Survivor
2039 posts

Re: Swapped hard drive with SSD drive

May 25, 2013
Maybe im confused...but how does a bigger HDD make Home run faster? They put all our saves and stuff on their servers a while back. Nothing Home related is on your HDD. If Home runs slow, its gonna be because of 2 things: Your net connection...and Sony's servers.The days of Home saves, settings and script files being saved to your HDD are long gone. So in theory...having a bigger and better HDD shouldnt really matter when it comes to Home.

Am I wrong, anyone?
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 11 of 45 (534 Views)
Fender Bender
1747 posts

[ Edited ]
May 25, 2013

Shadow-Runner wrote:
Maybe im confused...but how does a bigger HDD make Home run faster? They put all our saves and stuff on their servers a while back. Nothing Home related is on your HDD. If Home runs slow, its gonna be because of 2 things: Your net connection...and Sony's servers.The days of Home saves, settings and script files being saved to your HDD are long gone. So in theory...having a bigger and better HDD shouldnt really matter when it comes to Home.

Am I wrong, anyone?

SSDs have a faster load time, and what's loading on, and in this case, the SSD for Home is the Home cache (the places your avi visited recently, what you wore recently). The drive acts are a temporary memory buffer (as it were) of the things you see on your screen (on your avi, in your environment) ... but you are absolutely correct in that Sony now has the Long term save files and settings (the server side) ... but now, the HDD/SSD acts as the virtual memory of only what is accessed at that moment or fairly recently  (the client side).

And s'ok Shadow - server/client networks can be confusing ... Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 45 (531 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
892 posts

May 25, 2013
So goddess, does this mean if I reduce my Home cache setting, I could get load times to speed up? I always have had it set to the largest, as I thought that would make it more convenient/faster. Now I'm second guessing myself.
Message 13 of 45 (524 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2039 posts

May 25, 2013
Interesting. Learn somethin new every day. Thanks again, goddessbunny. ^_^
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 14 of 45 (522 Views)
Fender Bender
1747 posts

May 25, 2013

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:
So goddess, does this mean if I reduce my Home cache setting, I could get load times to speed up? I always have had it set to the largest, as I thought that would make it more convenient/faster. Now I'm second guessing myself.

OK, Joyce ... the real answer is .. yes... and no. If you had your cache set for the smallest amount, 3GB,  it will def. reduce the load time as the drive only reads 3GB of temporary space vs. 12GB of temporary space. The part that is a drag is when you now have to acces another space that you have recently visited, but had now been rewitten by the other newer places you've visited or items you've worn. The drive now has to download that space/outfit in your smaller cache vs. it having been already accessed and STILL in your temporary memory (cache) if the cache size is larger.

The question now become which evil will you want to suffer through ... locating/loading lag time because your have the stuff already in your largest cache (12 GB) OR constant downloading of newer stuff on your smallest cache (3GB)? That's for you to decide ..

For me, I chose leaving my Home cache on the largest cache size (saves on the writing head as well). But that's me ...Smiley Very Happy

Hoped that answered your question ... didn't mean to sound so cryptic.

Message 15 of 45 (516 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
385 posts

May 25, 2013

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:

A larger cache is always better and it speeds things up! If the cache is small, then less data is stored in the cache and so Home has to load more data from the network (which is always slower then your HD).

The trick with the SSD lies in the speed of the drive. The SSD is much faster than a regular mechanical HD. Your cache is on your HD (or SSD) and so you have a speed advantage when Home can use the cache instead of the internet. When the cache is on a SSD then it makes things even faster. That's what I see on my PS3.

Even though SSDs have less write cycles compared to a mechanical HD, the SSD will not die as fast as some in this thread make it look like.

Message 16 of 45 (515 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
892 posts

May 25, 2013
Thanks Hotchick! Very interesting-and helpful.

Definitely makes me want to swap out, except for the fact that I'm a HUGE hardware baby, and hate messing with it at all. I just upgraded my external hard drives on my computer to larger ones, and even doing that, I was whining the whole time. Smiley Very Happy

I'm now trying to figure out how soon I upgrade to PS4, and want to see if any of my loading issues for Home will be solved by it. I'd rather just upgrade to a whole new machine than mess with an old one, honestly. I want to see what they do with backwards-compatibility. I need a huge HD because I have so many PSN games, and have a stack of PS3 games unplayed yet as well. And the more time I screw around in Home, the bigger the backlog seems to get, lol.
Message 17 of 45 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
582 posts

[ Edited ]
May 25, 2013

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:

Definitely makes me want to swap out, except for the fact that I'm a HUGE hardware baby, and hate messing with it at all. I just upgraded my external hard drives on my computer to larger ones, and even doing that, I was whining the whole time. Smiley Very Happy

I'm now trying to figure out how soon I upgrade to PS4, and want to see if any of my loading issues for Home will be solved by it. I'd rather just upgrade to a whole new machine than mess with an old one, honestly. I want to see what they do with backwards-compatibility. I need a huge HD because I have so many PSN games, and have a stack of PS3 games unplayed yet as well. And the more time I screw around in Home, the bigger the backlog seems to get, lol.
PS4 will not be backwards compatible at all apparently because of different CPU and operating system architecture. The only way games from PS1/PS2/PS3 will be playable will be through the cloud streaming subscription service Sony is developing which carries its own problems/costs as well as benefits. If you want to start fresh, I'd recommend just buying another backup PS3, preferably a slim (rather than super slim) if you can find one somewhere.
I also recently got my very first SSD which I plan to use with Home in my backup PS3. The limited write life is a concern, as is the lack of PS3's ability to do maintenace stuff like trim, however I am hopeful that only using it frequently with Home will put limited strain on the device. Goodness knows, even using a SSD drive to house just an OS would still see daily writes of caches as well as internet updates... if a SSD can be used to reliably house an OS I'm sure it will be able to handle little old Home for the next few years that Home remains operational. It may go kaput on me eventually, but will be fun to try in the meantime (need for speed and all that).

P.S. If you have a 1080p capable screen, ALWAYS keep your cache at the maximum amount (12 GB) - it allows Home to operate at 1080 resolution. I have no idea why, but it does. Possibly because it makes room for higher res textures.
Message 18 of 45 (497 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1747 posts

May 25, 2013

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:

My understanding, from constantly reading the trades, is that there is no *sniff* backwards-compatiblity on the PS4. Sony will, however, offer  previously PS3-released games via the PSN. As that backlog builds (yep, I know the feeling - lol), I am babying my 1st gen box because some of the stuff Sony will offer won't be ported over ... and they're good games on the PSX and PS2.

I'm not looking forward to owning yet another console in my house tho ... time to look for yet a newer modular entertainment rack system ... *sigh* Smiley Tongue

Message 19 of 45 (495 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1667 posts

May 25, 2013

Its all about the ports. The controller card that runs the HDD//SSD, I am not sure what kind of controller cards are in the PS3 but if its slower then what todays PC's are then the PS3 isn't going to see that much of an improvement in terms of speeds.

Again it all depends on what kind of controller card the PS3 has and how fast it is.

Message 20 of 45 (473 Views)