Fender Bender
2040 posts

Re: My stroll through (Home)

May 23, 2013

New video? Cool! I'll have to watch when I get a chance.

Message 71 of 103 (620 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2672 posts

May 24, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

My stroll through Home

Everyone here has a story.

Years ago on a  mid- June morning I awoke to a phone call from my then girl friend asking me to go swimming while she babysat at her uncles house. it was a Hot day in the San Joaquin valley so I gathered my things and called my friend to go with and we went. We were young and crazy and before thinking it through decided to jump off the roof of the house into the pool.

I remember being up there and the dive and the next..  I felt a pain like electricty throughout my body. I was dazed and could only see kids splashing but I could not move. couldn't talk. couldn't breath. last thing I remembered was slowly sinking.. Rolling over to see the sparkling ripples on the surface of the water. fade to black.

I awoke 3 days later where I was in traction in the hospital.   I was told I had a partial cut of the spinal cord C-5,6 on the base of the neck. I was a Quadriplegic. They flew me to one of the best Spinal Cord Injury hospitals in California. Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. After 5 months of Occupational/Physical rehab I was released.

Video Games are just that. games. Not being able to move your fingers in a live or die virtual game situation sure puts things in perspective. But nothing was going to stop me. Thank you Sony, PS3!  I love games. I might suck at some but I still play.

When I heard about PlayStation Home while the_original_se and myself were still at GameShark I knew where I was going to spend much of my day and nights. I just didn't know at the time how many, lol?

"I can walk in Home'' was my message thread to those here who were my friends and a testimony to others who had disibilities to the awesomness of PlayStation Home.  I was apart of a very famous club early Home open beta called the Nameless Ones (N1's), Later co- created GamerIndepth with Narde15 and later  Co-created HomeInformer with Sophronia. I was the Podcast editor on our weekly podcast with Gamerindepth and later HomeStation mag. But my love was being the first HCV (Home Community Volunteer) As I had a hand in shaping the program from day one until I retired three plus years later.

I started helping others here in the Home forums coming up on 5 years ago come this August. Through it all I could Walk in the virtual world called Home. (My Home)

This week we saw the release of the Virtual WheelChair in Home. I am happy to say this this brings me full circle. As tears flow .. I think it's pretty **bleep** cool.

Now that you know my stroll through Home, enjoy my stroll through the park. it's been a great ride.

The video is great. What a hoot! And with the story, inspirational. I enjoyed even though I once had a fear of being confined in a wheel chair. I see them a lot in real life however I'm used to them for the most part. I don't use a wheel chair (briefly recently, less than an hour, a grim reminder).

You or someone asked for other stories about disabilities so I'll expand on what I said in 2009 in your "I Can Walk In Home" post although not by much. I've had too many illnesses or physical problems from organic to neurological for close to 40 years so I can relate to your and others problems. I'm not a quad or para. 

And more recently I was slapped in the face by another disease.

It's not easy going through life with problems but we do the best we can.

Hang in there, you'se guys and gals, ok?

"As far as I go, As far as I know, I always got a place called Home." - Tiga & memories

Message 72 of 103 (605 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

May 24, 2013

Kid_Fleetfoot wrote:

The video is great. What a hoot! And with the story, inspirational. I enjoyed even though I once had a fear of being confined in a wheel chair. I see them a lot in real life however I'm used to them for the most part. I don't use a wheel chair (briefly recently, less than an hour, a grim reminder).

You or someone asked for other stories about disabilities so I'll expand on what I said in 2009 in your "I Can Walk In Home" post although not by much. I've had too many illnesses or physical problems from organic to neurological for close to 40 years so I can relate to your and others problems. I'm not a quad or para. 

And more recently I was slapped in the face by another disease.

It's not easy going through life with problems but we do the best we can.

Hang in there, you'se guys and gals, ok?

It's all you can do man. Sad to hear of your latest issue Smiley Sad  Sucks big time. You hang in there as well.

I'm starting to think we need a club for consulting.

Jers

HomeStationMagazine
Message 73 of 103 (597 Views)
Fender Bender
2672 posts

May 24, 2013

I used to bowl and probably could now with some practice. Here's a couple of wheelchair bowling videos. I heard of wheelchair bowling but have never seen anyone do it.

