PlayStation MVP
477 posts

Re: My opinion on PS Home MVP/Guides

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2013

A decent read, good write OP and with the video games Christmas right around the corner, E3 that is, i personally plan on doing my part out there helping in any way i can.

E3 is one of the most popular events which brings new and old users in Home. It would be a great opportunity for new Guides/ MVPs to get a better feel of Home at it's busiest now a day.

This time of year is usually less busy due to the lack of Holidays and summer quickly approaching.

It would be cool to see every user have some kind of cool Logo or icon that represents their participation in some kind of positive way. i just don't see SONY paying someone to hand out gold stars, although in my opinion i think they should. 

The MVP Logo that i have and HCV Logo i had have never been a bragging right for myself, but i can't speak for others. Receiving these titles along side my user ID felt good to me i.e.. Receiving a gold star. it just did and does feel good to be recognized for having a warm heart. if everybody receives a gold star it means our community is full of good hearted people. if i were stripped of my logo tomorrow it wouldn't bitter my soul, i would continue to be as kind and caring as i am now.

i just wish that everyone who is helpful could get some kind of recognition, whether they say they want it or not, it's good to feel special, It's great to hear applause,and it's great to share laughter. This is how the world changes for the better, bgiving optimistic people pat on the back to assure them they are on the right track.

photo resize187x186_zps228e9f5d.gif
Message 21 of 34 (703 Views)
Sackboy
388 posts

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2013

I don't think i've ever replied to one of these threads but the write up is a good one and I agree with many ideas/points made in it.

As far as I know , I do not believe it is there duty nor asked of them to do anything like promote home but I do believe someone does need to and I agree with a proactive approach to getting more users on home rather it be normal users or MVP's who do so , I know i've brought in quite a few friends who made fun of me for being on Home , I am a Madden guy and I must add users from the Madden community at times due to events etc. and they will see me on Home and message me somethin out of line BUT I have talked a few into trying it out and they liked it AFTER seing howmuch of a social network it is and can be.

I will also add , when I first tried out Home years ago I laughed at the thought as me and a friend ran around looking at it , I cameback a couple months later out of boredom and then I started to slowly enjoy it once I had a few good convo's with other users , so I believe many folks who have tried it and never cameback might be as I was and possibly enjoy it if they were to give it a try again but I do believe some changes could be made to help them as well.

Everyone calls them noobs , home is not a regular video game where you might get called a noob but get better at playing it then become good at it , I think new users should get some more items clothing wise and maybe a game in there space so they don't stand out as much and get on only to leave with a negative experience (just an idea).

I believe everyone has some kind of avenue or way to possibly bring in a few friends or new users BUT I think if Sony would ask the MVP's to do so as well it would only help more.

Here's an example , I'm in the EA Sports Gamechangers program and EA gave us a site to write blogs ,create videos etc. and many Madden fans now follow on twitter , youtube etc. as we all try to do our parts in promoting Madden BUT we do so while being able to post our honest opinions each year and many members now have branched out even further with there own websites ,podcasts etc.because of there pashion for Madden.

If Sony would give the MVP's a simular site and allow them to branch out as well onto other sites (like mentioned in the OP) it would bring in many new users or in the least more people trying it out , I can't count howmany people i've talked to who have asked what is home after seing me using it ,these people could be shown and perhaps find they enjoy it.

There is linking of websites just to name one that could help as well but there does need to be more folks promoting home and with the right resourses the MVP's would be a great start.

Just some random thoughts ,sorry for the wall lol.

EDIT: Wanted to add , this post is by no means meant to say the MVP's are not doing what they should or say the program is a bad one as the ones i've met have always been very friendly. This is mainly  meant to give some ideas and opinions. I did'nt want anyone thinking i'm picking sides or calling out anyone. 

Twitter- @ALEXELWAY7

Youtube - ALEXELWAY
Message 22 of 34 (576 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

May 28, 2013
Glad the term "Red Poster" is sticking.
Call em as they are.. Lol.
- Restless Dreams.
Message 23 of 34 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1156 posts

May 28, 2013

MVP's and home guides ... I have a friend who's a guide, I call him a friend because I've known him since before he became an HCV, now guide, and he's a clubmate ... I don't know of many people who devote as much time to Home as he does, therefore a great choice :smileyhappy:

In the new crop, 2 more members of the same club became guides and another became a forum mod for racing related content and you know what? They are great choices, they represent Sony and/or Home very well, devote an enormous amount of time to helping others and are exactly the kinds of people I'd want in those positions.

