Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
3910 posts

Re: (OPINIONS) How long do you think PS Home has left?

Apr 28, 2013

I haven't read thru this thread so my answer is based on the threads queation & imma say that once we hit Decemeber I believe Home has about 3 more yrs if its not on the PS4 

facebook.com/gamer316
Please use plain text.
Message 91 of 118 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2436 posts

Apr 28, 2013

I thought Shadow-Runner's post was well thought out. http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/OPINIONS-How-long-do-you-think-PS-Home-has-l... Whether ot not what anything said comes to pass remains to be seen. The developers would hopefully be told something.

I believe Home will be around for a few years or as long as SONY sells and supports the PS3. As to Home on the PS4, who knows? Not me.

Born in the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen
trolling is for fishing, not the forums

Please use plain text.
Message 92 of 118 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
410 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 28, 2013

im suprised more people have nt mentioned Bigfest a sony trademark that sounds suspiciously similar similar to home in the services that it provides http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/29/is-bigfest-sonys-new-playstation-home

Please use plain text.
Message 93 of 118 (217 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1807 posts

Apr 28, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:

You've seen some of the changes already over the years and very recently!

*Home staff changing to Digital Platform staff (Shadow, their jobs are secured lol)

*HCV program being scrapped, new applicants becoming MVP's instead.

*A move away from finicky local/cloud data mixups to a core client that runs everything from an all-cloud setup. Likely 3rd party.

*A new method adding content or features to Home which is again, more cost efficient.

*Layoffs of core staff, with a shift in objectives for the remaining staff.

*A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT social experience on the PS4 from what Home is.

*Home being confirmed as "not a priority" from up top.

*We hear less and less about Sony's sales figures for Home. We've never heard if Home has actually made a profit, ever. Now we don't even know what they're making on Home period!

While Ed made some excellent points, I have a different interpretation of some of the changes that are being made.  I'm just going to speak on the most recent changes, as they are where the current direction of Home can be seen...

• A move away from finicky local/cloud data mixups to a core client that runs everything from an all-cloud setup. Likely 3rd party.

I think that this infers that not only are they trying to protect Home data (such as the ability to load new ISE files into the Home saves), while also making a move to the PS4 an easier transition.  Even if you only agree with it being a way to protect Home data - why would they feel the need to do this, if Home will not be around much longer?

• A new method adding content or features to Home which is again, more cost efficient.

This to me, says that they are trying to make it easier for new Developers, who are not as experienced with the program, as well as make it easier, and quicker for our current Developers to create and release new content.  Why would they be making any changes, if there were no plans for Home's future?

• We hear less and less about Sony's sales figures for Home. We've never heard if Home has actually made a profit, ever. Now we don't even know what they're making on Home period!

Home must be making a profit, or they would have scrapped it long before now.  Why the secrecy?  I do not know, but perhaps they have plans for improvements that they want to be kept secret until the time at which they are ready, and they know if they release that information they will get a lot more complaints about how they are making money so they should be fixing things (that are in the works already).

• A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT social experience on the PS4 from what Home is.

I think the fact that the PS4 will be so centered on social aspects, is what secures Home for the PS4.  Home may be a completely different social experience, but if they see the need to focus the PS4 on so many different social media applications, I can't see them not including Home.

• Home staff changing to Digital Platform staff
  • HCV program being scrapped, new applicants becoming MVP's instead.

I think both of these point to trying to integrate Home with the rest of the gaming community.  We have been separated far too long.  While there are many "gamers" on Home, there are far more who view Home negatively.  I suspect they are trying to change this.

I would like to point out the new core updates we have been getting and the ones that are set to be released.  Why would they be pouring their resources into core updates, if not to continue Home?  Some of the improvements in the the thread Home 1.80 Patch Notes are things the Home community has been requesting for a very long time.

So, I guess you can put me on the optimistic list.  LOL 

Lastly, about the lack of community spirit...  Here's what I don't get - when we hear that a Home public space is being retired, what do we do?  Sure there are complaints, but usually we throw a party and reminisce about all our our great times there! 

Sure, I have spent a lot of money in Home, but I have spent lots of money on other PS games and I don't expect to get half the replay out of them.

So, my question is, if you KNEW Home would not be around next week, what would you do?  Sure, people will be sad or upset, but is that really how you would want to spend you last week in Home?

I guess what I'm suggesting is that if you think that Home is going to be around for a long time, you should enjoy it - And, conversely, if you don't think Home will be around much longer, you should enjoy it while it lasts. 

Please use plain text.
Message 94 of 118 (205 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

Apr 28, 2013

anamri wrote:

So, my question is, if you KNEW Home would not be around next week, what would you do?  Sure, people will be sad or upset, but is that really how you would want to spend you last week in Home?

I guess what I'm suggesting is that if you think that Home is going to be around for a long time, you should enjoy it - And, conversely, if you don't think Home will be around much longer, you should enjoy it while it lasts.   

I suspect it comes down to being kept informed and when it comes to making choices on how we spend our time and money some would like to know just how long we have left before we decide to spend time and money on a service that may not be around long enough to enjoy it.