"As far as I go, As far as I know, I always got a place called Home." - Tiga & memories

Message 74 of 103 (588 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

May 24, 2013

Kid_Fleetfoot wrote:

I used to bowl and probably could now with some practice. Here's a couple of wheelchair bowling videos. I heard of wheelchair bowling but have never seen anyone do it.

Me with a bowling ball= danger for everyone and a quick trip to my doctor Smiley Tongue

HomeStationMagazine
Message 75 of 103 (580 Views)
Fender Bender
2672 posts

May 24, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

Kid_Fleetfoot wrote:

Me with a bowling ball= danger for everyone and a quick trip to my doctor Smiley Tongue

Oh, I don't know. There's always bowling on Home and you'd likely whip me. Smiley Wink

Message 76 of 103 (564 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

May 24, 2013

Such an excellent post Jers. I wanted to write a heartfelt reply and in fact tried to do so more than once, but the words I put down seemed trite and insufficient...the words just failed me. Perhaps something will come to me, but for now I just wanted to say that I'm glad we have you and others among us who really put things into perspective.

To many of us Home is an escape...to some it's another world completely. It's a world in which they arent met with limitations nor subject to inappropriate remarks or prying stares. It's easy to see why Home means so much to you and why you've given so much of yourself to it. I respect that a great deal and I thank you.

Message 77 of 103 (559 Views)
Wastelander
635 posts

May 24, 2013
Well, I don't know you, and I'm sure you don't know me but I've seen your name and postings over the years; and It's always nice to know something of the special person behind the Avi, and it definitely puts things in perspective. I am also disabled and I realize everyone has an issue to some degree; but when you hear a story like yours with such strength of character and spirit it really helps to understand a person and to inspire. Just wanted to thank you for posting and sharing your story. God Bless Jers.
Message 78 of 103 (556 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

May 24, 2013

boxer_lady wrote:
Well, I don't know you, and I'm sure you don't know me but I've seen your name and postings over the years; and It's always nice to know something of the special person behind the Avi, and it definitely puts things in perspective. I am also disabled and I realize everyone has an issue to some degree; but when you hear a story like yours with such strength of character and spirit it really helps to understand a person and to inspire. Just wanted to thank you for posting and sharing your story. God Bless Jers.

Hi, I have seen you around the forums and in certain circles. Always respectable and kind. Thank you for posting the kind words. You should post more! Smiley Happy /bows. TY.

--------------------------------------------

myalana wrote:

Such an excellent post Jers. I wanted to write a heartfelt reply and in fact tried to do so more than once, but the words I put down seemed trite and insufficient...the words just failed me. Perhaps something will come to me, but for now I just wanted to say that I'm glad we have you and others among us who really put things into perspective.

To many of us Home is an escape...to some it's another world completely. It's a world in which they arent met with limitations nor subject to inappropriate remarks or prying stares. It's easy to see why Home means so much to you and why you've given so much of yourself to it. I respect that a great deal and I thank you.

I kind of worried about you seeing the post. You're a mom and I know these type things can get to you. I figured you would either PM or post. Most of my friends have been doing a little of both. I was actually fine writing until I finished the first paragraph. Then it was Mississippi. it brought back a lot of memories. My parents mostly. You said enough, honesty. it's fine and I appreciate your thoughts. The second part of your post is so true. Amongst  many. Sometimes the world is cruel and sometimes it's crazy funny like you. Smiley Happy Ty, Mya.  

HomeStationMagazine
Message 79 of 103 (523 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

[ Edited ]
May 24, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

boxer_lady wrote:

Hi, I have seen you around the forums and in certain circles. Always respectable and kind. Thank you for posting the kind words. You should post more! Smiley Happy /bows. TY.

--------------------------------------------

myalana wrote:

I kind of worried about you seeing the post. You're a mom and I know these type things can get to you. I figured you would either PM or post. Most of my friends have been doing a little of both. I was actually fine writing until I finished the first paragraph. Then it was Mississippi. it brought back a lot of memories. My parents mostly. You said enough, honesty. it's fine and I appreciate your thoughts. The second part of your post is so true. Amongst  many. Sometimes the world is cruel and sometimes it's crazy funny like you. Smiley Happy Ty, Mya.  

My post was actually originally intended to be a PM to you Jers...you're astute. These kind of posts do really get to me...I've been lucky enough to meet some amazing people here over the years and whenever I see someone post as you have, it affects me. Thank you for sharing Jers.

Message 80 of 103 (514 Views)