Aug 08 2010
By: Jangaboo I Only Post Everything 1085 posts

slow devleopment of home on purpose conspiracy

24 replies 46 views Edited Aug 8, 2010

my conspiracy theory is they don't want to make home too good because people would spend more time in Home than actually buying video games

Message 1 of 25 (46 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
764 posts

Re: slow devleopment of home on purpose conspiracy

Aug 8, 2010

Message 2 of 25 (46 Views)
Gaming Beast
1947 posts

Aug 8, 2010

Lmao far from it dude. Home is a social network, and from a business point of view, that makes it an advertisement medium. Facebook, Myspace, etc. blah blah blah, get major profits as advertising areas by generating more attention, making their ad-space very valueable. With that in mind, they advertise their own games and Sony products alot in Home, not to mention off-company ads that pay Sony such as LucasArts, so there is profit to be gained by growth, not downsizing. Since more people = more valuable ad-space.

The reason why Home is slow to get more things is because of the user base eating up what comes out as fast as it comes out. Think of it like Six Flags w/ the same rides for 10 years, when do amusment parks have big deals or new attractions? When people aren't coming in strong numbers anymore. Same applies here, people are dishing out en-mass for the 'meh' quality and ammount of items currently being dished out, so why make more? More would come if less was bought at the prices/rate they are now, but a strong demand for it still remained.

I don't budlist-add on forums, and blank PSN requests get ignored!
Missing Rewards -over a year old, still never fixed! 3-4 months worth of items still MIA.
Message 3 of 25 (46 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1238 posts

Aug 8, 2010

Jangaboo wrote:

my conspiracy theory is they don't want to make home too good because people would spend more time in Home than actually buying video games

Have you ever tried designing a game? I have and its not easy. There are a lot of details that need to be paid attention to. Home has a highly dedicated staff and design team. Basically, you don't just take a picture and BOOM, Darla's Den is complete. Home has many aspects and there is no way they can get to all of it at once. Home has improved immesely since I started using it back in May of 2009. Its has become more interactive, more social and more user friendly.

Right now, Home wold never be the same quality as a full disc based game because higher quality graphics with the massive amount of people on the servers would translate into insanely longer load times and more frequent system crashes. Home is and always will be a work in progress. The reason for this is the fact that the community keeps the developers busy with so many new ideas, that not even a programmng god would be able to create it in a day, a week, a month etc. Everything always has the capability to be better in someone elses eyes.

But it takes hard work and sheer dedication for these programmers to sit here and try to make us happy every week. Also, Home is a free service. FREE, which means that we have nothing to really complain about on that metter. Now I can understand compalining about something you paid for like a virtual item that isn't functioning correctly but to flat out say that Home is the way it is just because Sony wants to screw the world out of coolness is just plain messed up. But of course as usual, there is always someone out there that is never satisfied.

If there is something you want done in Home, suggest it. They actually listen. But to quote the immortal words of The Rolling Stones "You Can't Always Get What you want."

Message 4 of 25 (46 Views)
Lombax Warrior
244 posts

Aug 9, 2010

I hope you know a lot of people on these forums have spent enough money on home to buy at least 15 games! I highly doubt their trying to to make it less awesome to steer consumers into buying games.

Message 5 of 25 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Aug 9, 2010

Crazy-88 wrote:

Lmao far from it dude. Home is a social network, and from a business point of view, that makes it an advertisement medium. Facebook, Myspace, etc. blah blah blah, get major profits as advertising areas by generating more attention, making their ad-space very valueable. With that in mind, they advertise their own games and Sony products alot in Home, not to mention off-company ads that pay Sony such as LucasArts, so there is profit to be gained by growth, not downsizing. Since more people = more valuable ad-space.

The reason why Home is slow to get more things is because of the user base eating up what comes out as fast as it comes out. Think of it like Six Flags w/ the same rides for 10 years, when do amusment parks have big deals or new attractions? When people aren't coming in strong numbers anymore. Same applies here, people are dishing out en-mass for the 'meh' quality and ammount of items currently being dished out, so why make more? More would come if less was bought at the prices/rate they are now, but a strong demand for it still remained.

Is it REALLY that successful though. Sure the current citizens of Home are spending a TON of money for virtual content. But, the user base is a very small fraction of the PS3 install base. Considering how much people spend on Home, wouldn't it be wiser to bring more things to the application to attract a larger audience so more people can spend money instead of a few?

If the case is what you point out (which is logical I suppose) than I'd say those in charge of Home's development have some pretty flawed logic and TERRIBLE business sense. 

By bringing innovation and investing in it's frequent output is a win win for everyone. It increases the install base an potential profit from Home, makes it far more fun for users, and with a stronger install base, makes Home a great place for third parties to advertise and get the word out to even more people, and let's not forget that Home's unveiling in 2007 helped drive console sales. If Home reintroduced those innovations or came with new ones, we could even see Home help SCE in the console war. 

Message 6 of 25 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1947 posts

Aug 9, 2010

Amir29 wrote:

Is it REALLY that successful though. Sure the current citizens of Home are spending a TON of money for virtual content. But, the user base is a very small fraction of the PS3 install base. Considering how much people spend on Home, wouldn't it be wiser to bring more things to the application to attract a larger audience so more people can spend money instead of a few?

If the case is what you point out (which is logical I suppose) than I'd say those in charge of Home's development have some pretty flawed logic and TERRIBLE business sense. 

Bring innovation and investing in it's frequent output is a win win for everyone all around. It increases the install base an potential profit from Home, makes it far more fun for users, and with a stronger install base, makes Home a great place for third parties to advertise and get the word out to even more people.

Lmao Amir I'd hug ya dude, but can't here. Smiley Tongue It DOES suck. Business sense says 'supply and demand', yet of all digital mediums, they continue to raise prices for items, while other similiar designs are much cheaper. "Home is free" Does not apply when you have to pay for the console, it has advertising, and gets items at the price of $15 that are less elaborate than items made by 3rdparty developers.

Second Life, Maple Story, etc. etc. other 'free to play, pay for premium' ideas have much more innovation and availability, yet are much cheaper. But tell users on the forum here to buy less and make a point that the quality for the small quantity is a joke... and they rage. >.> I can smell the flaming already that's gonna come from this subject. lol

Missing Rewards -over a year old, still never fixed! 3-4 months worth of items still MIA.
Message 7 of 25 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
244 posts

Aug 9, 2010

I've never to fond of Second Life myself I've found it being to laggy and the frame rate was very low. Of course that might just be me I bet theirs some hardcore Second Lifers out their! Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 25 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5465 posts

Aug 9, 2010
No, if they made Home too good, more and more people would spend more time in Home, bringing money to Sony, rather than game developers.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 25 (46 Views)
Gaming Beast
1947 posts

Aug 9, 2010

TragicTakedown wrote:

I've never to fond of Second Life myself I've found it being to laggy and the frame rate was very low. Of course that might just be me I bet theirs some hardcore Second Lifers out their! Smiley Tongue

It depends on the PC u have. I know a few folks who are hardcore SL ppl, and also... look at the 'monthly fee' MMOs like WoW and FFXI, the graphics arent HD or something, but the content is MASSIVE and smooth. Home is lightly above the avg. bar of graphics, but many things are flawed. Notice a 'what were they thinking?' trend? Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 25 (46 Views)
0 Likes