Nov 27 2012
By: darkan12-nl Survivor 1630 posts

PlayStation Home Has Become The Weirdest Place In Gaming?

60 replies 1537 views Edited Nov 27, 2012

a articcle i found on http://kotaku.com/5963457/playstation-home-has-become-the-weirdest-place-in-gaming?post=54612871

Luke Plunkett

It feels like an age ago, and in gaming terms I guess it was. The launch of PlayStation Home, one of the cornerstones of the PS3's launch era, was meant to usher in a new kind of online interaction. A place where the connectivity of Xbox Live could be turned into a virtual world, blurring the lines between community and the games they play.

And for a while, this was the case! Sony live-streamed press conferences and shows into the service (which to its credit it still does), Warhawk tried to bring its strategic features into Home, and most of the junk you could buy was related to video games.

But over the years, Home has changed. It never really caught on. It's a profitable service for Sony (and the third-party companies creating content for it), sure, and people use it, but it's hardly the bedrock of the PS3 community it was supposed to be. It's certainly no Xbox Live, and even Nintendo's fledgling online service seems to have more meat on its bones.

And yet it remains. So who, then, uses Home in 2012? If we're going by the weird **bleep** that goes on sale every month for the service, I'd have to say... I have absolutely no idea.

Below you'll find some of the items and add-ons made available for sale in the service over the last year or so. Note that I'm not cherry-picking the weird/creepy ones; the kind of bizarre content here reflects a tone that's consistent throughout the offerings, which I think more than any survey or market research is able to sum up the kind of person using Home these days.

It's like someone took The Sims, smashed it together with late 90s-Eurotrash and added a dash of Second Life, just for colour. The results are, well, if nothing else the most unique and baffling array of content you'll find on any modern console.

I'm not saying that what Home's current users are doing or enjoying (or, to be more precise, buying) now is wrong. If you've found an online home and you're enjoying it, that's awesome! And if I sound condescending in any way, that's not my intent. Just because something is different doesn't mean it's worse. I've simply grown genuinely and increasingly fascinated by the shift in tone Home's gone through in the last few years.

But boy, I look at stuff like this and I wonder what Phil Harrison, the platform's champion, thinks. Because I bet when he helped launch Home in 2007, this was not what he had in mind.

agree or disargree?

photo l_1ac92e40c72f428cb2c1ab1d6c3930c5-1-1.jpg
Message 1 of 61 (1,537 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Re: PlayStation Home Has Become The Weirdest Place In Gaming?

Nov 27, 2012

I'll repost this responce I made to this article on the EU forum here.

___

I think it's understandable to see an online gaming magazine and journalist writing for Kotaku finding Home to be a strange place for gamers. Home has to some extent lost it's focus and original intent. Where are the REAL GAMES people play? Where is the real game content?

We get lots and lots of made for Home related content these days by 3rd party developers and that isn't necessarily a bad thing although that needs to be balanced with content from the real games we play on our XMB. 

It's even worse in North America where we lost lots of real game related lounges like the Resident Evil Studio Lot, Socom, Ratchet and Clank, Sully's Bar and adjacent spaces, Tekken, Far Cry and more. Gamers visiting home should expect to see real game related content upon arrival don't you think? Isn't that a reasonable assumption? It's used to be that way. It doesn't appear to be anymore. 

Personally I find it sad that Home has moved away from the games we play on our console to those solely being the games people play in Home. Home is fun but it is becoming less and less related to console gaming. 

Message 2 of 61 (1,533 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
10644 posts

Nov 27, 2012
I personally enjoy the hell out of the social capabilities of playstation home but, i completely agree with everything i just read here. Its just been getting worse every since midway. Dont get me wrong midway is one of my favorite spaces love all the games but whoever named them was obviously catering to perverts.
Message 3 of 61 (1,497 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
324 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Ok, you want the simple hard to take facts on this then dont read it. And I already figure the kiss ups on home andall over are going to pounce on it. Ok, fact we as consumers are still paying for the outage mess and will for awhile. And these prices we have to pay are part of it. Thing is what sells your going to see on home over and oer because fact it's selling.

And the devs are going in that direction. Its a money maker folks from all the 170 million that use this system and they knowit. Yes i buy stuff on home and in the store ( and im not being a hipakrit.. sorry never could spell that ) dont even get me started on the personal side of home, it go on for ever and wouldnt be pretty. 

But, as long as items are selling and at a great amounts. Your going to see it over and over until the buying trends on home change. They keep buying outrageous 16.99 items and 9.99 items over and over your going to see it over and over.  Debts have tobe paid and we are the ones who pay them * with a smile they say we love you , and we care. while sametime  reaching for the wallet and draining it dry * get my drift.

