Ghost of Sparta
9504 posts

Re: What Went Wrong With Home?

Apr 1, 2013
Hi Jim I used to value your input on Home matters and lurked your posts pretty hard man. I remember you as a champion for the good in this community and remember when you said your goodbyes. You left at a good time my friend. I am unfortuneatly a gullible wishful thinking person who chose to stick by this program only to be let down in the best cases and disgusted in the worst. Home is alive, well and kicking currently but I think for those of us that remember the beginning, it has been dead for a while.
Support Forums
Message 71 of 111 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
189 posts

Apr 1, 2013
I think not having any user created content. SL and imvu have dev kits so users can make and sell their own items. I know the bad that can come fromthese though.. that's why I believe home devs should have more idea contests. (Of course the submission of something made through a dev kit could be put through to Sony to accept as appropriate first.) The main reason I love user created content is you could make unique items for yourself and seeing everyone in public with a unique style. Another thing that went wrong is at some point game devs stopped supporting Home.. personally I don't use gaming outfits but others love it! Third could be that until recently we started getting more interactive games/furn. But before that.. it was very boring. It may have turned off people and they haven't looked into home since then.. thinking it was still boring.. And lastly, there should be a rewards program for plus users. Not silly hair color options.. getting 1 - 2 % back on purchases and monthly surveys awarding points.
(Hello wall of text.. Smiley Tongue)

(*≧▽≦) ♪ One Night Carnival! ☆(≧▽≦*)
http://pandakneesocksxiv.tumblr.com/

Message 72 of 111 (260 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Apr 1, 2013

Pandaachan wrote:
I think not having any user created content. SL and imvu have dev kits so users can make and sell their own items. I know the bad that can come fromthese though.. that's why I believe home devs should have more idea contests. (Of course the submission of something made through a dev kit could be put through to Sony to accept as appropriate first.) The main reason I love user created content is you could make unique items for yourself and seeing everyone in public with a unique style. Another thing that went wrong is at some point game devs stopped supporting Home.. personally I don't use gaming outfits but others love it! Third could be that until recently we started getting more interactive games/furn. But before that.. it was very boring. It may have turned off people and they haven't looked into home since then.. thinking it was still boring.. And lastly, there should be a rewards program for plus users. Not silly hair color options.. getting 1 - 2 % back on purchases and monthly surveys awarding points.

If you can make anything you want who would ever buy from you?

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Message 73 of 111 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
189 posts

Apr 1, 2013
@KingofHearts; True. But any dev kit I've seen has either been hard to use or mainly a source for making your own re skins. The dev kit could also be something purchasable. And you wouldn't be able to make your own mesh, unless you are an awesome 3D artist. I suppose me and my friends get tired of waiting for our subculture (Victorian, Victorian Gothic fashion) to finally get something related.. only for it to be a color we may not like..
Home devs atm do a decent job of listening to the suggestions forum but.. maybe some people just want to share their creativity with others but are unsure of how?

(*≧▽≦) ♪ One Night Carnival! ☆(≧▽≦*)
http://pandakneesocksxiv.tumblr.com/

Message 74 of 111 (213 Views)
Fender Bender
3241 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 2, 2013

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

What went wrong with Home.

That was a question that was brought up when things went slightly off topic in another thread.

I guess you will get a as many answers as there are opinion on what went wrong with Home.

Some will say there is nothing wrong with Home other then the occasional hiccup.

Some will say its an abomination to the gaming community.

Whatever your feelings about Home is yours and yours alone.

To me Home is like an episode with new content every week, like a TV series that I enjoy and will enjoy until it gets cancelled.

I also think it will be around a few more years because lets face it, enough people use and and buy things.

So lets delve into not so much what is wrong with Home, but what Home should've been.

First of all they should've made Home game exclusive only,  no central plaza, no mall no bowling alley, the concept of getting gamers together should have been about the games.

