Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Re: Grades Are In! Whats Your's? (n=60, mean=82.23, B-) UPDATED 6/26!

Jun 27, 2009

eastavenge wrote:

I dont know if this has crossed your mind, but you should totally do this over in EU, they i think wouldnt mind taking part in this, you could link them to here so they see how people rate and just like a guide, but it would be interesting to see

I totally think you should do that

I think this is a pretty decent idea east.  I will look into this and try to have something by Tuesday.

As for everything else... this is a great thread with great reads.  

Keep 'em coming guys and have a great weekend.

Thanks for everything.

Message 140 of 169 (2 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33035 posts

Jun 27, 2009

jiggyteddy wrote:

eastavenge wrote:

I dont know if this has crossed your mind, but you should totally do this over in EU, they i think wouldnt mind taking part in this, you could link them to here so they see how people rate and just like a guide, but it would be interesting to see

I think this is a pretty decent idea east.  I will look into this and try to have something by Tuesday.

Thanks for everything.

you should grade all 3 major Home regions(or get people from their region to grade) and then average out their grades into one big overall Home grade.

but you would need to make your grading curve higher. im asuming the Home average now would be a B/B+ and that would leave little to no margin for improvement and pretty much say that Home is near perfect.

Message 141 of 169 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5866 posts

Jun 28, 2009

the_original_se wrote:

jiggyteddy wrote:

eastavenge wrote:

Thanks for everything.

you should grade all 3 major Home regions(or get people from their region to grade) and then average out their grades into one big overall Home grade.

but you would need to make your grading curve higher. im asuming the Home average now would be a B/B+ and that would leave little to no margin for improvement and pretty much say that Home is near perfect.

Actually, there is four regions. The Asian Home (which people call the Hong Kong Home) and the Japan Home are not the same.

Message 142 of 169 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
479 posts

Re: Grades Are In! Whats Your's? (n=101, mean=81.45, B-) UPDATED 6/25!

Jun 28, 2009

JVBGFR wrote:

Kenshin71 wrote:

My grade for Home: F

I went into the PAL Home today after a long break, just to see what was new. After a long download that couldn't be done in the background I entered the same sterile environment as before but with less people. Every section had to be downloaded again and there were the same loading times between transitions, the same shut doors with the mysterious elevator to nowhere, the same pointless things I have no interest in buying, the same inane bird twittering and muzak.

Pretty sure Sony have realised Home is a failure and doesn't appeal to the vast majority of PS3 owners. It needs a complete overhaul. It should be a fluid experience, fun to explore and move from section to section, you walk down a pathway and find the RE5 zone, go up an elevator and find the Namco zone, walk into shops and lounges, DJ clubs, stuff like that.

Jiggy, I know you said not to do this, but I have to.
Kenshin71, you gave Home an F based off the PAL Home. Why? The PAL Home would be the European Home, not the North American Home, which I'm pretty sure is the one we're critiqueing here since this is the North American Home boards. Now if you're a European user, then I apologize, for that is the Home you should be going to and giving a critique for. If that is your native Home, then I don't believe the grade should be included unless Jiggy, you are including the other regions of Home as well.

Fair point, I'm not North American. If you want I can go into the NA Home, I'd still face the same downloads, the same slow transitions, the same sterile experience and lack of fluidity. Most of the criticisms I made apply equally to the NA Home. Ironically, one of my major gripes with Home as someone with a lot of international friends (US, Japanese, Aust., European) is the regional segmentation and disparity. Personally I think Home should fall under one international dev team, with the only different content across regions being architectural and product marketing, but that's for another thread.
Message 143 of 169 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Re: Grades Are In! Whats Your's? (n=101, mean=81.45, B-) UPDATED 6/25!

Jun 28, 2009

Kenshin71 wrote:

JVBGFR wrote:

Kenshin71 wrote:

My grade for Home: F

I went into the PAL Home today after a long break, just to see what was new. After a long download that couldn't be done in the background I entered the same sterile environment as before but with less people. Every section had to be downloaded again and there were the same loading times between transitions, the same shut doors with the mysterious elevator to nowhere, the same pointless things I have no interest in buying, the same inane bird twittering and muzak.

Pretty sure Sony have realised Home is a failure and doesn't appeal to the vast majority of PS3 owners. It needs a complete overhaul. It should be a fluid experience, fun to explore and move from section to section, you walk down a pathway and find the RE5 zone, go up an elevator and find the Namco zone, walk into shops and lounges, DJ clubs, stuff like that.

