May 25 2013
By: HotChick955 Sackboy 385 posts

Swapped hard drive with SSD drive

44 replies 4176 views Edited May 25, 2013

I want to share my new experience with my new SSD drive with you.

Yesterday I've swapped my original PS3 hard drive (500GB original drive that came along with the PS3) with a new Intel SSD drive (120 GB, $149.00). The whole PS3 is not MUCH faster in every which way. This is where I see the improvement:

- Home loads faster

- Wardrobe and Furniture items load practically immediately. I don't see the loading-dots anymore. The preview pix show up right away.

- Inventory items load ultra fast. When I go into the Inventory menu, all the items show up right away. With the "old" hard drive (500GB original HD) it took 5-10 seconds to load the items. With the SSD it's immediate.

- When I go to a public space, all the ghosts load into the regular appearance within seconds.

It's a joy!

Message 1 of 45 (4,176 Views)
PlayStation MVP
183 posts

Re: Swapped hard drive with SSD drive

May 25, 2013
That is great to know!! Do you have the Fatty or the Slim. How do you access the HD on the Slim?
Message 2 of 45 (4,170 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
12806 posts

[ Edited ]
May 25, 2013

Interesting...

i wonder about Internet. does it effect with SSD drive? 

EDIT: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-ssd.html

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 3 of 45 (4,155 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
12806 posts

May 25, 2013

DJ_Tiffany wrote:
That is great to know!! Do you have the Fatty or the Slim. How do you access the HD on the Slim?

I'm sure It's Old model. 

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 4 of 45 (4,151 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
982 posts

[ Edited ]
May 25, 2013

DJ_Tiffany wrote:

I swapped my original hdd out for a 1 tb hdd (Western Digital) ,.. Heres how to take out your hdd on a PS Slim ( not my video, just the 1st one on youtube search)....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 45 (4,142 Views)
Sackboy
385 posts

May 25, 2013

DJ_Tiffany wrote:

I had to buy a brand new PS3 a week ago (one of my dogs peed on my PS3 directly in the disc slot...) and so I got the brand new slim one. The drive is accessible through the oval panel on the right side (seen from the front). Push the panel to the back and the side opens up. The drive is held in place with one blue screw. It's a standard 2.5" SATA drive.

On the fat PS3 you can access the drive on the left side (seem from the front). The drive is behind the door that can be easily opened.

Make a backup before you replace the drive, if you don't want to lose your settings and such.

I did a complete clean install without a backup. I had to download the newest System Update V4.41 and put it on a USB stick. Click the Update link on the bottom of the screen to see how to do it. Sony's webpage explains it very good and it's also a very easy procedure.

Message 6 of 45 (4,141 Views)
Sackboy
385 posts

May 25, 2013

al2009man wrote:

Interesting...

i wonder about Internet. does it effect with SSD drive? 

EDIT: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-ssd.html

I don't use the PS3 to go on the internet (browsing the net)... so I don't know if it effects the browsing speed.

But I would say, yes, it make browsing faster. I was amazed about the speed increase of Home. Home uses the HD a lot and that's why I see such a speed increase.

I got the 120GB drive (520 Series).

Message 7 of 45 (4,132 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1747 posts

[ Edited ]
May 25, 2013

DJ_Tiffany wrote:

Tiffany - Here's a Sony Support link on how to change your HDD on your PS (think  it has both versions on how to swap out the HDD: Changing HDD on a PS3). Hope that helps.

As for swapping out the HDD for a SSD on a 1st Gen fatty - which my preferred machine of choice - I'm sure there's a way to convert the format on the SSD to FAT32, which is what the drives on the 1st gen are formatted to. However, it is ill advised to use an SSD on a PS solely because even though SSDs are primarily used for stability of data access, SSDs are built to NOT be overwritten often, like normal HDDs. SSDs are great for OS storage (if you build multi disk computer units like I do irl) so long as you have a second HDD that gets overwritten more than the drive the OS is on (like other programs that have constant updates, any MS Office product for instance). That's this IT chica's two-cents though ...

Message 8 of 45 (4,123 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
588 posts

May 25, 2013

Thanks for the info! SSD are faster and I heard they go out fast if you constantly read/write to them, surprised they haven't overcome this barrier yet, it's been a few years since SSD drives debuted.

Quick question I hope someone can help me with. My PS3 fat went out and I was using a 250GB drive on that one. Got a 120GB Slim and tried putting my 250GB drive it, but I get an error telling me "no system software on this drive, download PS3 update, etc". How do I get my slim to recognize my 250GB drive? The 250GB drive is a Western Digital 2010 model.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 45 (4,105 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1747 posts

May 25, 2013

BurbeRy_TouCh420 wrote:

Thanks for the info! SSD are faster and I heard they go out fast if you constantly read/write to them, surprised they haven't overcome this barrier yet, it's been a few years since SSD drives debuted.

Quick question I hope someone can help me with. My PS3 fat went out and I was using a 250GB drive on that one. Got a 120GB Slim and tried putting my 250GB drive it, but I get an error telling me "no system software on this drive, download PS3 update, etc". How do I get my slim to recognize my 250GB drive? The 250GB drive is a Western Digital 2010 model.

Thanks!

To keep this topic on task, BurbeRy, I'll PM you some stuff about the switchover from your fatty to your slim. (ooh, sounds odd - Smiley Wink )

And yes, even though SSDs are great for the most part, because the PS constantly saves SOOO much information constantly (game saves, photos, movies, DLCs, Home cache, music, etc.), it writes to the drive more often than you think. SSDs have a shorter rewrite span than read span in the long run. OK, happy that you swapped over the drive, but even with the constant saving of the Home cache, say Hello to your new expensive paperweight. Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 45 (4,097 Views)
0 Likes