Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sackboy
359 posts

Re: Swapped hard drive with SSD drive

[ Edited ]
May 30, 2013

goddessbunny42 wrote:
DCS - I have a sense of dread that our game saves and trophies are going cloud-based as well on the PS4 for everyone.  :smileyindifferent: I know games saves are happening on the cloud (or could be ported over an option) for those that are PS-Plus Members. Please someone, please say that this will not be the case ... of it is is, please provide the trade mag/blog link so I can read this! Thanks! :smileyhappy:

You do know that our Trophies are already and have always been saved to Sony's servers right??? They are not saved on your system. So if you don't sync them (the sync operation is to upload the trophy data to the server) often and your system crashes you loose all that hard work.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 45 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
359 posts

May 30, 2013

HotChick955 wrote:

DCS-Tekken wrote:

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:
So goddess, does this mean if I reduce my Home cache setting, I could get load times to speed up? I always have had it set to the largest, as I thought that would make it more convenient/faster. Now I'm second guessing myself.

It's always seems to move better with the lower settings... Everytime i use the biggest settings i end up having more problems on Home!

Oh Well! But that may just be me!

And i'm only using 160GB HDD on my Home PS3! The one it came with!

But even on my other 500GB HDD for home it didn't make a Difference either way....

The size of the hard drive does not change anything in terms of speed. It only gives you more space and you can have more games on your PS3.

I don't play too many games (Home, GTA IV, Need for Speed... and that's basically it). So for me a 120 GB drive is by far big enough.

That is not completely correct.

While the size itself for an empty HDD does not change its speed, once data (which includes the OS and any system update data, and yes the PS3 has its own OS) is on the drive, a larger drive will be slower as it has much more to search through to retrieve the data it maybe looking for. So yes once its got a good amount of data on it, it will be slower.

With that said, the real factors that affect HDD speeds are 2 things (other then what I just mentioned) 1st) is how fast the HDD can spin most standard drives are only 5400 RPM, it is preferable to have a drive that spins at 7200 RPM, there are drives that spin up to 15,000 RPM but they are more specialty drives and won't work in all systems nor would be beneficial to use in a PS3 as it couldn't handle the drive. 2nd) is the HDD's cache size, the lager the better, but that comes at a price, cheaper drives will have a small cache while more expensive and better drives will have a larger more preferable size cache.

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 45 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
359 posts

May 30, 2013

Bradley_Davis129 wrote:
I'm gonna get one of the Seagate hybrids :smileyhappy:

Hey Bradley I have the Seagate Momentus XT hybrid Hard Drive in my system. Its a 500 GB, 7200 RPM, 32 MB cache drive. I've had it in my system for over a year now and I have to say its a great drive. You will notice a nice speed increase specially seeing that the drives Sony installs in the systems are only 5400 RPM units. But what most ppl don't realize is that is another great side benefit to hybrids is they actually run cooler by a few degrees, which might not sound like much but inside an enclosed tightly confined case like the PS3 it makes a big difference. To help you shop it better the drive when I bought it over a year ago cost me $145 and change, it should of come down in price by now either that or you should be able to get the 750 GB for that same price.. Good luck and if you do get one hope you are as happy with it as I am. 

BTW: Not that it really matters but just for reference, my system is an 80 GB Fat that this drive went into.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 45 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
359 posts

May 30, 2013

superlatives wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

superlatives wrote:

Hot Chick (or anyone with techie knowledge!):

Either from experience OR "guess", do you have any indication if the use of a SSD drive would do anything to mitigate getting "frozen" in Home?

At least with the "old" freeze glitch, it occurred because the merged clothing overwhelmed the console. But if  the SSD loads that fast, MAYBE it's fast enough to handle a freeze.

Thanks for any insight.

My understanding of the freezing exploit is that the only way to be safe is to use the same DNS address as the person causing the freezing... Which I would not recommend as some DNS address are set up by hackers who use them to gather IP addresses for nefarious reasons.

I am fairly certain what type of HDD you have has absolutely nothing to do with getting your system frozen by this exploit, as the initial load times are still limited to the network and not your HDD - only when the data is in your cache would having a faster HDD help.

D-Nitrate:

Thanks for your input!

When I saw the observation of avatars loading almost instantly, I thought a SSD drive MAY be fast enough to "buffer" the merged outfits. And if that were the case, overcoming the freeze glitch would make buying a SSD drive a HIGH priority purchase.

D-Nitrate is correct in the fact that there is no HDD type that will help or prevent you from freezing.. But keep this in mind a SSD unlike a HDD has no moving parts to fail. And even though I've seen many on here 'claim' that freezing causes or has caused their HDD to fail (typically not true) if you were worried by their claims an SSD would not be prone to such an issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 45 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
256 posts

May 30, 2013

U2crazy4me wrote:

HotChick955 wrote:

DCS-Tekken wrote:

JoyceHairhelmet wrote:
So goddess, does this mean if I reduce my Home cache setting, I could get load times to speed up? I always have had it set to the largest, as I thought that would make it more convenient/faster. Now I'm second guessing myself.

It's always seems to move better with the lower settings... Everytime i use the biggest settings i end up having more problems on Home!

Oh Well! But that may just be me!

And i'm only using 160GB HDD on my Home PS3! The one it came with!

But even on my other 500GB HDD for home it didn't make a Difference either way....

The size of the hard drive does not change anything in terms of speed. It only gives you more space and you can have more games on your PS3.

I don't play too many games (Home, GTA IV, Need for Speed... and that's basically it). So for me a 120 GB drive is by far big enough.

That is not completely correct.

While the size itself for an empty HDD does not change its speed, once data (which includes the OS and any system update data, and yes the PS3 has its own OS) is on the drive, a larger drive will be slower as it has much more to search through to retrieve the data it maybe looking for. So yes once its got a good amount of data on it, it will be slower.

With that said, the real factors that affect HDD speeds are 2 things (other then what I just mentioned) 1st) is how fast the HDD can spin most standard drives are only 5400 RPM, it is preferable to have a drive that spins at 7200 RPM, there are drives that spin up to 15,000 RPM but they are more specialty drives and won't work in all systems nor would be beneficial to use in a PS3 as it couldn't handle the drive. 2nd) is the HDD's cache size, the lager the better, but that comes at a price, cheaper drives will have a small cache while more expensive and better drives will have a larger more preferable size cache.

The marked statement is only applies for mechanical hard drives. SSDs don't have things like RPM and Seek Time. The (not existing) "head" on a SSD does not need to be repositioned many times to get to all the spread out data from the "drive" (memory). Therefore the response from a SSD does not slow down when when it is more or less full. The response is always immediate.

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 45 (141 Views)
0 Likes