Highlighted
Jan 18 2010
By: djepic112 Gaming Beast 2137 posts

Long time supporters of Home are being punished

53 replies 20 views Edited Jan 18, 2010

When I say long time supporter, I mean those who have purchased a lot of things and really given Home the financial backing it needs. Unfortunately, since the last major update, Home takes EXTREMELY long for us to log in. I've purchased A LOT of stuff so it takes me about 12 minutes from the time I press x on the icon to when I'm loaded in my first space. That's just unacceptable. Home also experiences frequent errors that logs you off. For me, it just really discourages me to get back on because of the long wait.

It also takes about a full six minutes to "download" anything after a purchase(even freebie) from the mall. I don't understand this. I'm not sure if the time this takes is tied in to how much stuff you already have or not. Again, if I bought stuff and realised I forgot one item, it discourages me to go back and sit through the wait. I thought the big "overhaul" was supposed to make Home better in the last software update? It made it much worse and it was already bad before. 

Also, it says that allowing Home to use 12gb means a "smoother" experience. So far, NO ONE here has reported any difference. 12gb is A LOT to give to one program, especially if you have the 40gb model. I offered the 12gb and Home isn't any different at all. I'm getting really frustrated with these problems and I wonder if they are going to get fixed within an appropriate time or not. It's  been months already.  

Photobucket
Message 1 of 54 (20 Views)
I Only Post Everything
841 posts

Re: Long time supporters of Home are being punished

Jan 18, 2010
i too have the long wait to get into home...and the loading of clothing is a bit slow...bui also have a ton of stuff...i dont know what they could do to load home faster...but it has been said b4..and i will say it again...it would be nice if we had some sort of "closet" to keep our old clothing in as to bring down the load times..its brings me back to the old RE days...with the chect you could leave wepons and ammo and other pickups that you found for use at a later date...that would be a huge help...maby like a back up system like PSN games...where you can erease em...but when ya want or if you ever want to wear it again you can just redowload it...but that would also work with the closet idea..i dunno im rambling...sorry...Smiley Happy...but id have to say the more you get...the more you wait...but it is worth it

Message 2 of 54 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5866 posts

Jan 18, 2010
Message 3 of 54 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2175 posts

Jan 18, 2010
Takes about 10 mins or more for me to get on my main account and almost the same length for my other account. I really want them to speed up Verifying Purchased Content for those who have a lot of content on their accounts. I freeze more often when I am in Wardrobe especially in public spaces like Central Plaza and the loading times for the items to load in Wardrobe takes forever. I am even using wired connection and it takes a while. Purchasing new stuff takes over 5 mins to get back to the main page.

Homie From November 26, 2008 - September 13, 2013.

Shady business practices? File a complaint to the BBB.
https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started
Message 4 of 54 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5432 posts

Jan 18, 2010

I also have a somewhat lengthy sign in time, though not quite as slow.

djepic112 wrote:

It also takes about a full six minutes to "download" anything after a purchase(even freebie) from the mall. I don't understand this. I'm not sure if the time this takes is tied in to how much stuff you already have or not. Again, if I bought stuff and realised I forgot one item, it discourages me to go back and sit through the wait.  

When you make a purchase, that "download" message is performing the "verifying purchased content" procedure, just like it does during the initial sign-in. At least right now, it seems Home has to go through the whole thing again, which can be slow. I agree that it can be discouraging if you forget an item or need to buy things from different stores.

I do hope that the verification procedure can be sped up, as it would make Home a better experience for everyone. Even those who never have spent money in Home might have a number of free items from the mall or via voucher codes and they too are affected.

djepic112 wrote:

Also, it says that allowing Home to use 12gb means a "smoother" experience. So far, NO ONE here has reported any difference. 12gb is A LOT to give to one program, especially if you have the 40gb model. I offered the 12gb and Home isn't any different at all. I'm getting really frustrated with these problems and I wonder if they are going to get fixed within an appropriate time or not. It's  been months already.  

Well, having a large cache does mean that you don't get prompted to download spaces themselves again nearly as often once you've visited them, and non-streaming videos won't have to be downloaded again that often either so they start playing right away. Downloading new spaces will push old items out of the cache, so you'd have to download the space again once it's been purged. That happens more frequently with a smaller cache. There doesn't seem to be much benefit on avatar loading or the wardrobe.

EDIT: typo fixed.

Message Edited by pasufarin on 01-17-2010 11:59 PM
--

I neither work nor speak for SCEA;
the views expressed in this message are solely my own.
Message 5 of 54 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2137 posts

Jan 18, 2010

I mean, this should of been change soon after 3.0 was released. It's really unacceptable. As for slow loading wardrobes, yes, I HATE changing now. Each section should be divided into like subfolders 1,2,3. Each holding maybe 25 things so that it loads quickly and you can see if it has what you want in one screen. Also, clothing items NEED to have names. There are so many things that really make the Home experience unenjoyable for me. It's probably going to remain this way for a long time seeing as 3.0 took ages to come out and was delayed and filled with serious issues.

The most irritating issue at hand though is that verification. What is happening during that? Making sure you didn't steal stuff every single time you log in? I don't understand. 

Message Edited by djepic112 on 01-17-2010 09:08 PM
Photobucket
Message 6 of 54 (20 Views)
Wastelander
835 posts

Jan 18, 2010
I agree that the loading time is unacceptable, but I'm not sure why you tied in the "long time supporters" part. If you support Home just because you buy stuff from it, then we are all supporters of every brand we buy from in rl correct? It's business imo, Sony is after your money first, then your support.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 54 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2137 posts

Jan 18, 2010

MidnightxMenace wrote:
I agree that the loading time is unacceptable, but I'm not sure why you tied in the "long time supporters" part. If you support Home just because you buy stuff from it, then we are all supporters of every brand we buy from in rl correct? It's business imo, Sony is after your money first, then your support.

because newbs generally don't have a large inventory or purchased and redeemed stuff. Plus supporter in a true sense of Home means helping to keep it run... aka buying stuff, or something. 

Photobucket
Message 8 of 54 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
835 posts

Jan 18, 2010

djepic112 wrote:

MidnightxMenace wrote:

because newbs generally don't have a large inventory or purchased and redeemed stuff. Plus supporter in a true sense of Home means helping to keep it run... aka buying stuff, or something. 

I understand about the newbs, as for "supporter", yeah I guess that's another way of looking at it.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 54 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5432 posts

Jan 18, 2010

djepic112 wrote:

The most irritating issue at hand though is that verification. What is happening during that? Making sure you didn't steal stuff every single time you log in? I don't understand.

It's reading the Services Listing (in Account Management) to determine which purchased items that you have so it can enable their display in the Wardrobe or Furniture Browser. Since the Services Listing is part of your account, it's stored on Sony's servers, and I think they are ones tied in with the PlayStation Store. Now, why this procedure is so slow, I don't know.
--

I neither work nor speak for SCEA;
the views expressed in this message are solely my own.
Message 10 of 54 (20 Views)
0 Likes