They should have made spaces for Sony exclusive games only to start with - I am going to use God of War as an example.

The God of War space would've had its own central plaza or hub if you will, anyone would be able to go there and look at the advertisements for the game. But only people who bought the game would be able to go past a certain barrier,,, Its only fair, you bought the game,  you can see what lies behind the big gold door.

Now say you bought the game, you would have the ability to buy generic costumes from  in space shops  but say if you beat the game on any setting you get as prizes more advanced costumes and weapons to wear on your avatar. That would motivate others to try and beat the game.

Now say you platinum the game, you get a big trophy room on the top of mount Olympus and the biggest baddies costume in God of War village and the ghost companions of every boss you vanquished.

OK now I know a lot of you are going to say, that's no feasible... And to you I say,,, Well they did it with the RE space, you couldn't go into the back of the butcher shop unless you passed a certain level of RE 5.

Anyway in my humble opinion that's what went wrong with Home, they didn't think it through, they thought if they tossed in a few cracker jack prize costumes and trinkets for games that was good enough. 

If Home was meant for gamers to meet up, then put the gamers in an environment they understand and can get behind, Sony had a chance to make Home or something the equivalent of Home into the ultimate bragging right in the gaming industry... Could you imagine when a friend or family member said, "I got a costume for my avatar on Xbox when I bought Tomb Raider," you could say, "Really, Well I unlocked Lara Crofts mansion for beating the game complete with trophy room - get a PS3 and I'll let you run around the maze outside of her mansion if you want."

Like I said that's my opinion on what they should have done with Home, but now that I look back my vision wouldn't be Home at all - it would just be an ever evolving selection of game hubs where people who liked certain games could costume up and meet and brag about Sonys awesome games.

I disagree solely because of Jack's stated vision of Home had nothing to do with your perception of how it should have been exclusive to gaming.

Jack envisioned an entire growing community free to travel and experience Home in different ways and means. Gaming being just one part of it.

While I could do without all of the "fantasy elements" in Home, I'm sure there are tons of people who embrace it.

I'm not much for anime either, but again..there's an anime space and an anime line out so Home is indeed growing, but its expanding in content and not as a platform.

As far as what happened to Home, when Jack left so did a piece of Home and its fairly obvious. Tonight I decided to do a casual trophy comparison of the people in my frends list.

On average the highest level of trophy collections were barely passed level 6 (yet these same people own nearly everything Home has sold within the last 2 years).

The concept of Home is something entirely different from the mainstream gaming foundation it is believed to have originated from, simply because it allows us to be in the digital world with our avatars.

Also lets keep in mind everyone is NOT a Laura Croft or Max Payne fan. Even though I own the new Tomb Raider, I would hate for it to be dictated that a Tomb Raider space is implemented in Home before  BioShock Infinite or Madden13 space would be. But on the flip side of that coin I also strongly believe that if we digitally purchase these same games then PlayStation Home rewards should be included in the DLC price. Thats a no brainer.

But as far as what happened to Home ?

Nothing...absolutely nothing. It simply spread its roots in different directions and as a result we now have more junk content each week but less overall growth.

Message 75 of 111 (193 Views)
Last Guardian
10878 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 2, 2013

smokingpistol wrote:
Hi Jim I used to value your input on Home matters and lurked your posts pretty hard man. I remember you as a champion for the good in this community and remember when you said your goodbyes. You left at a good time my friend. I am unfortuneatly a gullible wishful thinking person who chose to stick by this program only to be let down in the best cases and disgusted in the worst. Home is alive, well and kicking currently but I think for those of us that remember the beginning, it has been dead for a while.

Glad to see I still have a fan or two kicking around Smiley Happy 

Pandaachan wrote:

UCG is a tricky thing to do, and I don't know how well it would have suited Home honestly, and I can't imagine how it would be implemented. I mean maybe a tool that lets you design a shirt with various pre-set images....but I imagine it would just end up rather lackluster. 

