Hekseville Citizen
387 posts

Re: Would you give up more HDD space to have faster load times in HOME?

Aug 20, 2009

NJLurch87 wrote:

yes our request is gonna be answered with the home v1.3 update

we can choose to reserve 3, 5, 8, and 12 GBs on our HDD for home

im choosing 12GB

yes,  wow .... thats was fast!!!  We crack the whip Sony jumps.  

Message 31 of 38 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
753 posts

Aug 20, 2009

xxap wrote:

NJLurch87 wrote:

yes our request is gonna be answered with the home v1.3 update

we can choose to reserve 3, 5, 8, and 12 GBs on our HDD for home

im choosing 12GB

yes,  wow .... thats was fast!!!  We crack the whip Sony jumps.  

LOL

Kratos Sig By Trick

Message 32 of 38 (13 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1083 posts

Aug 20, 2009
I cant im down to my last 10 gigs it would be cool if this feature was optinal
I'm 45.7% smarter of the population
MY new test results say I'am now The Joker.The clown prince of Crime..

Click here to take the Super Villain Personality Test

Message 33 of 38 (13 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1061 posts

Aug 20, 2009

NJLurch87 wrote:

Lets face it home is a big waiting game most if not all the time. This never bothered me before because my friends and I never used home that much because it was boring (until recently that is). Home is starting to get bigger and bigger with spaces that are actually fun (buzz, siren, ea sports complex, etc). Im actually starting to spend money in home now (which i thought would never happen). I actually like going on home now, but I hate waiting for a bar to load before I can go anywhere. So I was wondering if anyone here would glady give up more hard drive space to have things pre-loaded already before you go on home. The only time you would have to download something is if a space has been recently updated. You would be able to zip right to spaces with little to no waiting. This would also make loading clothing, items, photos, etc. much faster. I understand that it's not possible to make things load instantly, but anything is faster than what we have now. Most of my friends including me have upgraded our hard drives, so space is not a problem.

So my question is: Would you give up more space on your hard drive to have things load faster? If so how much?

i still have almost 200gb's free so deffinitly id give up more, that options thet giving us in HOME 1.3 i will be selecting 12gb option, ive been saying this since last year and i am glad we are geting this choice, thanks and kudos to u SONY for that !
Message 34 of 38 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
483 posts

Aug 20, 2009
i would definetley give up some space for home i love home more than any other game right now
Message 35 of 38 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
753 posts

Aug 22, 2009

Junior5799 wrote:
I cant im down to my last 10 gigs it would be cool if this feature was optinal

it is optional

Kratos Sig By Trick

Message 36 of 38 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
43 posts

Aug 22, 2009

Yes, it would be nice to have a larger cache for Home.  Why not make it a configurable option?  That way, those with space can enable it and those without space can disable it or make the cache small.

Those of you saying it has nothing to do with load times obviously haven't a clue about the concept of local file caching to improve speed.  Web browsers do it, lots of Internet software incorporates some sort of a local caching scheme to minimize the network load.  It doesn't matter what your connection speed is if everyone is downloading something and saturating the Sony backbone and servers.  It's better to download data once and then keep it for local retrieval every time.  A hard drive is faster than an Internet connection and thus would speed up load times.

Heck, every type of software in existence today (I being a programmer myself) benefits from caching.  Most operating systems do it to speed up disk access by keeping a local copy of recent or near by data in RAM.  Modern OS' use caching to speed boot times etc.

When ever you have spare space on a faster medium, then use it for a cache.  I do it all the time to alieviate database load on software I write that gets fairly static data from databases.

Home would only benefit from local caching.

Message 37 of 38 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1767 posts

Aug 22, 2009

Hell yeah...you know what? I've become such an Avid home user...why?...I dunno...for no damn reason I wasted $40 or something on home already...I am even axious about the next damn update...it's no wonder you rarely find games to play online anymore...hence the gaming night events...

Seriously though!

I am pretty sure that if the rest of the oblivious world would surely enough end up selling their 360 stuff just to look cool and have a lot of friends...IN PlayStation® Home

Only at PlayStation everyone....

...My Hamster told me to!
Message 38 of 38 (13 Views)
0 Likes