Jiggy, I know you said not to do this, but I have to.
Kenshin71, you gave Home an F based off the PAL Home. Why? The PAL Home would be the European Home, not the North American Home, which I'm pretty sure is the one we're critiqueing here since this is the North American Home boards. Now if you're a European user, then I apologize, for that is the Home you should be going to and giving a critique for. If that is your native Home, then I don't believe the grade should be included unless Jiggy, you are including the other regions of Home as well.

Fair point, I'm not North American. If you want I can go into the NA Home, I'd still face the same downloads, the same slow transitions, the same sterile experience and lack of fluidity. Most of the criticisms I made apply equally to the NA Home. Ironically, one of my major gripes with Home as someone with a lot of international friends (US, Japanese, Aust., European) is the regional segmentation and disparity. Personally I think Home should fall under one international dev team, with the only different content across regions being architectural and product marketing, but that's for another thread.

Indeed that is Kenshin.  Great points all around.

Message 144 of 169 (2 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
33035 posts

Jun 29, 2009

JVBGFR wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

jiggyteddy wrote:

eastavenge wrote:

Thanks for everything.

Actually, there is four regions. The Asian Home (which people call the Hong Kong Home) and the Japan Home are not the same.

i said all 3 MAJOR regions.

the Asia Home isnt a major region. NA, EU and JPN are the major ones.

Message 145 of 169 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5866 posts

Jun 29, 2009

the_original_se wrote:

JVBGFR wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

jiggyteddy wrote:

eastavenge wrote:

Thanks for everything.

i said all 3 MAJOR regions.

the Asia Home isnt a major region. NA, EU and JPN are the major ones.

Wells there is only four regions of Home in the world, so why not include Asia. 

Message 146 of 169 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Jun 29, 2009

C-

No Voice in public spaces.

No hard drive  access, video,music.

Mall still has no stores it didnt have in Cb.

Made Home 13+ instead of 18+.

Server instablity.

People being banned with no warnings. (not me)

Managers with Narcasistic Deity Complex.

No try on for clothing before purchase.

No region travel.

Waisted posts in suggestion thread never happen.

Game launching  not supported more.

Other regions getting content that should be USA .

Never a MOD when a female is being harassed , always one when some guy says 1 swear word.

Home crashes while checking out in mall.

Yeah C-

Message 147 of 169 (2 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
290 posts

Jun 29, 2009

We've received a boat load of new spaces, (personal & game related). 

-I really enjoy the EA Sports Complex and can't wait to see the end results of all their efforts.

-Xi added tons of content and intrigue to Home & I was thrilled to log on each day & use my brain in different ways.

-The personal spaces are just getting better and better.  I love the new furniture options.  To top it off, the Ghostbusters space is 3 floors!

Picture frames:

Yes, we had to pay for them.  Honestly, what did you expect?  They are probably the single most important addition to Home, yet.  What better

way to express yourself than through art?

Clothing releases this quarter have been all over the place.  We've gotten everything from too many t-shirts to suit & tie to game characters.  What

more can you ask for?  (The world, I guess.  There are still things that I would like to see, too.)

With the release of Dave Matthews Band at the Listen@Home... Sony, you have truely outdone yourself.  Thank you for that.  I actually heard that

song before my friend had a chance to, and he goes to at least four Dave shows each summer.

Over all, I must say, I've been challenged, thrilled, and generally pleased with Home this quarter.  My grade is a solid 'A'

Keep it coming.

Message 148 of 169 (2 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Updated through Post 150

Jun 29, 2009

This is the current data through post 150, n=68

Grade        Frequency            Numerical Equivalent

A+                 2                               (100-97)

A                   5                               (96.9-93)

A-                  3                               (92.9-90)

B+                  8                               (89.9-87)

B                    7                              (86.9-83)

B-                  15                              (82.9-80)

C+                 10                              (79.9-77)

C                    3                               (76.9-73)

C-                   5                              (72.9-70)

D+                  1                               (69.9-67)

D                    4                              (66.9-63)

D-                   4                              (62.9-60)

F                    1                               Below 60

n  =68

median  = B-

mode  =   B-

mean  =   5637/68  = 82.90

Some notes:

We had 8 more people added to this bringing the sample population size to 68!  My goal for this is to reach 100.  Not sure if I can make it... but would be nice.

median and mode remain unchanged.

The mean is sooooo close to a solid B right now...

Please keep the contributions coming guys, and thanks for participating!  Good clean fun here.

Message 149 of 169 (2 Views)
0 Likes