Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 02 2012
By: jimmynet Gaming Beast 1927 posts

Restoring your PS3 File System & Database Helps to Maintain PS3 Stability

[ Edited ]
147 replies 479032 views Edited May 27, 2014

This obviously wont correct network errors but may improve system performance.. Hope it helps..

For those that don't know, the PS3 has an operating system capable of restoring damage to the hard drive's file system/database - these can get damaged when the PS3 is shut off completely (pulled the plug while playing/power outage), when a game crashes (RDR, Skyrim, GT5, PSHome, etc), or when the system hangs when trying to do something and you soft reset. (stuck in the PS3's underwhelming web browser, etc). In addition, if you install and delete many games, applications (Netflix, Hulu, PlayMemories, Qriocity, etc), even videos and music this can also fragment your hard drive, thus slowing down your system.

By restoring, you can get your hard drive to start loading and playing games more smoothly, which results in less freezing, faster data retrieval (think defragging), and can also speed up the time it takes to sync trophies (yeah, if it's taking you more than 2 minutes to sync trophies your HDD is in need of this maintenance).

What to do:

1.) Turn off PS3 so the red light is on.

2.) Hold and keep holding the power button. The console will turn on, and eventually turn off again.

3.) Once off, with the red light on again, press and hold the power button. You will hear one beep, another single beep after that, and then two beeps in a row. After the two beeps, let go of the power button so it doesn't turn off again and you'll end up in the system recovery menu.

From here there are a few options. Now this is important, "DO NOT CLICK ON 'RESTORE PS3 SYSTEM". That will wipe the hard drive clean. YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT.. 

What you want is the other two options:

A) "Rebuild Database"  which should be option 4 (this might take a little time be patient).

B) "Restore File System" which should be option 3 (your bootup code, restoring is almost instant). Again, "DO NOT CLICK ON 'RESTORE PS3 SYSTEM"

PLEASE NOTE:

These two options will not delete any content on your HDD, but it will nuke all your sent and received messages as well as music playlists you have, and if you edited track information on any mp3s, say you renamed them all to something less ambiguous than "track 01", the names and other altered data will revert. (seriously, get a keyboard) For any messages you want to save, I would suggest sending them to another account you have, then send them back later.

recovery_menu.jpg

Do this and you'll notice a significant improvement on your performance in proportion to how much you use the machine. Keep in mind that any hard drive intensive game like RDR, Skyrim, GT5, PSHome, PSN downloads, etc will make a mess of your hard drive over time, so restoring the database at least will tidy it up and reorganize files to faster access. If you have a 300gb hard drive and your drive is almost maxed out you're probably going to want to do this twice a month.

Also ONLY use a stock OEM Sony PS3 Contoller, others may not work.

If all else fails contact Playstation Support directly:  PSN Support

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear...

Message 1 of 148 (479,032 Views)
Splicer
60 posts

Re: Restoring your PS3 File System & Database Helps to Maintain PS3 Stability

Jul 16, 2012

this would explain why some games seem to get glitchier, laggier and buggier the more they are played.

(yes those are real words. Webster himself used them in letters to Funk & Wagnall)

I'm experiencing an increase of "lag" problems with my multiplayer ACR, the game is already messed up

for everyone, inconsistent and buggy, but it's near unplayable now, froze while loading. will this help with that?

and, i'd really hate to have to re-rename my pics and songs- which option effects those?

Message 2 of 148 (478,635 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Jul 16, 2012

Kudos for this informative post

Message 3 of 148 (478,627 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Jul 16, 2012
I've done this a few times but doesn't really solve the problem.
Message 4 of 148 (478,567 Views)
Survivor
1916 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 16, 2012

I rebuilt my system database a while ago when someone here recommended it. In over two years of using my console I had never done that. It did seem to help with the disconnect errors a lot. Anyone expecting zero disconnects... good luck. Home has never been that stable. Also when code is overwritten during updates, it can create some instability. So on Wednesdays I always clear my cache now. Home works 99% better for me now than just a few weeks ago. Sony also applied some fixes that have improved things somewhat.

Message 5 of 148 (478,563 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 1, 2012
Hey can u reply please?!? My ps3 was acting really slow and the XMB was lagging as well so I did the step and it worked it was a TINY bit faster, but than the next day I turned on my ps3 and it took 30 minutes to show something on the screen it was all black so I turned it off. And than I did a restart on it and it took 4 hours and nothing happend so I turn it off and went to the system recovery menu again to do option 3, and I did it at 6pm and right now it's 12:00am and it still says "preparing. Please wait"....., pls help me u guys!!!!
Message 6 of 148 (475,088 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1639 posts

Oct 2, 2012
Kudos Jimmynet, nice info...
Message 7 of 148 (474,995 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Nov 15, 2012
Kudos for the info. I managed to give my PS3 a new 500gb HDD. This info helped quite a lot and I thank you for it.
Message 8 of 148 (468,341 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 22, 2012

i want to know if i restore my ps3 where it deletes everything will it erase everything i bought like map packs and game ive downloaded from psn store

Message 9 of 148 (466,593 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
26120 posts

Nov 22, 2012

You will have to redownload them again. But you won't have to pay for them again. But bear in mind, we may only able to do this for a kimited number of times. Maybe five. Someone else can clarify.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Message 10 of 148 (466,589 Views)
0 Likes