Message 4 of 61 (1,496 Views)
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

Ok, first of all, why is a game website writing about home? At this point, a presumably large percentage of the people who spend a lot of time and money on home are NOT the same who play and care about modern games. Some people have no trophies or games and use their PS3 purely for Home.

So yes, I'll say it, Home has nothing to do with games at this point, it has evolved to a console version of Second Life or IMVU.

It's for people who like buying clothes and furniture and decorating, and who like the reward system of the games as opposed to  trophies or "gamerscores". To quote myself from the beginning of this year:

I am not interested in 90% of modern games and do not buy them. The vast majority of games now are male oriented: a slew of "men with guns" games, sports games, military sims, over sexualized women, ect. Sure there is Nintendo which has cute original stuff, but that's mostly all forced motion controls now and I physically cannot deal with that. So therefore it's very hard for a woman with such limited and unconventional tastes as myself to find a gaming experience that can hold my interest.

Now I am not trying to spark the age old "catering to the higher male demographic" debate so please don't get into that. I am just bringing this up to show why I love home and spend so much. On home, I can be myself, not some big musclebound man with a gun and a gripe or a large bosomed, half-naked woman. I can also buy houses and decorate them, and have a massive wardrobe of clothing I can mix and match.

There is absolutely nothing like Home anywhere else. There is Second Life, but the graphics are horrible, and creating your own content requires programming skills, which I am incapable of. I am mainly interested in customizable games and services. Most games have little to no customization, where as Home is all about customization.

It's true too, what other games allow you to have such an indepth face creation tool, variety of clothing and decorating system? None that I know of. Home is still very limited, especially with the body type, skin colors (green, red, blue, ect), and lack of color wheel for clothing and furniture, as well as the furniture limitations. 

But while the body type limitations are inexcusable, I'll take facial customization over it any day. Most games with character creation still force you to choose between preset faces, which I hate. On home, you can make yourself as well as celebrities and characters. 

So yeah, in short, Home has evolved to an online shopping mall with it's own games, so what? A large percentage of people either like, or dont care about that. Ok, so the person who wrote this said that too, and that's its not "wrong' for us to be buying the stuff, but I don't understand the point of writing the article in the first place.

Also why does he show Granzella and Figment stuff as being "bizarre"? Makes no sense. Those are some of the most normal clothing lines in home. No, buy all means, let's call that strange, but the "wacky" over the top outfits in something like Saints Row 3 are perfectly fine because that's a full fledged video game.

Speaking of which, SR3 has character customization, but all the option inevitably  lead to women looking like over-sexualized super models no matter what you do, and the facial options are wierd. Also, seeing as the game is centralized around gang warfare, I wouldn't play it anyways. See what I mean? People like me just can't win with actual games.

Home offers things for people not interested in modern games, but I agree that they should offer more video game tie-ins, items, and events though, they would make SO much money off of it and attract more gamers.

I can't understand the stupid logic, or lack thereof, of devs making making Xbox character clothing and props for certain games, but not here. Is it because Xbox characters are cheesy looking and lacking in detail, therefore making it easier for the poor, lazy devs?

Examples of Home getting shafted while Crapbox gets great stuff for their patheticly-rendered avatars on games available for both systems:

-AC Brotherhood outfits for all classes, all for both male and female

-Michael Jackson Experience outfits, all for both male and female

-SSF4 outfits (we only got SF4) 

Also the Xbox Avatar Marketplace has tons of original content, of which you can do nothing with, yet I see no complaints or criticism of that! Sure there are games with avatar suppport, so that makes the clothes useful, but the props and such are utterly pointless. What can you do with them? You snap your fingers, the prop (and this includes "pets") appears for a few seconds, then dissappears. IT'S SO STUPID! You also can't do ANYTHING with your character outside of supported games (usually indie games). 

Oh and BIG LOL at Nintendo's new crap service offering "more" then Home. OMG WE CAN DRAW (family friendly or you're banned!) BLACK AND WHITE IMAGES! OMG!!! SO INNOVATIVE! And OMG we can have even more pitiful characters then Xbox, with even more crippling and limited options, and no clothing! BUT WE CAN CHANGE OUR STICK FIGURES MONO-COLORED  AND MONO-TEXTURED SHIRT COLOR OMG THIS BLOWS HOME OUT OF THE WATER!!!