@Jim777PS
Message 76 of 111 (181 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Re: Went Went Wrong With Home?

Apr 2, 2013

@ stardustchampion: Yes that's the problem with Home it's killing itself.

Message 77 of 111 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4392 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 2, 2013

Where did Home go wrong?

Well that could take 5 years just to scratch the surface.

The obvious comes to mind.  A service in Beta since release, that charges money but has no official customer support.

Lack of dedicated management.

Lack of Sony supported growth.

But I think we could put it down to Lack of direction.  Right from the beginning.

Home was based on a brilliant idea.  A virtual world for gamers.  Something that would keep people using their PS3, when they were taking a break from playing games.

A sprawling city that existed inside the PSN, where people could go to meet, socialize, and shop, not just for digital trinkets, but for real items.  An entire life inside your PS3, that gave you the same freedom as the real world.

A bold vision to say the least.  A vision that got Phil Harrison excited, and those of us who could picture it with him, we got excited as well.  The biggest problem was that Phil didn't really know how to pull it off.  And the big brains at Sony he relied on to figure it out, didn't really share this vision.

So what did we get?

A 3D avatar system that was only ever half finished.  It never did what Phil had originally intended.  Then the only hope for achieving that evaporated when Phil left Sony.

Then the company was stuck with this thing that cost millions to develop, and no one knew what to do with.

So they did whatever they could to try to squeeze some money out of it.  And when they found something that worked, they made it bigger, stronger, prettier, and then proceeded to beat it to death.  Much like is done with every profitable entertainment idea.

The original idea for Home that Phil gave us, that potential we all saw, never came to be.  It was never given the chance to even try.

Home could have been the ultimate virtual world.  Where you went to meet your friends at the bowling alley to catch up, and then maybe decide to jump into a multilayer game properly, already in your clan.

Or maybe all go to someone's digital pad, and watch a movie together while you discuss it in real time.  Not unlike the Facebook tie ins to Netflix right now.

Or go to the mall, and buy some game related items.  Not just digital t shirts, but perhaps digital versions of actual games, or real items.

Stores who had seamless integrated portals to their own web stores, like Game Stop, or Best Buy not unlike various shopping apps we have today.

These stores paying Sony for the privileged of having access to their online market focused demographic.  Not unlike the app store of today.

You see where this was supposed to go.  These concepts have proven out to be money making hits, that others have adopted.  Phil and his team just put the spin of having the user interface between all these services being a virtual world you walk around in.  Because what can be simpler to understand from a UI perspective then walking to the mall to buy something.

They were ahead of their time, and, unfortunately, didn't really have the backing of the rest of the company to support this very forward thinking vision.

So basically, Home was gimped.  It was gimped before it ever got out of the gate.  To me, that is why Home failed.

Now, it is a distraction at best, when it was intended to be the center of the Sony entertainment experience, the Hub, of your digital life.

Had it actually achieved this, we wouldn't be wondering if Home will be on the PS4.  The PS4 would have been designed around Home.

Be One With The Game.

Message 78 of 111 (141 Views)
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Apr 2, 2013

@The Sarge

Brilliantly said

@Jim777PS
Message 79 of 111 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
9504 posts

Apr 2, 2013
Sarge I cant always say I agree with your posts, but yes you hit that nail on the head.
Home was to be the be all end all Playstation gaming experience and now you'd be hard pressed to even find ANY licensed game items stateside on our servers. It is mind boggling and when I hear users state here in the forums that they dont want/nor need game content it makes me cringe. The whole modus operandi has been shifted too many times over and we now have the byproduct of such a shuffle.. A mish mash of many unfulfilled ideas and hopes. Its a museum and mausoleum for the ideas of the thousands of creative people who helped create what we have now. Take your pictures is all I will say. It sucks not having them to remember the times when all is said and done.
Support Forums
Message 80 of 111 (122 Views)
0 Likes