chances at new items and loot as well as an opportunity to play with your friends.
There could also be Player Vs Player games within the MMO, and we all know and love those. Death matches, capture the flag, and other games like that would allow users the chance to put their character to good use.

~~7. Spaces spaces and more spaces~~
If you have ever see an MMO the world is often massive, made up of very distinct areas. As we have seen from Sodium Home is capable of housing HUGE spaces. As long as all the spaces linked and you had some form of map to know where you where and where you needed to go, i think a true MMO would broken up into  few dozen spaces would be perfectly possible.

~~8. Plausibility~~
So with all the above in mind, is an MMO in Home a realistic idea? I would say yes, it will require alot of work, and the developers behind it will have to really keep up with it and keep updates flowing. But i really think it could work, and everyone would benefit highly from it. One thing i think that would have to be kept in mind is that while this could be a terrific idea, it could also end up a flop. 
Sodium claimed to be Homes first MMO, but as MMOs go it really doesn't stack up well and pales in comparison. To whomever takes up this  massive undertaking I would say you either have to go all the way or not at all.

~~9. Cost~~
In a perfect world such a game could be free, however this would take years to create, and im sure the devs would like a more stable source of income then advertisement. (Plus you dont really wan them advertising in this kind of environment) So that begs the question, how much?
Again i think Sodium is a good base point for this kind of Freemium game, the MMO should be free to play up to a set point. If you look at WOW you see that there is a level cap for anyone running the trial, and then once you have paid the cap is raised. However i also think once you have paid that should be the only time you have to pay. I dont want to pay for quests after that, or items related to the MMO, etc. All items involved should be earned by playing. Again looking at WOW, once you have paid you have access to everything in the MMO, you wont have to pay for anything again.
So how much for the full MMO? If it came with everything i have discussed here i would be willing to pay quite a bit for it.

~~10. Discussion~~
If you have read this entire thread, thank you very much.
So what do you think?
Is this the direction to take Home? 
Should we stick to less involved games?
Would you be willing to pay for such a game? 

@Jim777PS
Message 2 of 26 (37 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6519 posts

Re: Home MMO

Jul 21, 2010
Message 1 of 26 (37 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
892 posts

Re: Home Massively Multiplayer Game (MMO)

Jul 21, 2010

In HK there is currently a Prinny game with some of these elements. It's pretty awesome. Check it out.

I would like Home to be more of an 'ongoing experience' but to give people a feeling of accomplishment, they would need to incorporate levels or give away more free items. Im sure this desire for an MMO will be filled soon enough with DC Online and FFXIV.

Message 3 of 26 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Jul 21, 2010

Gideon wrote:

In HK there is currently a Prinny game with some of these elements. It's pretty awesome. Check it out.

I would like Home to be more of an 'ongoing experience' but to give people a feeling of accomplishment, they would need to incorporate levels or give away more free items. Im sure this desire for an MMO will be filled soon enough with DC Online and FFXIV.

Ah, that sounds interesting!

(btw) Great thread Jim!

Message 4 of 26 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
427 posts

Jul 21, 2010

Sounds great man. If anything I would hope that this would be optional to those that wish not participate(ie. me for I don't think I can keep up with the monthly fee's that most MMO's usually give, unless of course there is only a stand alone fee and that's it minus expansions and what not). But yeah perhaps a seperate space or something kinda like Irem did with irem gekito meadows space, those that wish to just socialize in the space can stay out of the battle area and what not and those that wish to enter the actual RPGish type style simply need to move foward into battle(socializing also works). But yeah, a trial of sorts would be nice to see if you're idea can becomes practical, if anything I am for this idea since adding new elements such as an expansive MMO style type game would be a welcomed addition for me since I socialize better through gaming(yeah I'm not too great at starting conversation, go figure.)

Message 5 of 26 (37 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
764 posts

Jul 21, 2010

Yes, very nice tread Jim. I wouldn't mind something like this in home, as long as the game is not too demanding of my time and money. Arnt they supposed to do something kinda like what you mentioned in the up and coming Steampunk space?

Message 6 of 26 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Jul 21, 2010

Kingofgameslt wrote:

Sounds great man. If anything I would hope that this would be optional to those that wish not participate(ie. me for I don't think I can keep up with the monthly fee's that most MMO's usually give, unless of course there is only a stand alone fee and that's it minus expansions and what not). But yeah perhaps a seperate space or something kinda like Irem did with irem gekito meadows space, those that wish to just socialize in the space can stay out of the battle area and what not and those that wish to enter the actual RPGish type style simply need to move foward into battle(socializing also works). But yeah, a trial of sorts would be nice to see if you're idea can becomes practical, if anything I am for this idea since adding new elements such as an expansive MMO style type game would be a welcomed addition for me since I socialize better through gaming(yeah I'm not too great at starting conversation, go figure.)

Right i wouldnt want Home to become an MMO, it would be like Sodium. Go and play if you want or do other things. 

KuRo1605 wrote:

Yes, very nice tread Jim. I wouldn't mind something like this in home, as long as the game is not too demanding of my time and money. Arnt they supposed to do something kinda like what you mentioned in the up and coming Steampunk space?

Kind of, but its not really an MMO more of a co op game, though it should be interesting non the less. 

@Jim777PS
Message 7 of 26 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Jul 21, 2010

A fine concept

As suggested. I'd buy a membership but I wouldn't go the pay monthly route if such an idea happened in Home.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 8 of 26 (37 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1238 posts

Jul 21, 2010

I'm usually not an MMO guy but I would pay for one in Home as long as there was no monthly fee attached to it. It would be cool if you could pay like $5.00 per character class and you would have the ability to unlock all of the armor and weapons associated with that class. Also, like the RPG Event at Japan IREM, you should be able to carry these items around both in game and in regular Home as well.

Message 9 of 26 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
82 posts

Jul 21, 2010

This would be great if (like sodium) it's a one time fee, and you actually get to use your Home avatar. I could easily see them making something like this into an arcade type game where you have some more easily implemented 2d cartoon character to play as. The new animations they would have to add for the home avatars (not to mention the monsters or whatever enemies they add for you to fight) would take a while to make. Plus implementing a battle system and hopefully making it work with a group of friends seems like a big undertaking. This would be fantastic though. Perhaps what you're wearing will change how you perform in the game? Or you could take those items with you and wear them in the normal Home spaces (like the sodium gear)?

I really hope they add something like this, and more. Perhaps even a shooter game? Or a racing game? They really have a lot of routes they could take with it, and I really hope we get to do something with our home avatar incorporated. Home is a great place to socialize, make friends, and play some pretty neat mini games. But if they REALLY want to expand their user base into the hardcore gaming crowd, adding some BIG games would do it. Sodium was a great start. They could even make this into a seperate disc based game that just uses your home avatar. What better reason for hardcore gamers to spend money on virtual goods to look cool in an MMO that actually uses Home avatars? They wouldn't have to charge monthly fees. The fact that a much wider audience would be logging into Home and making micro-transactions would pay for it. I know a lot of people have been wondering when we'll see a Home avatar used in a game (like miis on the wii) and this could do it. Why they didn't add them to some of the new Move games coming out I find bewildering.

Poop.
Message 10 of 26 (37 Views)
0 Likes