Survivor
984 posts

Re: Home 1.80 Update - Some really promising new changes!

Apr 8, 2013

Nuh Huh !

That's what I am talkin' about !

Any improvement to Home is welcome. The forthcoming changes are a Cornucopia of bliss.

Wow ! is all I can say. . . ok, a few more . . Holy Moly! Sacre Blue ! Whoa! Mamma Mia !

Thank you, Home Team  :smileyhappy:

photo the_Lil.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 70 (410 Views)
Gaming Beast
1420 posts

Apr 8, 2013

ooOHinataOoo wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Home being down for twelve hours isn't because there's no apartment storage.

I was referring to how every time there's a client update, it  takes far longer for Home to come back online, between 10-12 hours at least. The patch notes said that the current patch will allow them to streamline the process, so hopefully this means that each time they implement fixes or new features (like apartment storage, if they ever do it) Home will be able to come online faster.

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 70 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6276 posts

Apr 8, 2013

New Features and Improvements   Improvements to Feature and Client Development

Significant changes have been made to the client to allow the development and release of future features without requiring a client update. 

This means that future client patches will be more focuses on bug fixing and stability while New Features will be delivered on an individual and more regular basis outside of a client update.

Developing features in this way means we can make changes and implement bug fixes much faster, potentially on a weekly basis rather than having to wait until the next client release.

As this is a big change to the client, we aren't including a headline feature with this update to ensure it is as smooth, clean and focused as possible. 

All of that is pretty good. I think most of us have been asking for things to get fixed, or even changes be made without waiting a month or longer for a patch to come around. This does seem like a good direction to go. Hopefully, it'll all pan out pay off in the end. 

New features based on the 1.80 technology will be released throughout the coming months. Here is an idea of some that are currently in development:

• More Item Types – Including portable items with gameplay features and new types of Locomotion objects. I was actually talking to a friend the other day about portables items being used as active items. Would be nice to see users using portable items or lmos to interact with each other.
  • Player Inspect – Allowing players to inspect other players, see what items they are wearing and where they got them. Cool feature, but I'm sure some people would enjoy a privacy when it comes to what they own and such. 
  • Improved Moderation – Providing enhanced tools to help Home moderators and admins provide a better service. I'll see it, when I believe it. I think the fact that it takes all this time to improve something, that should have already been doing well is kind of laughable. I mean, it's a good thing that they're at least trying. But, why so late with the improved moderation? Why also base it around features?
  • Improved Commerce Points – New systems to make the commerce process smoother and easier. Probably good for users who use commerce points, but with navigator shopping these days. Commerce points in lounges, are useless mostly.
  • Events – Supporting broader and more engaging social & gaming events within Home. Once again, this should have been something Sony Home team was continuing with these past few months or so. Yet, the team slacked off and was leaving it up to third parties for events. I'll believe this, when I see it too.
  • More use of server-side Save Data – Extending the range of save data now that it is kept on Home's servers. I'm not quite sure what this means, since I already thought our Home data was transfered over? At least the stuff that was important anyway.

General Improvements

• A feature has been added to allow developers to choose what emotes they with to use with specific outfits. This gives developers more freedom when creating outfits as they do not have to ensure that every default emote can work. This is nice, but with the rise LMOs. Emotes are better off being sold separately off custom preset outfits. 
  • Players you have interacted with as you journey through Home will be added to your Players Met list on the XMB. Pretty neat, I think this feature should have been added ages ago. Home, even though it's a social networking service. It also also has game features, and it should be treated as such when it comes to online interactivity.
  • It is now possible for the client to display user presence information on your Friends List that can show where or what you and your friends are playing while in Home. I may be a little off about this one, I'm hoping this feature is optional. Some users respect their privacy and don't like to bothered. This just gives any user on their friends list the tool to basically spy on them.
  • Developers can now specify specific spawn points for users that have been invited to a scene so that you will always appear in the right place. Spawn points are a big issue right now, most spaces either have too many spawn points. Or, the spawn points positioned in bad spots and don't benefit what the developer is trying to achieve. Would be nice to see better spawn points in games, or even allowing the user to choose their spawn point when entering a space or game.

Bug Fixes

• An issue with a specific Hair Color being reset has been fixed. I haven't had this issue, up until last night actually. My hair changed from blonde to black, after exiting Home and coming back on.
  • Remaining issues with the sorting of the Inventory have been addressed. I'm going to guess there's an issue with items reappearing as new, as well? I've been having this issue for 2 days, on my male avatar. I select it, but storage it because it's not new and I don't care for the item. Every new time I log back on, it's back in my main wardrobe as a new item. I hope this is one of the issues getting fixed.
  • Some cases of download and relocation to scenes taking longer than necessary have been fixed. What about these scene download errors? These are becoming an occurance now. They're quite annoying, especially if you want to hop somewhere else, but get stopped by this error saying.."Scene Download Error." This is only a new issue, it sparked up around the time the last patch was implimented.
  • A bug that caused problems accessing mini-games and using queues after a network error has been fixed. Yeah, this has been an issue my friends are dealing with right now. I personally haven't came across it, but it'll be nice to get it fixed.
  • Various additions have been made to make Home more tolerant of poor network conditions. This will help users who have slow connectiones and can't download as fast as some people can, who use more faster ISP's.
  • A number of other bug fixes and general stability improvements have been made. I know you always state this, but it would be nice to know what exactly are these other bug fixes and general stability improvents are? Doesn't hurt to ask.
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 70 (367 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29003 posts

Apr 8, 2013

Lil_The_Pill wrote:

Nuh Huh !

