PlayStation MVP
3570 posts

Re: A fellow MVPs stance on "Trolling"

[ Edited ]
May 20, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:

Icinq wrote:

I think some of the MVP's on here act all high and mighty and that they are so above us and the trolls. But the thing is some of them use alt accounts to troll the forums. I've heard of quite a few of them doing that too. I know that some of them are also friends with some of the mods and don't get reprimanded if they do something wrong like the rest of us do.

Okay, let's restore some sanity to the thread. Fair enough, you and I have some criticisms of the current behavior of a few individuals with heightened responsibilities, but this is a forum not a courtroom. If you see anything that's too out of line report it. Or if you feel it's not a reportable offence but puts the program in a bad light then compile your evidence and forward it on to the Digital Platforms Manager.

Anyways. 

As I've said before...Everyone's guilty. :smileyhappy: look out for the ones who pretend to be the most innocent!

Something no one really brought up. Why did the OP of the thread have to say it was from a fellow MVP? Why couldn't they just say "About Trolling" or "My views on trolling"? If we are all supposed to be seen as equal that's really not selling it to me. Subconsciously I've seen a lot of them bring it up themselves before anyone's even brought that argument into discussion. Further more why should it be an argument?

Hello Everyone,

I'm never above anyone, I'm below nobody, I'm always beside everyone.  It's better to get the topic back on track.  The Original Post isn't asking to point fingers, It isn't saying to argue with one another, it isn't saying to build a case.  The Title on the Original Post is fine.  A fellow MVPs stance on "Trolling".  That is the title.

The MVP simply made a thread about trolling, and the Original Post writer simply wanted feedback about how we feel about trolling, what we think about trolling, should we tolerate trolling/bulling, at times should we encourage the behavior, and what our solution is for the situation.  The Original post is sharing a hyper link (Thread).  The thread is from a fellow MVP and his/her stance on the behavior.  The thread the MVP posted is about trolling.

So lets please forget all the pointing fingers and simple reply with what experiences and feedback we have about how we feel about trolling, what we think about trolling, should we tolerate trolling/bulling, at times should we encourage the behavior, and what our solution is for the situation.  Lets not bash one another by all means.  Lets only try to bring light to the table. and reply what the Original Post is asking.

[LINK] Fellow MVPs stance on 'Trolling" - There is having a good time, and there is being a Nuisance

-~CheetahJustice ︻╦╤─ - - - - ) ) )
Bambi-01us
Please use plain text.
Message 91 of 222 (337 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5290 posts

May 20, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

I have said it before and I will say it again.  We need to ban the words "troll"  and "perv" as hate crimes just like we do the "N" word and many others.   These words need to be replaced with the term "TOS Breaker".    To call anyone a troll or a perv is a subjective opinion unless they  are a TOS breaker.  If they are a TOS Breaker than so be it and punishment must begin.  If they are not a TOS Breaker than they have been called names that only the ignorant self righteous would say.    As Ronald Reagan and Pink Floyd once said Tear Down the Wall,  of hatefful words.  "I Have a Dream" that one day these words will one day vanish into thin air.  And when that day comes I hope that some will be big enough to admit they were wrong about what they did to my threads. I will always take the high road and accept apologies as long as they are sincere.

Please don't mention Pink Floyd and censorship in the same post. That just demonstrates that you haven't gotten anything they ever wrote.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Please use plain text.
Message 92 of 222 (278 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5290 posts

[ Edited ]
May 20, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

Jersquall wrote:

Icinq wrote:

I think some of the MVP's on here act all high and mighty and that they are so above us and the trolls. But the thing is some of them use alt accounts to troll the forums. I've heard of quite a few of them doing that too. I know that some of them are also friends with some of the mods and don't get reprimanded if they do something wrong like the rest of us do.

All hearsay unless you can prove it. Why not lead with facts to bolster your claim? See, We have ''heard'' this and that from many a disgruntled forum user but they almost always can't back it up. Of course some would lead others to put things in their mind. Doubt can be a powerful tool. That is why I will not believe anything like this without proof.

In a jury trial proof is not necessary for a conviction as long as there is enough circumstantial evidence that is believable and makes sense to a jury.  It does of course help to have a smoking gun or a body per se.  But what the heck its an imperfect world so dont try and make us uphold a perfect accusation.

Circumstantial evidence is not allowed in a court of law. Neither is hearsay. Just stating some useful facts here.

On the broader point, I can tell you how not to solve the problems here:

Take one group of users who have been elevated by management and set them against the rest of the community. Who thought this was a good idea? It simply encourages groupthink and an us versus them mentality on both sides.

MVPs should be disgusted that Sony wants them to act as forum police. Not your jobs. That's Sony's job, and they need to hire some moderators to do it properly, which they've lacked for about six months now.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:

Please use plain text.
Message 93 of 222 (252 Views)
Gaming Beast
1484 posts

May 20, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

I have said it before and I will say it again.  We need to ban the words "troll"  and "perv" as hate crimes just like we do the "N" word and many others.   These words need to be replaced with the term "TOS Breaker".    To call anyone a troll or a perv is a subjective opinion unless they  are a TOS breaker.  If they are a TOS Breaker than so be it and punishment must begin.  If they are not a TOS Breaker than they have been called names that only the ignorant self righteous would say.    As Ronald Reagan and Pink Floyd once said Tear Down the Wall,  of hatefful words.  "I Have a Dream" that one day these words will one day vanish into thin air.  And when that day comes I hope that some will be big enough to admit they were wrong about what they did to my threads. I will always take the high road and accept apologies as long as they are sincere.

