Sackboy
385 posts

Re: Swapped hard drive with SSD drive

May 26, 2013

DCS-Tekken wrote:

goddessbunny42 wrote:

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:
So goddess, does this mean if I reduce my Home cache setting, I could get load times to speed up? I always have had it set to the largest, as I thought that would make it more convenient/faster. Now I'm second guessing myself.

OK, Joyce ... the real answer is .. yes... and no. If you had your cache set for the smallest amount, 3GB,  it will def. reduce the load time as the drive only reads 3GB of temporary space vs. 12GB of temporary space. The part that is a drag is when you now have to acces another space that you have recently visited, but had now been rewitten by the other newer places you've visited or items you've worn. The drive now has to download that space/outfit in your smaller cache vs. it having been already accessed and STILL in your temporary memory (cache) if the cache size is larger.

The question now become which evil will you want to suffer through ... locating/loading lag time because your have the stuff already in your largest cache (12 GB) OR constant downloading of newer stuff on your smallest cache (3GB)? That's for you to decide ..

For me, I chose leaving my Home cache on the largest cache size (saves on the writing head as well). But that's me ...:smileyvery-happy:

Hoped that answered your question ... didn't mean to sound so cryptic.

This data is all that is on our HDD's now i'm very surprised they didn't move that data to ONLINE servers as well. That way there be nothing to read from our HDD's!   Make it happen SONY!

:smileywink:

Oh no!!! That would be a disaster and it would slow everything dramatically down. Even the oldest HD is ALWAYS faster than any kind of internet connection.

Message 31 of 45 (263 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1523 posts

May 26, 2013
I'm gonna get one of the Seagate hybrids :smileyhappy:
Goodbye home
Message 32 of 45 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
385 posts

May 26, 2013

Bradley_Davis129 wrote:
I'm gonna get one of the Seagate hybrids :smileyhappy:

Let us know how Home works with the Seagate Hybrid. I got the 750GB Seagate Hybrid in my MacBook Pro and I'm very happy with it. Great HD and very fast.

Message 33 of 45 (242 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
676 posts

[ Edited ]
May 30, 2013

I upgraded to a Seagate hybrid a couple years back and the difference was night and day, everything loaded twice as fast. I imagine a SSD would be even faster than that.

They moved many things to the server, but should still be much quicker with anything cached. I notice my HDD going constantly in the wardrobe so this still benefits from upgrading.

Message 34 of 45 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
621 posts

May 28, 2013

HotChick955 wrote:

I want to share my new experience with my new SSD drive with you.

Yesterday I've swapped my original PS3 hard drive (500GB original drive that came along with the PS3) with a new Intel SSD drive (120 GB, $149.00). The whole PS3 is not MUCH faster in every which way. This is where I see the improvement:

- Home loads faster

- Wardrobe and Furniture items load practically immediately. I don't see the loading-dots anymore. The preview pix show up right away.

- Inventory items load ultra fast. When I go into the Inventory menu, all the items show up right away. With the "old" hard drive (500GB original HD) it took 5-10 seconds to load the items. With the SSD it's immediate.

- When I go to a public space, all the ghosts load into the regular appearance within seconds.

It's a joy!

Hot Chick (or anyone with techie knowledge!):

Either from experience OR "guess", do you have any indication if the use of a SSD drive would do anything to mitigate getting "frozen" in Home?

At least with the "old" freeze glitch, it occurred because the merged clothing overwhelmed the console. But if  the SSD loads that fast, MAYBE it's fast enough to handle a freeze.

Thanks for any insight.

Message 35 of 45 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4346 posts

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2013

superlatives wrote:

Either from experience OR "guess", do you have any indication if the use of a SSD drive would do anything to mitigate getting "frozen" in Home?

At least with the "old" freeze glitch, it occurred because the merged clothing overwhelmed the console. But if  the SSD loads that fast, MAYBE it's fast enough to handle a freeze.

Thanks for any insight.

My understanding of the freezing exploit is that the only way to be safe is to use the same DNS address as the person causing the freezing... Which I would not recommend as some DNS address are set up by hackers who use them to gather IP addresses for nefarious reasons.

I am fairly certain what type of HDD you have has absolutely nothing to do with getting your system frozen by this exploit, as the initial load times are still limited to the network and not your HDD - only when the data is in your cache would having a faster HDD help.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 36 of 45 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
621 posts

May 29, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

superlatives wrote:

Thanks for any insight.

