Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 19 2013
By: mikelep9054 Hekseville Citizen 359 posts

Good possibility for Home on PS4...

[ Edited ]
19 replies 423 views Edited Jun 19, 2013

IGN had an E3 interview with DUCO developers.  DUCO will carry over your progress and characters, and PS4 can play with PS3 friends, at launch.  Many of the PS4 updates to hud, customizing layout and other things, will be usable on PS3 if they can get the ok to do required memory allocation needs, within PS3 capabilities, from Sony.  Home could conceivably do exactly the same thing, now that all save data is on their servers.  

Home began development in 2005, PS3 launched in 2006, and Home went live in Dec. 2008.  3 yrs developing the already antiquaited at launch core and character making basics. 2 yrs after console launched before Home went live.  Home specificly for the PS4, will be a few years away, if there is one.  In the mean time, the core will be altered as needed to run on both.  Install base would have to get to a certain level, a few years after its launch, to warrant the viability of a PS4 only Home.

Spring to early summer has typically been slow for content, suddenly tying that to Home's future is irresponsible.  Developers making their own game, or branching into mobile or other directions has nothing necessarily to do with Home plans.  Diversity strengthens companies, and the stronger they are the more viable and the better their content will get.  Some may cross to directly enhance Home.  Home may support development of new directions content, and ideas.               

SCEA community managers, sr, jr, or generic, aren't as high up the chain of the inner workings or coding of home, or its future plans, as some have but hurt diva ranted that they are, or aspire to be.  So looking to them for answers beyond their scope or paygrade, is moot.  

If DUCO can do what the E3 interview said on IGN, PS3 and PS4 all play same game together.  Home and many others could and should also.  

(Interview on IGN was long, and mostly about DUCO on PS4) so i didnt link it directly on purpose.

Edit: Link to IGN interview of DUCO developers video, I referenced here.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/12/how-it-plays-on-ps4-dlc-8-details-dc-universe-online

Message 1 of 20 (423 Views)
Survivor
2035 posts

Re: Good possibility for Home on PS4...

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

So you're basing all this on the fact that DCUO will be ported to PS4?

It's great news, indeed. And yes, it would stand to reason that if they can do it for DCUO...then surely they can do it for Home, as well. But regardless of DCUO, Sony has the ability to put Home on the PS4 just based on hardware specs and the 8GB of RAM alone.

As far as reaching out to the actual people responsible for Home...that would be SCE London Studio. They founded Home. And it would stand to reason that there should be managers and CEO's who work there; who we can contact, regarding Home's future.

I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 2 of 20 (394 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1923 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Putting Home on PS4 would like building a whole new program for a new system. You can probably put it on xboxone as easily as PS4. PS4 is a completely different type of hardware next to the PS3.

It is possible to do. You can put Home on PS4, PC, Mac, XboxOne or even tablets (well soon). 

I don't believe Sony will spend the money to put PS4 for the sake of us. We are too small a group to justify hiring a team to build a new Home client for PS4. it would be like creating a new program from scratch.

But then I think it is possible. I think Home should diversify. It needs more users. More users means more sales and profits. By putting it on more systems, you will get more people spending money. So then why not?

Message 3 of 20 (367 Views)
Fender Bender
2879 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I plan to keep on playing Home as long as there is a Home. I hope it can port( after all, some game companies still make versions of their  older games playable on new systems) in some form, if not, I will stay on PS3 as long as I can.

Thanks Asuka424 for the Signature
Message 4 of 20 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Jun 19, 2013

As i watched the interview, how those exact same things could be carried over to Home and other things, and likely will, came to mind.  

This was addressing several threads, and the constant will home be on PS4, Home is ending, This developer is doing something else, and incesantly asking unqualified staff for answers. Manager, sr manager, or whatever their tags say today.  

The Home core team has never posted any information here directly, that I have seen.  SCEA "community management" basic effective communicating with them, and then informing us on much of anything, does not happen.  Granted they are based 8 time zones apart, which is no excuse, and lacks basic logic.  As UK 8 hr day ends, SCEA begins, little if any overlap.  Their biggest market getting sub par service, events, information, and 99.9% of the information that does land here, comes from users finding it posted on other regions, tweets, or other sources.  Simply posting the update information the day before, or even prior to home being up from maintenance, is too complex to "manage" effectively.     

Message 5 of 20 (341 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3668 posts

Jun 19, 2013

There had to been some sort of record of this interview?  Is there a link to this reading or interview?

-~CheetahJustice ︻╦╤─ - - - - ) ) )
Bambi-01us
Message 6 of 20 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I will look it up on IGN and link it in OP, didnt want it being about DUCO to have thread sent elsewhere.

Message 7 of 20 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2035 posts

Jun 19, 2013
The link you posted, is a 30 minute video...interviewing the SOE staff about DCUO in every aspect of it being ported to the PS4. I watched the whole video, and there was no mention of Home...the possibility of porting Home to the PS4, or Home's pending future on PS3 or possibly on PS4. This video, was entirely and exclusively about DCUO.

Im just wondering how you're making the connection between DCUO...and Home in reference to the video link you posted. Other than serving as a "proof of concept" suggesting that if DCUO can be ported to PS4, Home could possibly be ported to PS4 as well.

But....you didn't really have to reference DCUO to send that message. LOL
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 8 of 20 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Jun 19, 2013

I never said Home was referenced, or teased, or mentioned. It is not. IGN would not, they tend to dispise Home.  

Message 9 of 20 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2496 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

F1REFLY_SEREN1TY wrote:

Putting Home on PS4 would like building a whole new program for a new system. You can probably put it on xboxone as easily as PS4. PS4 is a completely different type of hardware next to the PS3.

You also have to wonder what approach developers would take with Home in the short term if it's available on the PS4 right away.  I'm not sure that they will have much incentive and maybe not even the resources to program content for both systems concurrently

Sure, the major gaming companies will release the big games on both systems for a few years.  Home content probably does not carry a high enough profit margin to justify supporting it on two systems.  I certainly do not know what programming this content entails but I know that companies like Lockwood and Granzella will not be able to double their workload to sustain a second Home.

Since I have no plans to buy a PS4 at launch, I tend to be of two minds here.  It might be better if Home does not appear on the PS4 until the cycle of the PS3 draws down.

castle3
Message 10 of 20 (222 Views)
0 Likes