Gaming Beast
1429 posts

Re: Lock-a-Doodle WARNING, friends cannot play unless they own it.

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2013

It's true Liza, I'll pretty much take ALMOST anything on home regardless of whether or not it's stuff I'd do otherwise. The reason why is the level of customization Home offers. One reason I don't play many games is because of the lack of this.

Most of the games on home are a chore, but i still find it more entertaining then modern video games.

However, I draw the line when I get suckered into buying something because of false advertising, regardless of the price.

I could certainly buy this game for all my friends as apparently some people are doing, but why would I do something so foolish as to provide further revenue to a lousy company for an inferior, faulty product with horrible rewards that relies on deceptive wording to trick customers into buying it?

The people who buy into this any further are just encouraging this sort of poor marketing and low quality products in the future, so have fun with that.

By the way, I now have 3 color swapped T-shirts and 2 pairs of paint stained "jeggings". Fabulous. All nothing but storage clutter.

Also people, keep in mind that  you have a very limited word pool unless you buy  the doodle packs,  and even then the same words come up frequently.

I have no problem with and always buy upgrades that give you an edge, but LKWD is really pushing it by making core elements of such a game only available through purchases. More words, and more colors? In a picture doodling game? And your friends can't make use of the upgrades you bought? Nice job LKWD. Your quality just shines through every ounce of this fantastic product.

Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 86 (338 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
387 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Thanks for the heads up , I seen it this morning and figured friends would have to purchase it as well sein how the price is so high and as a dev. trying to make money while not a consumer friendly idea ,why would they allow 1 person to purchase it so others can play for free when they know they can make more money by charging everyone.

With the price tag of 29.99 for the bundle I can think of many other games I could purchase used or marked down at gamestop that would be alot more fun while feeling like I got money's worth.

I do understand with games not home related friends must own the game as well to play it but in this case its home and 29.99 for a game just turns me away as soon as I see the tag until these games get as good as many great games I can purchase at gamestop for the same price or lower in alot of cases.

Sorry to anyone who is not happy after making this purchase.

I'm not one to complain but for a few reasons I just felt I should voice my opinion on this game/space.

Twitter- @ALEXELWAY7

Youtube - ALEXELWAY
Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 86 (326 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1429 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 19, 2013

LKWD_Tim wrote:

Hi all,

I understand that the Lock-a-doodle pre-order bundle isn't cheap, which appears to be one of the primary concerns here, but you do get an awful lot in the bundle so we tried to price it accordingly. And yes, it’s true that both you and your friend(s) need to own the game to play together, but the most expensive pre-order bundle isn’t your only option! You can send/receive just the Lock-a-doodle game and easel via the Gift Machine for 512 tokens, or purchase the studio apartment with built in game for $6.99, or just purchase the active object on its own for $6.99 (this is coming soon, as it appears to have been left out of the commerce point for some reason – we’ve contact Sony about it already). Any of these options will give you the game to be able to play with your friends though :smileyhappy:

Just  want to go back and comment on this properly. The main issue here is NOT the pre-order bundle's price. The issue is friends not being able to play. I had no problem paying the price this morning when I, based on the wording of the item description as well as the LKWD website, assumed I was purchasing this for myself as well as my friends. 

There is NOTHING in the item description or website stating that friend's need their own copy to play, you do not find this out until after purchase. In fact, as  HIW pointed out, the descriptions "Choose a word and doodle it for a friend to guess, or accept their challenge to guess something they’ve doodled." and "Create Doodles for your friends to guess" implies friends CAN play without a separate purchase, and these deceptive wordings were what i based my purchase on.

It really seems like the omission of this knowledge prior to purchase is because people are less likely to buy it knowing that information beforehand. Why else would such basic information people need be omitted? It was even absent from the "how-to" video. The video simply stated "choose an existing friend", and again made no mention friends needed their own.

I know I certainly wouldn't have wasted 29 dollars on this if I had known friends couldn't play. I might have bought the clubhouse at most, IF that. 

So unless I recieve a  refund on this, or friends are able to play and make use of the owner's doodle packs and words, you've permanently lost a customer, one who was willing to pay 29 dollars without batting an eye under the assumption that my friends would be able to play this game and utilize my upgrades. 

And judging by the responses on this thread, the company's ideals of getting more people to buy their own instead of just letting friends play has backfired, and caused lost sales of people who would have otherwisre bought it. Hopefully word will start getting out among the non-forum population in Home as well, even if I have to leave the comfort of my private apartments/clubs to do it myself.

Also, 512 tokens isn't  "cheap". It requires a minimum of a 9.99 purchase if you have no tokens already. Even the 480 the bundle comes requires a minimum of 32 tokens, and that's only good for one gift.

Obviously I understand devs needing to make money and normally don't mind rewards being owner only, but deceptive wording and crippling the "social" features of what's being touted as a "social game" is where I draw the line, especially at  these absurd prices. 

Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 86 (303 Views)
Wastelander
481 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Tarazuma wrote:

Friends cannot play unless they own it or are gifted it for 512 tokens. I just wasted $29 on the pre-order bundle assuming that friends could play. Also I thought, stupidly, that friends would be able to use the doodle packs I bought as well, which was why I bought the large bundle. Really foolish assumptions on my behalf right? Considering the whole premise is "doodle with your friends!!!"?

This is one of those rare cases I wish I could recieve a refund. It says NOWHERE in the item description that friends must purchase their own to play, you don't find this out until a friend attempts to play and it informs them that they must own it.

