Highlighted
Oct 27 2009
By: djepic112 Gaming Beast 2137 posts

How come the much awaited "cache feature" does nothing new?

30 replies 44 views Edited Oct 27, 2009

3GB default or 12GB does not make any difference in performance/loading. Clothing still takes a long time to load (especially if you have a lot that you purchased/unlocked). People still take ages to load and if you walk around or move the camera too much, their avatars will lose detail. The item limit is also still the same for personal space decorating.

This was one of the features I was most excited about but it hasn't done anything. I'm giving up a lot of space for Home but it doesn't utilise it at all. Why?

Message Edited by djepic112 on 10-26-2009 10:22 PM
Photobucket
Message 1 of 31 (44 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5866 posts

Re: How come the much awaited "cache feature" does nothing new?

Oct 27, 2009
Message 2 of 31 (44 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1491 posts

Oct 27, 2009
I've noticed that the icons for furniture in Personal Spaces and on the World Map have almost instantaneous loading times on my 12GB cache. That's really all I've ever noticed.
Message 3 of 31 (44 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1545 posts

Oct 27, 2009

I think this will come in use when Home gets bigger. Currently all of Home's data is less than that 3GB so it doesn't matter. But once it get bigger (over 3GB) we will proably have to redownload spaces that get over-written when new ones are downloaded. Hence why a larger cache would be beneficial.

*shrugs* 

Photobucket
Message 4 of 31 (44 Views)
Lombax Warrior
244 posts

Oct 27, 2009

Problem is, it isn't a "cache" feature as most of us were knowing/thinking it to be. All it seems to have done is set aside more space for downloading spaces. Obviously, I can't comment on any loading time for myself except for the once in a blue moon I am able to load into my harbor studio but all my friends have reported seeing absolutely no difference in loading times of anything.

Another waste of dev/proframmers time that could have been spent much more wisely...Poor management.

Message 5 of 31 (44 Views)
Gaming Beast
2137 posts

Oct 27, 2009

JVBGFR wrote:
I've noticed with 12GB cache it loads much faster than 3GB.

Are you sure that's just not a post 1.3 thing? People confuse the two. 

Photobucket
Message 6 of 31 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5432 posts

Oct 27, 2009

I believe that the videos (non-streaming ones) and poster images are also contained in the 12 GB cache. I am certainly happy with the change since I don't have to re-download less visited spaces when I'm invited there. I know before that if I went to every space in Home, in order, when I looked back I would have to download the spaces again, as they were pushed out of the cache.

I expect that increasing the cache saves bandwidth for Sony's servers and was a relatively fast and easy thing to implement.

--

I neither work nor speak for SCEA;
the views expressed in this message are solely my own.
Message 7 of 31 (44 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1551 posts

Oct 27, 2009
All is does it keep more preloaded data for more spaces.  That's it.  If a space is updated you're gonna redownload it anyway.  I frequent 6 spaces on average between updates.  For me, it's back to 3GB after trying 12 for 2 weeks.  I think people with slower internet connections are benefitting from the cache increase.  Higher speed connections don't seem to see any real difference.
Message 8 of 31 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5866 posts

Oct 27, 2009

djepic112 wrote:

JVBGFR wrote:
I've noticed with 12GB cache it loads much faster than 3GB.

Are you sure that's just not a post 1.3 thing? People confuse the two. 

What? How could I confuse the two? Before 1.3, when I would go to The Mall to look at store items, it would take forever to load up, now after 1.3 to date, it just takes about a few seconds. Same thing with my Wardrobe while in a public space, my Wardrobe items load up much faster than they used to while in a public space. Entering spaces load a little bit faster to. Now entering Home, that loading time did increase no matter if I had 3GB or 12GB, but that loading time has decreased with 1.32.
Message 9 of 31 (44 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6846 posts

Oct 27, 2009

I've noticed a difference in some things. But other things I've honestly never paid attention. When loading something, I usually end up multitasking until it's done.

But it's not really meant to help improve load times. Rather it's really just meant to help speed up RE-loading of certain things. Kinda like mntgmr said.

"I want to fly, into the sky
Turn my back on this whole world and leave it all behind
This place is not my home. It's got nothing for me
Only leaves me with emptiness And tears in my eyes"

PSMVP: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Message 10 of 31 (44 Views)
0 Likes