The other day, while on the Jp servers, I was a bit lost on the new Granzella event, so I bugged an mvp and got all the help I needed, and why I think she's ALSO an excellent choice.

Not naming anyone, if you're reading this, you know who you are :smileyvery-happy:

Photobucket
 photo CT3WinnerBanner_zps9eb2b641.png
Message 24 of 34 (309 Views)
I Only Post Everything
555 posts

May 28, 2013
EDEA_KRAMER wrote:

totally agree with CMC on this. eole want MVP to hang over others. i think we saw how selfish are when lockwood announced that everyone would get the mercia portal and not just be for guides/mvps. real people who live up to titles have others refer to them by it , and those not deserving constantly obnoxiously rub it in to desperately gain notice. if you good , be good for the happiness it brings other , not for your own selfish agenda

This is not entirely accurate. The people who initially received the Mercia portal were those users invited to the Closed Beta last summer. It was not just given to MVPs or Home Guides (although some Home Guides/MVPs who did participate surely got a portal). During that closed beta period, it was the only way those testers could get into Mercia on Home.

Once the Mercia space went online for everyone, Lockwood then made the decision to grant the portal for all, which did cause consternation amongst some Closed Beta users who felt that their “reward” for being invited had lost it's value. I myself didn’t really care either way.

Sorry, didn’t mean to derail the topic. I just wanted to clarify that the invitation to the Mercia Closed Beta was not just an MVP-only thing, but a privilege that was granted to a number of Home users (myself included). We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion, already in progress.
Photobucket
Message 25 of 34 (295 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1862 posts

May 28, 2013

LightningEmotion wrote:

While I think the Home MVP do a decent job with helping the "noobs" get acquainted to Home's mechanics, I still feel that Home Guides don't do enough to help Home. A lot of detractors of the MVP program make this claim as well, although I don't feel their views are as thought out as mine are.. I don't feel that MVPs are useless , nor do I feel that they are lazy. What I do feel is that they can and should do more. It's no surprise that PS Home is dying, there's no guarantee that it will come on PS4. There's little-to-no first party support. But the biggest thing that worries me is PS Home's dwindling userbase.. I think we can all remember about 2-3 years ago when PS Home had loads of avatars in just about all of the popular spaces.. Now I feel its about half that amount ( I could be wrong ).

IMHO, I think the MVP's efforts should be more focused on attracting new users to Home from outside sources like the internet (Non-video gaming websites-focused websites/ non-Playstation-focused websites mainly) and even real life (if you have the guts) . 

You should want people who have never thought of trying Playstation Home to try it. (Also , when posting Home promotional material on other websites, you should also try to avoid using your PS Home Avatar to express yourselves online.. You want to draw people to Home, not creep them out ..

Exhibit A)

Just my 2 cents =P )

More users = more profit for Sony = Higher chances of Home surviving the transistion of the company's focus from PS3 to PS4.

Helping noobs is okay... but its ultimately pointless, PS Home is simple enough to master on the first hour or two and many people who use it get bored of it so fast , they are hard-pressed to ever try it again. And while what I said might sound  like a lot of effort.. Isn't that precisely what the MVPs signed up for? To better the Home community?... What better way to do that then by increasing its population by being pro-active? Better the Home community by going outside the realm of PS Home and drawing new people to its welcoming community. To the people who are always being criticized for broadcasting your MVP status, you should be the first to support this ideal.

It might even actually earn the respect of some of the detractors of the MVP program.

EDIT: Also , i forgot to mention that not all MVP talk about their titles... I can say those few who dont pontificate are actually the ones who want to blend in with the rest of us. X3

While I would like to point out that MVPs do a lot more than just help new Home users with questions and make events (such as being tour guides, amassing and giving detailed feedback, relaying information, and making helpful guides and other game media), I am all for advertising Home!  It is an interesting suggestion, actually.  I'm not sure how effective it would be though, with our small numbers and not being official Sony representatives.

We could post on other forum sites, but I honestly don't see that going very well.  I'm sure most of you realize the stigma that PS Home has (as some of you have already mentioned), and I would imagine that our posts would be treated as spam or other advertising, on non-Sony boards.

