Feb 24 2014
By: Lil_Bruin_77 I Only Post Everything 1118 posts

Privacy in Public Spaces

49 replies 626 views Edited Feb 24, 2014

Why do users think they own their little tiny circle of space and you can't stand there or stand next to them, just because they are having a chat  in a "public area."  

You wanna talk, that's what your Personal Spaces are used for you.  

Its not invading anything, you are in a "public space"  its fair game to everyone, regardless, if we are picking up your chat or not.  Oh well.  Use the ignore feature.  But, don't act like you own the place and make the rules up.  

I love how people complain about this.  Or people just aren't friendly anymore, how home has been operating lately.    

I didn't know being in a public space,  we had certain rules to go by from others.   

Don't ever tell me where to stand, how to stand and what I can and cannot do.  The friendliness certainly has gotten away from users.  

photo 90years_zps08bfda1e.png
Message 1 of 50 (626 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
10644 posts

Re: Privacy in Public Spaces

Feb 24, 2014
SIT STAY!
Message 2 of 50 (623 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 24, 2014
Seems like everyone has become paranoid and stand-offish, anymore! People would rather just complain, gossip and spread nasty rumors about each other rather than try meeting new friends and have a good time! I'm well aware of the reasons people are acting this way nowadays, because there has been a major breakdown of trust and loyalty amongst the players on Home! In my opinion, this has been a great disappointment in the way people should be behaving as a society! It's a shame that the adults on Home have such childish attitudes toward one another and are setting such poor examples for the newer players to follow! But, as I stated earlier; this is only my opinionated observation over the last few years on Home. O'si~yo!
Message 3 of 50 (609 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1118 posts

Feb 24, 2014

buckallmighty wrote:
You could accomplish the same thing this thread will (which is nothing) by simply practicing what you preach and use ignore on the ones that get offended when you walk up in their "little tiny circle" and refuse to stop following them around like a lost puppy and standing right on top of them.

The people are not getting offended because you want to join the conversation, they are getting offended because you are standing on top of their nuts.

Sure, now you give a real answer.  

Anyways, public space.  Fair game!! 

Message 4 of 50 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2014

Lil_Bruin_77 wrote:

Why do users think they own their little tiny circle of space and you can't stand there or stand next to them, just because they are having a chat  in a "public area."  

You wanna talk, that's what your Personal Spaces are used for you.  

Its not invading anything, you are in a "public space"  its fair game to everyone, regardless, if we are picking up your chat or not.  Oh well.  Use the ignore feature.  But, don't act like you own the place and make the rules up.  

I love how people complain about this.  Or people just aren't friendly anymore, how home has been operating lately.    

I didn't know being in a public space,  we had certain rules to go by from others.   

Don't ever tell me where to stand, how to stand and what I can and cannot do.  The friendliness certainly has gotten away from users.  

Hello Lil_Bruin. I believe I see a pattern to your posts.

I think I'll continue to chat in public spaces as well as personal ones if it's ok with you. Also, if mid conversation someone chooses to stand on top of me and spam the chatlog with "Hello, Hello Hello" or the like and just generally ignores the fact that they are interrupting, I may have a choice word or 3 for 'em. There's a time an a place for everything and being generally rude or oblivious that  you may be interrupting typically does not go over well.

You didn't know there were unwritten rules about polite behavior? Pity. You may learn about them yet. Good luck to you.

Message 5 of 50 (595 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
10644 posts

Feb 24, 2014
Not when you get that close it not. Im not saying stop approaching people or stop talking. Just don't stand right on top of them to do it.. And if they walk away, move on.
Message 6 of 50 (594 Views)
Highlighted
Monster Hunter
19 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2014

The coffee shop, mall, or a street corner are all public spaces in real life, but most people would not go to one of those places and, say, force themselves into a group people having their own conversation just because it was going on out in public. Right? We don't expect people sitting in a restaurant to engage with anyone who happens to show up just because the space is "public". We don't expect people to stay in their houses to have private conversations.

On the other hand, when we have those conversations in public, though we might expect people not to invade our personal space, we can't reasonably expect not to be overheard, so we behave accordingly, like by not talking loudly about things we don't want others to hear.

Why should virtual spaces be any different? People feel proprietary over the space they're using to converse because it's normal to feel that way, and it's rude to invade that space. If the subject is sensitive, then there's private and group chat, like whispering in a restaurant.

On Home, it happens all the time that some users put themselves between two avatars who are obviously talking to each other. I assume it's to get attention. I don't deal with it by complaining; I just reach for the ignore button.

Message 7 of 50 (591 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1118 posts

Feb 24, 2014

buckallmighty wrote:
Not when you get that close it not. Im not saying stop approaching people or stop talking. Just don't stand right on top of them to do it.. And if they walk away, move on.

Who said anything about standing on top of them. 

You can be pretty far and still pick up the conversation.  It's a public space and conversation is open to view, unless Home changes the chat log and comes up with something different.  Then, the privacy would make more sense!  

And no, I don't stand on top of people or get that close.   But when they complain because their space is being invaded, but so what, I can't stand here any my own business. 

Message 8 of 50 (589 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
10644 posts

Feb 24, 2014
You did.. When you mentioned "little tiny circle". Thats why i quoted it. Twice..
Message 9 of 50 (585 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Lil_Bruin_77 wrote:

buckallmighty wrote:

Who said anything about standing on top of them. 

You can be pretty far and still pick up the conversation.  It's a public space and conversation is open to view, unless Home changes the chat log and comes up with something different.  Then, the privacy would make more sense!  

And no, I don't stand on top of people or get that close.   But when they complain because their space is being invaded, but so what, I can't stand here any my own business. 

If you don't wish to hear them, ignore them and move on. I get the feeling you want to edge your way into some interaction and are put off when treated like you were interrupting. Eavesdrop from further away if that's your thing is my best advice sir.

Message 10 of 50 (586 Views)
0 Likes