My understanding of the freezing exploit is that the only way to be safe is to use the same DNS address as the person causing the freezing... Which I would not recommend as some DNS address are set up by hackers who use them to gather IP addresses for nefarious reasons.

I am fairly certain what type of HDD you have has absolutely nothing to do with getting your system frozen by this exploit, as the initial load times are still limited to the network and not your HDD - only when the data is in your cache would having a faster HDD help.

D-Nitrate:

Thanks for your input!

When I saw the observation of avatars loading almost instantly, I thought a SSD drive MAY be fast enough to "buffer" the merged outfits. And if that were the case, overcoming the freeze glitch would make buying a SSD drive a HIGH priority purchase.

Message 37 of 45 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
385 posts

May 29, 2013

superlatives wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

superlatives wrote:

Thanks for any insight.

D-Nitrate:

Thanks for your input!

When I saw the observation of avatars loading almost instantly, I thought a SSD drive MAY be fast enough to "buffer" the merged outfits. And if that were the case, overcoming the freeze glitch would make buying a SSD drive a HIGH priority purchase.

Even with the super fast SSD, I also got frozen. The hard drive did not help to get rid of (or at least limit) the freeze glitch.

Message 38 of 45 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
362 posts

May 30, 2013

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 39 of 45 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
362 posts

May 30, 2013

goddessbunny42 wrote:

DJ_Tiffany wrote:
That is great to know!! Do you have the Fatty or the Slim. How do you access the HD on the Slim?

Tiffany - Here's a Sony Support link on how to change your HDD on your PS (think  it has both versions on how to swap out the HDD: Changing HDD on a PS3). Hope that helps.

As for swapping out the HDD for a SSD on a 1st Gen fatty - which my preferred machine of choice - I'm sure there's a way to convert the format on the SSD to FAT32, which is what the drives on the 1st gen are formatted to. However, it is ill advised to use an SSD on a PS solely because even though SSDs are primarily used for stability of data access, SSDs are built to NOT be overwritten often, like normal HDDs. SSDs are great for OS storage (if you build multi disk computer units like I do irl) so long as you have a second HDD that gets overwritten more than the drive the OS is on (like other programs that have constant updates, any MS Office product for instance). That's this IT chica's two-cents though ...

First I'd like to say congrats to the OP seeing they seem really happy about their upgrade, good luck with it. My only recommendation would be to also purchase an external HDD to back up your data, and you'll see why in a min..

@goddessbunny

Not sure were you got this info from but all PS3's no matter what Gen they are format the same way and its not FAT32. Only external Hard Drives or flash drives have to be formatted to FAT32 for the PS3 to recognize them.. You can take any HDD out of the box and have the PS3 format it without any problem. Not to mention you CAN NOT format the Hard Drive else where then put it into the PS3 and expect it to work. Also there are different format standards, (example a Windows FAT32 format will not work on a PS3). The Hard Drive has to be and can only be formatted by the PS3 it is being used in, one of the main reasons is that during the format process the Hard Drive is encrypted to that specific system, which is why you can not put a Hard Drive from one PS3 to another and have it read the data. The Hard Drive can only be read by the specific system it was formatted and encrypted to and that is the way it is with every single PS3 ever made. Other wise you have to reformat the Drive to the system you switch it to, in the process loosing all data on the drive. The only way to ever recover the data is if you had an external back up of it, other wise it will be gone forever.

Also it seems that you have bought into many of the unfounded myths of SSD's without really doing any research on the matter. There have been many ppl that have done endurance torture tests on the drives to find out that most myths have been extremely wrong about SSDs.. Here are 2 pieces of info for anyone here to check out, its all highly geek talk so you may not understand it all LOL..

SSD Lifetime Estimation
NANDMLC—3K P/E CyclesTLC—1K P/E Cycles
NAND Capacity128GiB256GiB128GiB256GiB
Writes per Day10GiB10GiB10GiB10GiB
Write Amplification3x3x3x3x
Total Estimated Lifespan35.0 years70.1 years11.7 years23.4 years

And here is a link to a forum that has a group of people that have been running torture tests on SSDs for the last 2 years or so.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Message 40 of 45 (129 Views)
0 Likes