What I would really like is more advertising on the PS3 itself.  Such as in the "What's New" section of the XMB (like perhaps linking to a video tour of a new public space).  Also, having more Home bonus content in PS3 games.  Also, some TV adverts, not just for the PS3, but for Home itself.  The problem is MVPs have no control over that sort of thing, and television commercials cost a lot of money.

Also, I would like to point out that many MVPs already do post PSHome info on media sites, such as Youtube, Facebook and Twitter.  Ultimately, it is up to each MVP to decide how active they are in their role.  Although, I think hearing suggestions on ways to become more involved are great!  There are a lot of new MVPs still learning the ropes, and exactly what they are capable of doing.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who welcomes any feedback or suggestions that would help Home!

I do have two questions though (not to anyone in particular, just in general):

1. It seems there are some who never want mention of people's MVP title, and some who want an MVPs response to that subject (and other similar topics)... Can you understand how impossible it is to do both of those things at the same time? 
  2. If you do not see a need for MVPs at all - What would make the program a worthwhile pursuit to you?

Message 26 of 34 (277 Views)
Sackboy
388 posts

May 28, 2013

beneloben wrote:

MVP's and home guides ... I have a friend who's a guide, I call him a friend because I've known him since before he became an HCV, now guide, and he's a clubmate ... I don't know of many people who devote as much time to Home as he does, therefore a great choice :smileyhappy:

In the new crop, 2 more members of the same club became guides and another became a forum mod for racing related content and you know what? They are great choices, they represent Sony and/or Home very well, devote an enormous amount of time to helping others and are exactly the kinds of people I'd want in those positions.

The other day, while on the Jp servers, I was a bit lost on the new Granzella event, so I bugged an mvp and got all the help I needed, and why I think she's ALSO an excellent choice.

Not naming anyone, if you're reading this, you know who you are :smileyvery-happy:

Thats good to hear , I have no doubts about who was picked as all the ones i've met seemed very nice and they do on here as well while underfire and I applaud them for that. 

I was just giving ideas as to how Sony might be able to promote home more using the MVP program , the OP has some good ideas imo and i've also seen a decline in the last couple years as far as howmany people i'm seing online. I know you did'nt post this towards me but I did'nt want this turning into a negative thread as I havent read it all just the OP when I posted haha.

I just think Sony could promote Home alot better as could we as users do with our friends etc. 

I would like to see crowded spaces everywhere again haha.

Twitter- @ALEXELWAY7

Youtube - ALEXELWAY
Message 27 of 34 (271 Views)
Sackboy
388 posts

May 28, 2013

@ anamri 

Great post!  I agree with alot of what you posted ,it is upto Sony in the end to get more advertisement out there that a huge audience would see, i'm torn rather its they might not have future plans for Home or if they just want to spend the money doing so , I won't speak on something until I know for a fact.

I do have a question (i'm not sure if you would have to ask or not) , I know many people with gaming websites from the program i'm in who have branched out to create some pretty good sites ,some are newer and some have been around for quite sometime and recieve alot of traffic for being what they are.

I'm sure they would'nt mind linking there sites and even creating a section on there sites for Home only to see how it is recieved , most of them are sports gamer sites but there are many folks out there and I figured I could ask or maybe create some sections myself dedicated to Home if thats something some of you might be interested in trying out, i'm sure it would bring more traffic to there sites as well as possibly show alot of sports gamers something they might not have seen before or know little about.

Just a couple ideas I thought i'd post in an attempt to helpout.

Twitter- @ALEXELWAY7

Youtube - ALEXELWAY
Message 28 of 34 (254 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1399 posts

May 28, 2013
I'd like to offer that I was gone for ten months and it seems as busy as ever to me since I've returned. I do not think that Home is dying. If anything it has grown by leaps and bounds.
Message 29 of 34 (205 Views)
Wastelander
558 posts

[ Edited ]
May 29, 2013

What really bugs me is some of the MVP's on here don't seem to get touched by the mods no matter how inappropriate they act. One MVP in particular has a clique on here where they pretty much do whatever the heck they want. They tend to encourage others in the community to behave badly on the forums, and then these lesser individuals are the ones who get in trouble for it. It really makes me sick that some of the MVP's act like that, and the mods fail to reprimand them. No wonder all the other forums channels talk really bad about about the Home forums. Because it's a total joke here.

Message 30 of 34 (143 Views)