Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Re: Censors going overboard

Jun 24, 2009

eastavenge wrote:

Glass, I have a question......

Seeing as you cannot see if you are censored yourself, and some words get wrongly censored, I wanted to ask, Can mods see threw the stars?, I mean I could say something, get censored, not know myself, and get punished if they can't see threw

Also, when you send a report, it sends the chat log right?, but whos, as yours yourself wont be censored, so it will have all the words none censored, where as others will have stars and will be censored, meaning the chat logs would be different, and if the opposite chat log gets sent, then how can they tell what you have said and if it is offensive?

Thats a very good question east. I had always wondered that same thing... kudos
Message 381 of 384 (26 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager
2875 posts

Jun 24, 2009

eastavenge wrote:

Seeing as you cannot see if you are censored yourself, and some words get wrongly censored, I wanted to ask, Can mods see threw the stars?, I mean I could say something, get censored, not know myself, and get punished if they can't see threw

Also, when you send a report, it sends the chat log right?, but whos, as yours yourself wont be censored, so it will have all the words none censored, where as others will have stars and will be censored, meaning the chat logs would be different, and if the opposite chat log gets sent, then how can they tell what you have said and if it is offensive?

Ah, your question wandered into the Forest of Mod Secrets. Yes, we can see what is really said and know when the filter is "tripped" on particular strings. This is one way that we discover when words or phrases trigger the ***stars**** when they shouldn't (so we can tweak the filter). We would never punish something that we weren't sure was an actual profane word. Without going into detail on the rest of your question of what we get in terms of the reports, just let me say: "Baby, we got you covered." :robottongue:

Message Edited by GlassWalls on 06-23-2009 06:59 PM
Message 382 of 384 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Jul 7, 2009
I agree this has to stop. Its one thing to block like the major bad words but everything this has to stop.
Message 383 of 384 (26 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
2875 posts

Jul 7, 2009

footballrule wrote:

eastavenge wrote:

Thats a very good question east. I had always wondered that same thing... kudos

Here's the deal:

If you get called out by a live Mod, you'll know if and when you step over the line. If you get dinged for a report that is submitted, you'll just get a Warning the first time via email. Basic cussing and verbal abuse is a Warning the first time. If you wander into hate speech (racism, sexism, other "isms") or worse, then you may get a suspension first off, but most of us already know that stuff is not acceptable. 

We do know what is actually said, including all the live Mods. We do not see **stars**, so don't worry about being reported incorrectly. As I said, we got that covered.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again—my best rule of thumb to remember is, "Just be cool." That should be pretty self-explanatory. If it's not, then re-read the user agreement that you all had to agree to (remember that thing you read in completion and for comprehension before being allowed to even enter Home? ). For a refresher, check it out: http://www.us.playstation.com/support/termsofuse paying special attention to the Code of Conduct (#7). None of this is up for debate, sorry... but I am always willing to listen.

Remember to just be cool, and it'll all be all right.

Message 384 of 384 (26 Views)