Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Re: DIY Racer

[ Edited ]
Apr 4, 2013

Yeah I give this overall design a thumbs down.

This was a waste of money and its off to the storage bin.

Trying to steer and accelerate/brake is retarded due to the way you are forced to navigate using your controller and its flat out slow.

Also for this to eat up 35 slots its just not worth removing furnishings from an already limited slot allotment.

I would advise any prospective buyers to see it first hand before investing in this.

Even the reward isnt worth the spit it would take me to cuss the game out with. How many leather zip up jackets do I need ?

Message 11 of 53 (391 Views)
Codeglue Developer
36 posts

Apr 4, 2013

Hi ILLUMIN-X,

Sorry to hear DIY Racer is not completely to your liking.

We are aware of some of the shortcomings. Especially the 35 slots it eats. This is to do with the performance the game asks from the system. We need to constantly correct Home's physic system which takes up a lot of processing power unfortunately. On the topic of  controls : we chose to use "real" RC controls, which is different of how most race games work. That seems tohave been the wrong decision. Maybe we can change that in an update? 

Cheers,

Peter

Message 12 of 53 (343 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
12118 posts

Apr 4, 2013

CodeglueUS wrote:

Hi ILLUMIN-X,

We are aware of some of the shortcomings. Especially the 35 slots it eats. This is to do with the performance the game asks from the system. We need to constantly correct Home's physic system which takes up a lot of processing power unfortunately. On the topic of  controls : we chose to use "real" RC controls, which is different of how most race games work. That seems tohave been the wrong decision. Maybe we can change that in an update? 

Cheers,

Peter

1. I hope Home actually announces on PS4. would be your solution
  2. Make RC controls (Classic) while Normal Racing Controls (default)
 photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 13 of 53 (326 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
3720 posts

Apr 4, 2013

CodeglueUS wrote:

Hi ILLUMIN-X,

Cheers,

Peter

Its always nice to know that Devs are listening and looking for feedback to improve on a product.

Contrary Serperior Now Available for U.S.
Quod dignum sit facere, dignum est farcere bene
#Live the game
Message 14 of 53 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
362 posts

Apr 4, 2013
I actually like the controls. The cars are a bit slow looking but anything faster would probably give me a headache with the way the camera works. I placed this in the free space from nDreams thinking it would be a great place for a circular track but the uneven floor makes it a horrible place to race.

I tried the Xi vertigo apt next and found it to be much better. It has the perfect shape for a really long race track. The angles where some areas connect don't work very well so I might try to put some ramp pieces there. I will probably work on a track today/tomorrow so if anyone wants to check this game as i tweak my track just send me an invite.
Hekseville Citizen
356 posts

Apr 4, 2013
So far the only rewards ive got are the leather jacket for playing once and a blue t shirt for doing a backflip (accidentally). Controls take a bit to get used to for sure.
Message 16 of 53 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Apr 4, 2013

Just takes a little practice to drive it.  Did a creepy race-course through my Gothic Cathedral, however much friends hasn't got cars to play -__-

Also, think about adding NOS boost on an update, from performing tricks!

stevedann19 wrote: Its not easy getting a real date IRL thats why i feel like burning down a church.
Message 17 of 53 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Apr 4, 2013

An update would be beyond appreciated.

As mentioned the concept is great, its just the clunky steering that provides itself to be a distraction from enjoying the full potential of the cars.

As far as the 35 slots, if thats out of your hands then its not much that could be said about it.

As far as I recall in Home, this is the only item that I'm aware of that occupies that many memory slots, so its probably smarter to place this in a personal space dedicated to racing only, and then furnish the track around it.

Thanks for listening and considering modifying the steering though, this is something more developers should adhere too,

CodeglueUS wrote:

Hi ILLUMIN-X,

Cheers,

Peter

Message 18 of 53 (254 Views)
I Only Post Everything
775 posts

Apr 4, 2013

thanks for your response on the matter . yes , an update to the controls would be great . perhaps the standard R2 for accelerate L2 for reverse . i think that would give the steering more control . it could also use just a little more power to jump ramps n such . perhaps add square button for barrel roll ? circle for backflip ? good luck . if you improve this game i'll definitley promote it amongst the forum users and my friends and group . 

HOMELINGS ROCK!!!!
Message 19 of 53 (228 Views)
Gaming Beast
1464 posts

Apr 4, 2013

CodeglueUS wrote:

Hi ILLUMIN-X,

Cheers,

Peter

Glad to see a post from the developer on this. I left a comment in the feedback thread, but I'll post again here. The use of "real" RC controls is a novelty concept that translates horribly in a virtual environment. This game is completely unplayable in it's current state, and I did not purchase it after trying it at a friend's.  

Simply make the controls and physics on par with normal racing games, and it's already a step in the right direction. I'd probably buy this if the controls become playable and fun, even with the 35 slots.

Just look at  RC Rally for an example of how the racing game controls should be. However, don't use physics like RC Rally's, they are abysmal. As others have already stated, the speed needs to improve as well. 

Going back to the 35 slots though, it is completely ridiculous. Minibots battlebox is far more complex, with spawning enemies and powerups, with lots of visual effects, but only takes 22 slots. So I'm sure this can be fixed in the future. 

Finally, the rewards are really awful. T-shirts aren't  rewards, they are inventory cloggers that will never be used and are avoided by many people (especially me) at all costs.

So I would suggest to add GOOD rewards, or don't add any at all, and take out the T-shirt. Here is a list of rewards that should be AVOIDED by all devs, at all times: 

-T-shirts 
-Hats/head items with default hair (full head coverings are fine)
-Anything with the game or company's logo on it
-SMALL furniture
-TINY pets
-"Hold square to boost" LMOs
-Active items taking more then 20 slots
-Wall hangings

I think DIY Racer could be great if these improvments are made. Otherwise, no sale :smileyfrustrated:

Message 20 of 53 (211 Views)