Highlighted
Aug 01 2010
By: Jim777 Last Guardian 10878 posts

What happens to the money spent on Home after Home?

63 replies 288 views Edited Aug 1, 2010

So one issue people have when it comes to online games and services when it comes to spending money, is that to them it feels like your wasting money on something thats not tangible. However i found this artical about an online game that was shutting down:

You know that social game you’ve been working on so hard? Spending hours building up your account, maybe even buying a virtual item here or there to help you advance in the game? It sure would be a shame if there was something to happen to your account like the game being shut down by the company behind it, but everyone knows that could never happen.

… oh, wait a minute.

Last Thursday Zynga, the company behind FarmVille, announced that it will be shutting down its lesser known game Street Racing this coming Monday.

Apparently the company will be offering you virtual cash in other games for those that want it, but otherwise, well, you’re just out of luck.  If you follow the link above you’ll see the commentary of players of the game, and we’ll just warn you that none of it is anything you would want to say in polite company.

Looking at the stats of the game on Facebook, it had been liked by over 142 thousand people, and had nearly 424 thousand monthly users.  Compared to FarmVille this is small time, but a lot of games would dream of reaching these kinds of statistics.  Apparently it’s not good enough for Zynga in these heady days of these huge games that are being promoted at convenience stores, on real world produce and more.

I think a lot of the anger comes from a mixture of the fact that there is only five days notice, and the only compensation a player might receive is crdits for playing another game.  What if none of the other games hold any interest for the player?  They’ve incested time, energy and potentially money into a game that is being unceremoniously dropped without so much as a “sorry”.

If I was a player of these games, I’d be awfully cautious in investing any interest in another title from the company as you might findyourself with five days to say so long to it.

What say you?  Did Zynga handle this incorrectly?  Will it make you rethink playing games such as this?.

In a nutshell the company is taking any money you spent in that game and giving you credit for other games made by that same company. 

So do you think this might be a good idea for people who maybe have spent money in Home but want a refund? Or years down the line when Home shuts down? I know i have personally spent over $100 in Home, so it is a major investment. So what if i had an option to "trade in" an item for maybe 50% of what i paid? Say the gold suit"

Bought: $15

Return value: $7.50

Do you guys think this would be a good idea for Home? Would people buy more knowing that if something where to happen to Home they wouldnt be down quite so much cash? 

@Jim777PS
Message 1 of 64 (288 Views)
Splicer
90 posts

Re: What happens to the money spent on Home after Home?

Aug 1, 2010

The money we spend on home goes towards keeping the servers running and all that stuff

Message 2 of 64 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Aug 1, 2010

Desn't Sony already say no refunds? I wonder how much I have spent on Home altogether. It would be nice to recieve the money back, but it probably wouldn't happen if Home did close down in a few years.

Message 3 of 64 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Aug 1, 2010

If this closes you won't get a refund. If Home upgrades to a newer system we might get lucky and have our existing items updated or moved accross. Rather not repeat myself but in short every company that runs a virtual world and sells DLC first and foremost gets some legal team in to create preconditions that protect them.

Consider all the DLC and server side items you own to be an extended rental. With DLC most of the time you get the benefit of using it even after an online service closes. With server side items though that obviously wouldn't happen so they put conditions on every item (like the ones you see in Threads) so that every item, every transaction you make you agree that they own it, you have the right to use it, and on X network. They do give refunds occasionally but that's only if the stuff is faulty.

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 4 of 64 (288 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Aug 1, 2010

I don't think anyone (sane) expects a company to give back billions of dollars to its customers for optional premium content on a limited time service

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

@conrad_max

Message 5 of 64 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Aug 1, 2010

boy13gamer wrote:

The money we spend on home goes towards keeping the servers running and all that stuff

That's not the answer to his question. We know where it goes and whats it's for, he's asking what happens to our money if Home were to close down in a few years, you know? Like would we get it back, or would Sony keep it.

Message 6 of 64 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
90 posts

Aug 1, 2010

footballrule wrote:

boy13gamer wrote:

That's not te answer to his question. We know where it goes and whats it's for, he's asking what happens to our money if Home were to close down in a few years, you know? Like would we get it back, or would Sony keep it.

yeah we wouldnt get a refund it says we have the right to use it but sony still owns it

Message 7 of 64 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10878 posts

Aug 1, 2010

No i personally dont think that this would or really could happen, im just curious if you guys think its a good idea. It wouldnt be a true refund, rather some PSN Store credit. 

@Jim777PS
Message 8 of 64 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
364 posts

Aug 1, 2010

I agree with Joanna, Home is like going to the movies. I can stand in the lobby and chat with my friends for free, or I can voluntarily decide to pay to see a movie for more entertainment. I don't expect a refund when the movie is over, and I don't rage when a certain movie is no longer being shown anymore.

Message 9 of 64 (288 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4410 posts

Aug 1, 2010

Jim777 wrote:

No i personally dont think that this would or really could happen, im just curious if you guys think its a good idea. It wouldnt be a true refund, rather some PSN Store credit. 

Hypotheticly speaking if SCE or SoE release a new beta which would act as a "sequel" to Home, then sure I think virtual credits or just giving away all the beta stuff for free would be nice and not implausible. They gave everyone about 20-40 bucks worth of content for free in the closed beta here, after all. But as far as credit goes, no. Yes of course I'd like it but then we wouldn't see a PS5

@conrad_max

Message 10 of 64 (288 Views)
0 Likes