That's what I am talkin' about !

Any improvement to Home is welcome. The forthcoming changes are a Cornucopia of bliss.

Wow ! is all I can say. . . ok, a few more . . Holy Moly! Sacre Blue ! Whoa! Mamma Mia !

Thank you, Home Team  :smileyhappy:

That looks official! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 70 (366 Views)
Fender Bender
2933 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

This by far is the most important element ever put into any core update. Now they can fix bugs on the fly. This is the best foot forward for Home ever. The future of Home is now assured..

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Improvements to Feature and Client Development

Significant changes have been made to the client to allow the development and release of future features without requiring a client update.

This means that future client patches will be more focuses on bug fixing and stability while New Features will be delivered on an individual and more regular basis outside of a client update.

Developing features in this way means we can make changes and implement bug fixes much faster, potentially on a weekly basis rather than having to wait until the next client release.

As this is a big change to the client, we aren't including a headline feature with this update to ensure it is as smooth, clean and focused as possible. 

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 70 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 9, 2013

Hopefully several of the added process load things they are adding, don't make even more or different issues, with the so slow already pretty much everything.  

Many of the new features hopefully have privacy and toggle on / off, on user end settings. If the players met thing, collects name from chat log, or everyone on any space you visit, like some games do, i hope it has options too. Some dont want that, or want portions. Now when you have to block a troll creep perv, or whoever, an option may be to use it.

Most of all their patch notes are extremely vague.  Many have little if any changed verbage.  Most make new issues, along with them, with their patchwork of poor code, piled over 4 years very badly.  

The fix things on the fly, can good and bad. One thing at a time, is usually easier to know what caused an issue, normally.   Which in a normal network would make trouble shooting a bit easier.  Home network and its troubleshooting, doesnt have a great record for even acknowledging things are issues, let alone quickly responding and addressing quickly once they are.  Tossing bandaids in at any time, making who knows what consequences, given the home core teams track record, i can see leading to more issues, down time, if they dont troubleshoot test, far better and completely shift their mindsets.

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 70 (286 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
31520 posts

Apr 8, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

• More Item Types – Including portable items with gameplay features and new types of Locomotion objects.
  • Player Inspect – Allowing players to inspect other players, see what items they are wearing and where they got them.
  • Improved Commerce Points – New systems to make the commerce process smoother and easier.
  • Events – Supporting broader and more engaging social & gaming events within Home. 

only things that sound interesting to me.

curious as to what the new event feature update will bring. but it sounds like something that would only matter if we actually start to get events again.

hopefully we get more descriptive details soon.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 70 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
396 posts

Apr 8, 2013
wow im amazed cant they see with a little foresight that being able to isolate individual users as to their clothing items is of most benefit to people that use packet sniffers to identify object codes and this will subtantially simplify process.
i bet theyre frothing at the mouth for this update lol
Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 70 (227 Views)
Gaming Beast
1499 posts

Apr 8, 2013

therob21 wrote:

Hopefully this new update will help a lot of people, including myself. Just hope no issues come with this...

Dreamer.

“Its like Home is on life support but what does it need? A new kidney? Heart transplant? Its is too weak to even go [through] such a procedure? and worst off the doctors wont even talk to us ..... Is there anything we can do to keep Home alive?” - TSUNADE1224

Home is a great idea, but someone forgot to hire an experienced pilot to fly this plane. - MysticMur

Anyone knows when we should be getting our keleidoscope hair back? - TSUNADE1224
Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 70 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
10394 posts

Apr 8, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

Specific spawn points for users that have been invited to a scene:  I'm not exactly sure what this all means, but I will be curious to see how this is implemented and what it really will do.   

I don't have any specifics on this, but it may be based on a developer request I made (and probably others as well).  If it is, it allows developers to specify spawn points within a space that are not meant to be used as general entry points. Currently when an invited player shows up, they show up at the closest spawn point to the owner. In the Mansion first floor there are four spawn points: 1) at the front door, 2) at the top of the stairs, 3&4) at the back doors. These were there to reflect all the ways you could enter the space from the other parts of the Mansion. We wanted to specify that invited players always appeared at the front door, but there was no way to do it. So invited players might show up at the back, for instance. It looks like this has now been addressed.

If I am right, the big win here is that games can now have more control about where you spawn. I am hoping this is what I think it is.

That mean's...Lockwood was waiting on this multi-spawn point for a while ever since their announcement for new spawn point on their persona spaces

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png

QUOTE OF THE WEEK: &quotMe love sum animes!" -AL2009man 2014
Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 70 (202 Views)
0 Likes