The bottom line here is, Home should not be classified as a game, nor should it be panned for being "catered to instead of" video games. The fact is, big name games aren't suffering or being limited due to the resources being put into Home. So game websites and hardcore trophy fanatics should just ignore the fact that Home even exists, and go back to Call of Dookie yo!

Especiallly the people who post negative comments on the home blog, instead of  wasting their time criticising Home, they could be winning another trophy or "fraggin' a bro yo LOLOLOL"

As I already said, Home is now a console version of an online world such as Second Life, and should be left alone for the people that enjoy it. But at the same time, Home drastically needs improvements in core functionality, and needs more integration with games since it IS on a console. It's severely wasted potential right there, but of course this is the game companies fault for not realizing this potential, not the home devs.

Message 5 of 61 (1,446 Views)
Splicer
61 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Home is a bit of an enigma. To an outsider, it does look weird. It has a lot of the trappings of a standard game - 3D graphics, an avatar navigating a space, chat, friends lists, minigames - but thats not really what it is. I feel that home is more of a social experience. Items are purchased in home because of a lot of social factors, not just becuase they serve some function within the game. To an outsider, seeing a group of people in a horse head mask pulling on a gigantic slot machine might be kind of weird.

I feel like Home is one of those things where you either get it or you don't. It doesn't appeal to everyone at first glance, but if you get into it, there is something there.

Message 6 of 61 (1,419 Views)
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

iguelmay wrote:

To an outsider, seeing a group of people in a horse head mask pulling on a gigantic slot machine might be kind of weird.

The problem with this is the same people who would  say they find this "wierd" in Home, think it's perfectly normal (in fact, they probably find it "AWESOME") in something like Saints Row 3.

Also the person who wrote this article was showing Granzella, Figment, and Drey clothing lines as being "bizzare", but the ones shown are realistic-looking clothing lines. So I honestly don't know the point he was trying to make by that.

He should have just shown the Wierd Wear stuff like the diapers if he wanted  to make his point that home is "wierd", not a flight attendant outfit and formal dresswear. 

EDIT: And don't forget how he put a pic of swimwear too. Yeah, there's nothing more abnormal then swimsuits, what the heck were they thinking making those?! Swimsuits are horribly strange and bizarre unless they are on women fighting each other in DOA!

Message 7 of 61 (1,407 Views)
Wastelander
609 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012
darkan12-nl wrote: 
But boy, I look at stuff like this and I wonder what Phil Harrison, the platform's champion, thinks. Because I bet when he helped launch Home in 2007, this was not what he had in mind.

I agree with this statement 100%. Home is absolutely not where i thought it was gunna go back in 08/09. Not to say its all been bad. There are plenty of awsome things to do in home. Alot of things are holding it back though like error/lag outs, little to no content from sony/ps3 titles, and insane price points for new items. 
Its all a moot point though, no matter how much i refuse to participate, there are plenty of willing consumers to take my place. Home was always gunna make money, i just didnt think it would become its main agenda.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 61 (1,355 Views)
Survivor
2432 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

I don't think the author was trying to tear down Home in any manner, despite what the Home/Granzella spokeswoman will try to force you to believe. Rather, I think his whole point was, and please understand that I'm paraphrasing here: "Hey, y'all remember Home? Yeah, check out this sampling of what you can find there NOW!! Y'all should really check it out!!" I honestly don't see the author singling out anything in particular in the group of pics and besmirching anybody's choice to purchase it. And as far as Phil Harrison's opinion of what Home has become, I can only speculate this; he's probably thinking, "What the **bleep**?!?!?!?" <<<Yes, I censored myself, wasn't that nice of me? Smiley Wink I believe that's what would be on his mind, because with the changing technology and advancements in Home architecture (computer, not virtual), it's not likely ANYBODY could truly see where Home would go...

Edit: off topic comment removed

Photobucket
Message 9 of 61 (1,294 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
504 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Hmm yes home is very odd at times more or less how ppl dress or do things. But its a nice fall back on the ps3 its something too do and there's allways someone to help or something new going on and everyday something new will happ. As its not like ppl are npc and its not like sony is makeing you playing so sometimes {not this post} for the life of me i do not understand the hate it gets? at least sony gave us this. On xbox live if you have nothing to play {and most ppl i know only play monster hunter frontier last good xbox game for me anyway} your stuck in a party siting on a dashbord so ha ra for home i say. As home can be part of your life it can be a very good place to meet psn players or it can be a game zone its all up to you and what you make home out to be

photo moka_zps43a8e4a6.jpghttp://playstationhome.jp
Message 10 of 61 (1,289 Views)