Please don't mention Pink Floyd and censorship in the same post. That just demonstrates that you haven't gotten anything they ever wrote.

All in all your just another brick in the wall.  And for your information Syd Barrett used to hang out with Ron and Nancy and was instrumental in the creation of Just Say No.  Also helped inspire the song "Uncomfortably Numb" which became the theme song of the Just Say No Foundation. Censorship can be good or bad depending upon various factors.  George Orwell himself encouraged the prudent use of censorship in books such as 1984 and Animal Farm. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  And please stay on topic in the future.

Please use plain text.
Message 94 of 222 (339 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5290 posts

May 20, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

All in all your just another brick in the wall.  And for your information Syd Barrett used to hang out with Ron and Nancy and was instrumental in the creation of Just Say No.  Also helped inspire the song "Uncomfortably Numb" which became the theme song of the Just Say No Foundation. Censorship can be good or bad depending upon various factors.  George Orwell himself encouraged the prudent use of censorship in books such as 1984 and Animal Farm. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  And please stay on topic in the future.

You're completely out of your mind, right? Syd Barret was in a mental institution while Reagan was still fundraising for the GOP. And you've completely misread Orwell. If there's a pro-censorship message in his work, I'd love to know where that is. Syd also had nothing to do with Comfortably Numb.

You're more than entitled to your point of view, but you can't bend history to support it. I woudn't care if you weren't using people who are very famously opposed to censorship to mislead people. You've missed some pretty important stuff in Orwell and Pink Floyd.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:

Please use plain text.
Message 95 of 222 (327 Views)
Gaming Beast
1513 posts

May 20, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

Eric Arthur Blair would be rolling in his grave if he had to read nonsense like this.

“Its like Home is on life support but what does it need? A new kidney? Heart transplant? Its is too weak to even go [through] such a procedure? and worst off the doctors wont even talk to us ..... Is there anything we can do to keep Home alive?” - TSUNADE1224

Home is a great idea, but someone forgot to hire an experienced pilot to fly this plane. - MysticMur
Please use plain text.
Message 96 of 222 (318 Views)
Wastelander
252 posts

[ Edited ]
May 20, 2013
If you are a balanced person you will use your ps3, Home, a forum and videogames as a way to relax and have fun.

Im sorry but... if someone gets so concerned about forum posts, or thinks that a user with a red name is some sort of star, or gets stress by anything happening in Home, it may be a signal that that person should take a break and step away from the tv.

In Home like in this forum, people who try to bother disappear in a minute if you ignore them. Is it so difficult?
Please use plain text.
Message 97 of 222 (303 Views)
Gaming Beast
1484 posts

May 20, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

You're completely out of your mind, right? Syd Barret was in a mental institution while Reagan was still fundraising for the GOP. And you've completely misread Orwell. If there's a pro-censorship message in his work, I'd love to know where that is. Syd also had nothing to do with Comfortably Numb.

You're more than entitled to your point of view, but you can't bend history to support it. I woudn't care if you weren't using people who are very famously opposed to censorship to mislead people. You've missed some pretty important stuff in Orwell and Pink Floyd.

I do know this.  David Bowie wrote a song called "1984" and also "We Love You Big Brother".  Both off the LP   Diamond Dogs  Both songs warned of a future with no censorship that would result in Anarchy. I myself prefer censorship to anarchy.  I have always thought people should quit yelling the word "troll" everytime someone says something they don't like.  The word troll itself is a form of censorship. I say something and I am labeled a troll which is the same as censoring me.

Please use plain text.
Message 98 of 222 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1513 posts

May 20, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

I do know this.  David Bowie wrote a song called "1984" and also "We Love You Big Brother".  Both off the LP   Diamond Dogs  Both songs warned of a future with no censorship that would result in Anarchy. I myself prefer censorship to anarchy.  I have always thought people should quit yelling the word "troll" everytime someone says something they don't like.  The word troll itself is a form of censorship. I say something and I am labeled a troll which is the same as censoring me.

Do you even read what you write? You said you prefer censoring and then you said people shouldn't use the term troll because it IS censoring.

“Its like Home is on life support but what does it need? A new kidney? Heart transplant? Its is too weak to even go [through] such a procedure? and worst off the doctors wont even talk to us ..... Is there anything we can do to keep Home alive?” - TSUNADE1224

Home is a great idea, but someone forgot to hire an experienced pilot to fly this plane. - MysticMur
Please use plain text.
Message 99 of 222 (288 Views)
Gaming Beast
1484 posts

May 20, 2013

Lets also not forget the lessons learned from Joe Mcarthy who instead of calling people trolls would call them a communist.  Lives were ruined because this one guy would yell communist even if it were not true people believed it.   Substitute the word troll or perv for the word communist and were right back in the 1950's when Joe Mcarthy was doing whatever he wanted.  Its time we all admit that the words "troll" and "perv" are words of hate and need to be censored just like the "N" word or "F" word against gays.  An enlightened person does not name call.

Please use plain text.
Message 100 of 222 (399 Views)