If Sony knows or has an end date in mind, when would you want them to let you know that?  I doubt most people would be happy to spend $20 on some Home items, only to find out the service is closing in a month.  I'm sure there are others who don't care if Sony gives any kind of deadline, but I'm also sure there are many that do.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Please use plain text.
Message 95 of 118 (186 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3140 posts

Apr 28, 2013

Hey anamri,

First thanks for taking the time to read through all my points. I want to make a couple of things clear though:

I said I think Home has a couple of years left which is a fair amount of time for any online service. That would mean in total Home would have been available to the public for 8 years. Commendable. I have never said it's going away very soon so I'm not sure why you're reading my points in this way.

I think you make some fair comments so I'd like to reply to some of them:

"I think that this infers that not only are they trying to protect Home data (such as the ability to load new ISE files into the Home saves), while also making a move to the PS4 an easier transition.  Even if you only agree with it being a way to protect Home data - why would they feel the need to do this, if Home will not be around much longer?"

They'd do it for greater stability, improvement of the service. Many software developers continue to support and improve their applications until the very day they close. Additional support does not guarantee a very distant expiry date. Again, I never said Home wasn't going to be around much longer. 2 years is a lot of time for changes.

This to me, says that they are trying to make it easier for new Developers, who are not as experienced with the program, as well as make it easier, and quicker for our current Developers to create and release new content.  Why would they be making any changes, if there were no plans for Home's future?

Why new developers specifically? I like to think these improvements will be implemented for the benefit of all developers and publishers. This allows them to get more content and features to us buyers in much faster time contraints, and 2 years is a lot of time. If it's more efficient to have in place, and automates the service then it makes sense to do it. Digital Platforms staff will be very overstretched resources in the coming months/years. Services than practically look after themselves is the way to go. It's not about Home's future in this case, it's about easing the burden on employers/employees. Time is money.

Home must be making a profit, or they would have scrapped it long before now.  Why the secrecy?  I do not know, but perhaps they have plans for improvements that they want to be kept secret until the time at which they are ready, and they know if they release that information they will get a lot more complaints about how they are making money so they should be fixing things (that are in the works already).

1) We have to stop pretending any of us know whether Home is profitable or not. We have no figures to work with. You have to remember Home cost many millions to make and up until Q2 2009 almost no money was being generated for or by Home and it's partnerships. You then have to reign in costs for hiring staff, all their bonuses, the endless costs of in-house data servers prior to 2012/13, that everything you buy on Home Sony only gets a royalty of it unless they developed the content, that a lot of their money made through Home sponsorships is nearly lost through other means. It's not as black and white as "lots of us use Home and buy things and Home hasn't shut yet therefore it's profitable."  I really wish it were that simple, but without any real figures we simply don't know.

2) Making lots of money and making more money than you spend are different things.

I think both of these point to trying to integrate Home with the rest of the gaming community.  We have been separated far too long.  While there are many "gamers" on Home, there are far more who view Home negatively.  I suspect they are trying to change this.

I really don't think we matter nearly as much as this statement seems to imply. We're just the same as everyone else and everyone is being brought together, not just Homeys. There are 5 points to Sony's new vision and strategy and this decision to remove Home specific titles or duties is reflective of those points.

----------

I admire your optimism about Home and totally agree with your comments about community spirit :smileyhappy: in the long run we should enjoy ourselves and not invest too much time in worrying about whether Home stays or not. It's not healthy and it's completely out of our hands. They've likely made a decision already and all we can do is hope it's in our favour, whatever opinion we have of Home. I made my decision a couple of months ago. I rarely log into Home these days but when I do I make sure I have a good time, dabble in a bit of purchasing to support it and stuff. I share your view of enjoying it while it lasts :smileyhappy:

Jersquall: Any new news on Home on PS4 yet?

Tempest_Fire: Due to a shifting landscape, PlayStation Home will cease publishing new content on November 12, 2014.

Please use plain text.
Message 96 of 118 (178 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1807 posts

Apr 28, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

anamri wrote:

I suspect it comes down to being kept informed and when it comes to making choices on how we spend our time and money some would like to know just how long we have left before we decide to spend time and money on a service that may not be around long enough to enjoy it.

If Sony knows or has an end date in mind, when would you want them to let you know that?  I doubt most people would be happy to spend $20 on some Home items, only to find out the service is closing in a month.  I'm sure there are others who don't care if Sony gives any kind of deadline, but I'm also sure there are many that do.

Yes, of course, I would like to know if they were closing Home in a month.  I would like to think they would let us know before that.  I don't think they would shut the gates on the Home community with no advance word.  Which is another reason I think that it will be around for a long time yet.  But like I said, I'm a bit on the optimistic side.

Please use plain text.
Message 97 of 118 (162 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29169 posts

Apr 28, 2013

anamri wrote:

Yes, of course, I would like to know if they were closing Home in a month.  I would like to think they would let us know before that.  I don't think they would shut the gates on the Home community with no advance word.  Which is another reason I think that it will be around for a long time yet.  But like I said, I'm a bit on the optimistic side.

