Wastelander
558 posts

Re: My opinion on PS Home MVP/Guides

May 28, 2013

I hope this becomes a heated debate like in the pastor thread lol. Reeeeoooooooowwwwwwwwww......Cat Mad

Message 11 of 34 (561 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2013
Nice write up, LightningEmotion

I think it's been dragged out enough over the last 3 months and most MVPs have likely already said their part on the matter. I respect your points on the subject too I might add.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 12 of 34 (558 Views)
Wastelander
539 posts

May 28, 2013

totally agree with CMC on this. eole want MVP to hang over others. i think we saw how selfish are when lockwood announced that everyone would get the mercia portal and not just be for guides/mvps. real people who live up to titles have others refer to them by it , and those not deserving constantly obnoxiously rub it in to desperately gain notice. if you good , be good for the happiness it brings other , not for your own selfish agenda

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 13 of 34 (532 Views)
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

May 28, 2013

Jersquall wrote:
Nice write up, LightningEmotion

I think it's been dragged out enough over the last 3 months and most MVPs have likely already said their part on the matter. I respect your points on the subject too I might add.

Thanks for the reply , man.

While I think topics have been brought up in the past with a seemingly similiar tone, I think this particular one is the first of its kind (from what I've seen ) Most threads about MVP usually  discuss the matter of why MVPs exist in the first place or what they do to deserve the title of MVP or Guide , etc. The message that I intended to convey was that the MVP could actually be a deterrent to a possible death of PS Home. By  shifting the focus to attracting new users and enriching the community as opposed to helping a small amount of new users in a dwindling user base, the MVP might earn the respect of some of the program's detractors. 

A win-win situation , right?

I was actually waiting on some replies from some of the current MVPs..but alas..

Message 14 of 34 (519 Views)
Fender Bender
2003 posts

May 28, 2013

I think the name mvp is wrong.  I think they should be called Sony Helpers or something like that. And the red ink should be changed to green ink. One good thing is that the ones who I thought were obnoxious before they became mvp are at least more polite if only because now they are afraid to look bad.  As far as quality control goes I am extremely surprised that a few of them are mvp having read past posts and seen who their friends are and how they behaved. I really think the standards should be raised.  I still think there should be more guides in Home.  By the way are mvp guides too and if not what exactly do they do?

Message 15 of 34 (481 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

I think the name mvp is wrong.  I think they should be called Sony Helpers

They were this close ___ to being called The Guido's or sumtin. Took forever to get it MVP huh?

HomeStationMagazine
Message 16 of 34 (476 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1235 posts

May 28, 2013

I'm not a Home MVP but I guess i'll throw my 2 cents in. I feel that the current Guides are doing fine in what they do, answering questions, planning and organizing events, so on and so forth. As far as attracting new users to Home goes, I wouldn't say that's their "job." It comes on the console for free already, if you own a PS3 chances are you've tried Home out before, and you'll usually know from your first experience with the service whether it's something you're interested in or not. Even if they did attempt such things as drawing new users to Home, I don't see there being anything close to a large influx of users. They're regular people, and only 40-some in number. It'd take a large amount of effort from the community managers AND the Guides to pull off such a feat. In the future, when the MVP program is really kicking into gear, sure, I suppose could see it happening. 

Message 17 of 34 (467 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1235 posts

May 28, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

I think the name mvp is wrong.  I think they should be called Sony Helpers or something like that. And the red ink should be changed to green ink. One good thing is that the ones who I thought were obnoxious before they became mvp are at least more polite if only because now they are afraid to look bad.  As far as quality control goes I am extremely surprised that a few of them are mvp having read past posts and seen who their friends are and how they behaved. I really think the standards should be raised.  I still think there should be more guides in Home.  By the way are mvp guides too and if not what exactly do they do?

To answer your question, all guides are MVPs, but not all MVPs are guides. The list of MVPs who are guides is stickied on the front page of the home forums. The rest of us help out and do similar things to what the guides do, but for the game and support boards. i,e, planning events for games like Uncharted 3, Starhawk, etc etc.

Message 18 of 34 (448 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1136 posts

May 28, 2013
Look who kudos the post... lol
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like waffles
Message 19 of 34 (432 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1633 posts

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2013

TrickedOutHoro wrote:

I'm not a Home MVP but I guess i'll throw my 2 cents in. I feel that the current Guides are doing fine in what they do, answering questions, planning and organizing events, so on and so forth. As far as attracting new users to Home goes, I wouldn't say that's their "job." It comes on the console for free already, if you own a PS3 chances are you've tried Home out before, and you'll usually know from your first experience with the service whether it's something you're interested in or not. Even if they did attempt such things as drawing new users to Home, I don't see there being anything close to a large influx of users. They're regular people, and only 40-some in number. It'd take a large amount of effort from the community managers AND the Guides to pull off such a feat. In the future, when the MVP program is really kicking into gear, sure, I suppose could see it happening. 

First of all, thanks for being the first Red poster to comment in this thread. I was beginning to think I made my initial post  too "intimidating" for my target audience, lol.

Now, I'm aware of what are the current duties of the MVPs are in regards to PS Home; which would be the activities you just outlined (questions , events). Even though promoting PS Home isnt one of the duties of an MVP, I don't see how taking a pro-active stance towards that position could be a negative thing. Awareness is what Home desperately needs now..

because,.. Lets face it..

Can anyone say with the utmost confidence that Home will last another 2 years ?..or even 1 year? I would be very upset to know that the service might possibly be discontinued after investing so much money in it, and I'm sure that most people who use Home regularly would say the same. Yeah, most people have tried Home once or twice after noticing it on the XMB and never used it again. Perhaps the reason they didn't enjoy it as much was because they gave up on the service before they got a chance to see the true potential that all of us see in it. There's a multitude of ways to easily promote Home throughout the internet.

It shoudn't appear like some colossal, unneccesary task to promote a service that so many  of us enjoy  and use daily. The Home MVP should be the most determined users to see Home survive in the long-run.

Message 20 of 34 (408 Views)