This is an absolute ripoff, and the last time I am purchasing ANYTHING from Lockwood. I should have known better. I thought, since this was their first clubhouse, they were finally starting to listen to consumer feedback. But no, they have actually taken a step BACKWARDS with this. 

Oh, and the 2 active items that come with it are ridiculous as well. Lock-a-doodle itself takes 27 slots, and the easel for displaying pictures takes a ludicrous 25. There was no way of knowing this before purchase either, as it's only included in the bundles.

I'd advise anyone who hasn't purchased anything from this scam to refrain from doing so, unless you also plan on buying lock-a-doodles for all your friends.

Update: I was trying it out with a friend that bought it, and the game doesn't even run properly. After drawing and/or guessing a pic, when you go to continue the game, it either becomes "unavailable" or you have to rejoin the apt or club (we tried it in both just to make sure) to continue the game, and you will have to do this repeatedly just to keep the game going. Even to the point of having to rejoin just to see if your friend guessed the picture.

Thanks for the info. I won't be picking this space up. NO WAY! Seems more like a ripoff, so this is the first time I have to criticize Lockwood on this one. (even though I like them, this is going too far.)

photo MissRobertaGiantessofGlamourSignature_zpsd7379e58.gif

You can't trust no one except yourself - therob21
Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 86 (295 Views)
Sackboy
290 posts

Apr 17, 2013

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:

LKWD_Tim wrote:

Hi all,

I understand that the Lock-a-doodle pre-order bundle isn't cheap, which appears to be one of the primary concerns here, but you do get an awful lot in the bundle so we tried to price it accordingly. And yes, it’s true that both you and your friend(s) need to own the game to play together, but the most expensive pre-order bundle isn’t your only option! You can send/receive just the Lock-a-doodle game and easel via the Gift Machine for 512 tokens, or purchase the studio apartment with built in game for $6.99, or just purchase the active object on its own for $6.99 (this is coming soon, as it appears to have been left out of the commerce point for some reason – we’ve contact Sony about it already). Any of these options will give you the game to be able to play with your friends though :smileyhappy:

Random games are live and work on a turn basis, just like every game of Lock-a-doodle. When you launch into a new random game you will either be offered to guess someone else’s doodle (if there is one available at the time) or draw your own for a random Lock-a-doodle player. Once this is complete you can access the ongoing game from the ‘continue’ menu when there is a turn to be taken.

We've fixed a small issue which sometimes caused a crash and the 'game unavailable' text to appear, this should go live next week or the week after – apologies for this.

Thank you for the feedback so far, though, I'm passing it on to the team.

Kind regards,

Tim

Thanks, Tim! I just bought the pre-release bundle and gifted the game to everyone in my club. This is a lot of fun! :smileyhappy:

Wow, thank you Joyce. You're the best. I look forward to doodling with you later.  :heart:

Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 86 (271 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1897 posts

Apr 18, 2013
I was a bit upset about this matter of not being able to play with friends aswell, I purchased the space this morning and discovered this.

Perhaps it's Lockwoods idea of making more sales, but I believe a notification of the matter should have edleast been adressed.

It's still a nice space to play the game with others who own it though, it just is'nt as interactive as I had hoped. :catsad:
Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 86 (225 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
760 posts

Apr 18, 2013
I do enjoy the game and the rewards honestly aren't that great. I bought the clubhouse skin and extra packs cause I thought it was a play for all (otherwise what's the point of it being a clubhouse). If u would have know my friends had to pay to play I would have bought the personal space. The description is very misleading and I am very disappointed.
nelsig
Please use plain text.
Message 57 of 86 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1514 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2013

LegoFire wrote:
I was a bit upset about this matter of not being able to play with friends aswell, I purchased the space this morning and discovered this.

Perhaps it's Lockwoods idea of making more sales, but I believe a notification of the matter should have edleast been adressed.

It's still a nice space to play the game with others who own it though, it just is'nt as interactive as I had hoped. :catsad:

If I had the active item, I would TOTALLY play this game with you, Lego. I am looking forward to visiting this space though later in the week. Domo arrigato! :smileyhappy:

And @joyce - wow, you are very generous soul, sending your club members the active item in the GM. Your club MUST rock!

Please use plain text.
Message 58 of 86 (208 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3286 posts

Apr 18, 2013

After having the opportunity to see the space I am more then certain that I will not be buying this space.  I was looking to buy another club skin and this seemed really nice based on the videos available.  The game is useless if you don't have friends who have the game, but you do have the option to play with others that bought the game, but what if they don't want to play with you and only with their friends?  There should be an option to play alone, especially if you can't find anyone to play with.  The space seems like Andy's room where everything is too large for my taste, I'm like tumbelina LOL. 

Also it makes absolutely no sense to make a club version of this space if your friends need to have the game too.  I mean obviously your gonna have a lot of people in your club right?  So why bake a game in a club only the owner can use?  Also if you buy the additional sticker pack only you can use it and not the others people who don't own it, so now in order to use the additional packs others are force to invest even more into the game THIS IS NOT GOOD no matter how you put it. 

Please use plain text.
Message 59 of 86 (186 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1897 posts

Apr 18, 2013

goddessbunny42 wrote:

LegoFire wrote:

If I had the active item, I would TOTALLY play this game with you, Lego. I am looking forward to visiting this space though later in the week. Domo arrigato! :smileyhappy:

And @joyce - wow, you are very generous soul, sending your club members the active item in the GM. Your club MUST rock!

Well, you're more than welcome to come by sometime, I'm glad to give tours and let people take a look around.

So if interested just send me a message.
Please use plain text.
Message 60 of 86 (159 Views)