It's not closing in a month or a year for that matter. I suspect if it doesn't make it to the PS4 it will continue for the life of the PS3 or until the community no longer supports it. 

I just can't get involved in the pessimistic side here that some seem to be so ready to engage in. They can't tell us yet because they've been told it's not for public consumtion. It can't be too much longer given E3 isn't that far away. For those who prefer to continue speculating fine. It's not going to be announced until they are ready.

I'm willing to sit back and enjoy the service now and for however long it has left be it only on the PS3 or into the lifespan of the PS4. We'll know soon enough. 

Please use plain text.
Message 98 of 118 (156 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1807 posts

Apr 28, 2013

EdwCarnby wrote:

Hey anamri,

First thanks for taking the time to read through all my points. I want to make a couple of things clear though:

I said I think Home has a couple of years left which is a fair amount of time for any online service. That would mean in total Home would have been available to the public for 8 years. Commendable. I have never said it's going away very soon so I'm not sure why you're reading my points in this way.

I think you make some fair comments so I'd like to reply to some of them:

"I think that this infers that not only are they trying to protect Home data (such as the ability to load new ISE files into the Home saves), while also making a move to the PS4 an easier transition.  Even if you only agree with it being a way to protect Home data - why would they feel the need to do this, if Home will not be around much longer?"

They'd do it for greater stability, improvement of the service. Many software developers continue to support and improve their applications until the very day they close. Additional support does not guarantee a very distant expiry date. Again, I never said Home wasn't going to be around much longer. 2 years is a lot of time for changes.

Why new developers specifically? I like to think these improvements will be implemented for the benefit of all developers and publishers. This allows them to get more content and features to us buyers in much faster time contraints, and 2 years is a lot of time. If it's more efficient to have in place, and automates the service then it makes sense to do it. Digital Platforms staff will be very overstretched resources in the coming months/years. Services than practically look after themselves is the way to go. It's not about Home's future in this case, it's about easing the burden on employers/employees. Time is money.

1) We have to stop pretending any of us know whether Home is profitable or not. We have no figures to work with. You have to remember Home cost many millions to make and up until Q2 2009 almost no money was being generated for or by Home and it's partnerships. You then have to reign in costs for hiring staff, all their bonuses, the endless costs of in-house data servers prior to 2012/13, that everything you buy on Home Sony only gets a royalty of it unless they developed the content, that a lot of their money made through Home sponsorships is nearly lost through other means. It's not as black and white as "lots of us use Home and buy things and Home hasn't shut yet therefore it's profitable."  I really wish it were that simple, but without any real figures we simply don't know.

2) Making lots of money and making more money than you spend are different things.

I really don't think we matter nearly as much as this statement seems to imply. We're just the same as everyone else and everyone is being brought together, not just Homeys. There are 5 points to Sony's new vision and strategy and this decision to remove Home specific titles or duties is reflective of those points.

----------

I admire your optimism about Home and totally agree with your comments about community spirit :smileyhappy: in the long run we should enjoy ourselves and not invest too much time in worrying about whether Home stays or not. It's not healthy and it's completely out of our hands. They've likely made a decision already and all we can do is hope it's in our favour, whatever opinion we have of Home. I made my decision a couple of months ago. I rarely log into Home these days but when I do I make sure I have a good time, dabble in a bit of purchasing to support it and stuff. I share your view of enjoying it while it lasts :smileyhappy:

Sorry, Ed, I should have been more clear.  I was half replying to your post and half replying to the thread in general, using your very well made points.  I agree, 2 years is a long time. 

Although, I do not see why they would bother improving the service, using more time an money, if they had a close date already.  Sure, a lot of software developers continue to support their services until they end, but Home is seeing an increase in changes and improvements right now.   They are spending more time and money on Home. 

As for the profitablity of Home (or lack of)... During the creation process it is not just acceptable, but expected to have high costs.  It is seen as an investment.  Five years is more than enough time to see a return on that investment.  If it was not showing a return that is acceptable, it doesn't make sense for it to have continued this long.  While I would like to see some numbers to back that up, as we all would, I just don't see how it's possible for Home to remain up longer than 2 years without any sign of profit.  I really do believe it is that simple (but maybe I'm just a simple person :smileylol:). 

"I admire your optimism about Home and totally agree with your comments about community spirit :smileyhappy: in the long run we should enjoy ourselves and not invest too much time in worrying about whether Home stays or not. It's not healthy and it's completely out of our hands. They've likely made a decision already and all we can do is hope it's in our favour, whatever opinion we have of Home."

I could not agree more! - And even when Home does end (as it can't be expected to continue forever), we all still have the community we have shared so much time with (even if it's not in Home).  After all, the heart of Home is really the community.

Please use plain text.
Message 99 of 118 (155 Views)
I Only Post Everything
731 posts

Apr 29, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

anamri wrote:

This sums my feelings exactly. I would be spending a lot more on Home right now but I'm cutting back on my purchases until we have a better idea where Home is heading. 

"He's but one man. One man alone cannot fight the future."
-Conrad Strughold, The X-Files

Home-Brainiac-Winner-Ren_Echo.gif

Please use plain text.
Message 100 of 118 (133 Views)
0 Likes