Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Re: slow devleopment of home on purpose conspiracy

Aug 9, 2010

EdwCarnby wrote:

I have an opposing conspiracy theory. Me and Mr. Schnookems believe Jack Buser & co. are aliens from the planet Zongor wanting to make Home fun and profitable. Be afraid....of fun times ahead!! And compulsive shopping!!

I think I know where those men in black will be going first - lol 

Edw - PUT    -    THE    -    CONTROLLER    -     DOWN   

And step away slowly from the console

That goes for the cat Schnookems too!

JPConway

Message 21 of 25 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Aug 9, 2010
i really doubt that
Removed by admin due to inappropriate content.
Message 22 of 25 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Aug 9, 2010

Interesting theory, but Sony makes money either way, so that sort of shoots it in the foot. If you said, "Sony is developing Home slowly to keep from alienating third-party developers," it might hold some water. Precious little, but some.

I will point out that very, very few platforms offer weekly content updates from a development staff. Most platforms achieve their content flow through UGC, which varies wildly in quality. Sony's traveling a hard road with Home, and the devs do a good job keeping up with everything.

I do agree that a bit of a focus change is needed. For the first year of its existence, the strategy seemed to be all about virtual items. Keep different types of virtual items flowing, and you'll get different users to engage. I think we're at the edges of that strategy's success, so its time to start developing deeper content experiences to bring more people on board.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 23 of 25 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1427 posts

Aug 9, 2010

Aside from the ONE thing I see seriously crushing need for (see sig) IMO they need to make some level of additional investment in their back end (i.e. the way they serve up al this goodness). We all have gone though some serious lag issues in the latest space, the Cantina. It is actually kind of a smallish space... and yes it's getting visited a lot, but this is an indication they are running pretty close to max capacity of their server farm. 4 months ago, just amy small circle of friends, getting kicked was a rare occurrence, now it happens with a pretty big frequency. There have been times when it has taken me 1/2 hour to get stabilized in any way.

Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Aug 9, 2010

We had 60 folks in the Cantina the other night, and there were some lag bombs, plus very long load times for avatars.

People coming and going seemed to be the biggest source of lag. Haven't had the problem with getting kicked, fortunately.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 25 of 25 (19 Views)
0 Likes